Bilstien 5160 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bilstien 5160

So I have been reading a few articles and it seems that these shocks kick some serious ass.

Anyone on the forum find them for sale yet? better yet, anyone running them?

The article was in a 4 wheel mag, so might be biased. I am looking for any opinions as I am looking to upgrade my shocks very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Have them, like them.....

Just gotta rip off those ugly boots

no jeep here...
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

If you don't mind me asking where did you get them?

Did you buy the fancy mount for the remote res. or just ziptie it up out of they way?
Any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

154 views and nothing?

c'mon guys any opinions? pikturs help?

post #5 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Not sure if these have been shipped yet.
The Off-Road.com Project Jeep will be getting one of the first sets of these shocks and will do a full review on them in late Aug. or early Sept.

Off-road.com
JK Project
Recession Cheap Cherokee
JK Project 2
post #6 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

I got the 5150's for the rear of mine.. I haven't installed them yet..But I got a good place to buy them..PM me if your interested.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBach View Post
Not sure if these have been shipped yet.
The Off-Road.com Project Jeep will be getting one of the first sets of these shocks and will do a full review on them in late Aug. or early Sept.
Ahh I see. Looking forward to the write-up
post #8 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Partial Thread Hi-Jack:

I'm going to ask a retardedly stupid question, but here goes anyway...

I have 5100's on all four corners, but are not convinced I have the right shock. Can anyone tell me the performance difference between the 5100's, 5150's, and 5160's?

Thanks!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #9 of 19 Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Partial Thread Hi-Jack:

I have 5100's on all four corners, but are not convinced I have the right shock. Can anyone tell me the performance difference between the 5100's, 5150's, and 5160's?

Thanks!

RC
Probably not enough to notice unless you like driving fast on rough roads or sand washes.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #10 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
So I have been reading a few articles and it seems that these shocks kick some serious ass.

Anyone on the forum find them for sale yet? better yet, anyone running them?

The article was in a 4 wheel mag, so might be biased. I am looking for any opinions as I am looking to upgrade my shocks very soon.
Ill give bilstein a call tomorrow and check there availability. We are right down the street from them and are a major distributor of theirs...ill get you all the info i can round up.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #11 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORWJK View Post
Ill give bilstein a call tomorrow and check there availability. We are right down the street from them and are a major distributor of theirs...ill get you all the info i can round up.
Excellent!
post #12 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Excellent!
Hey, just got off the phone with our Bilstein Rep. and here's the deal. They are still in production and haven't hit the streets yet according to them they are still in testing but are going to be pretty sweet. He told me to expect them to be available late august for around $200 each. I'll post when they are available and we will be the first to have them considering i can go to there warehouse and back in about 20 minutes

If you looking for something compatible may i suggest checking out the Fox brand we also carry these shocks in stock...and these are already proven to be one of the best out. The remote res is $189.00 and we also offer it with a compression adjuster that works bitchin for $256.00. Here's the link for those:

http://offroadwarehouse.com/products.../730/sfID3/734

Hope this helped and let me know if you need anything.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #13 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORWJK View Post
He told me to expect them to be available late august for around $200 each.
Unbelievable... they are coming in at a price higher than the rebuild-able 7100 sells for ?? I'd like to know their logic on that.... I was considering maybe upgrading to these shocks, but no way at that price.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Unbelievable... they are coming in at a price higher than the rebuild-able 7100 sells for ?? I'd like to know their logic on that.... I was considering maybe upgrading to these shocks, but no way at that price.
Crazy huh? that price is not in stone just word of mouth from bilstein i guess we will have to wait and see.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #15 of 19 Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Partial Thread Hi-Jack:

Thanks!

RC
Good, a little better, and much better...but like someone else on here said the reservoir is really for cooling purposes. cooler is better though and one big bonus is that the 5160 is completely rebuild-able and may be revalved for your jeeps config.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #16 of 19 Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

I have had these on my JK for 50K miles. Buy the billet mounts, the hose clamps tend to fall off when the rubber isolator starts to break down or gets weathered. Other than that, AWESOME.

I have the RK 2.5" lift with their lower control arms and track bar. The combo has given me rally car like handling (ok, a shitty slow, heavy, rally car) on dirt roads. I often need to go places that are down 20 miles of deep sandy wooped out farm section roads. These are totally straight roads, but are hard to haul ass on because of the deep dust/sand or, mud if it's been raining. Super demanding of shocks and these never have faded. The stock shocks would just stop working after an hour and got a little worse every time I needed to go there.

Anyone know where to buy the overhaul kits? After 50K they are not as good as they used to be. I rebuild motorcycle shocks all the time, these look simple by comparison. And yes, I have nitrogen and the stuff I need to refill them.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

You can get them from Bilstein. I ordered a couple of kits 2 years ago and remember them being under $30

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #18 of 19 Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

A good source for Bilsteins is e-shocks. Best prices I've found and excellent service.

http://eshocks.com/Bilstein.asp

When looking for JK shocks they have them listed under "Cherokee JK".

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 02-27-2014 at 07:04 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is a link to all the bilstein off road shock info.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/off-road.pdf

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode