clutch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

clutch

just wondering if there is a switch or something somewhere that can be bypassed or tricked into thinking the clutch is fully depressed to the floor. when my wife drives the jeep she has a hard time getting the seat adjusted to the way she likes it and then tries to start the jeep but cant reach the floor or the sweet spot in order to start it due to short legs. i think its funny watching but still would like to do away with it. any suggestions. i how i am clear on what i am trying to say. thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Wheeler

Deployed right now so I can't confirm on my JK, but I know on my TJ there was not a switch that you could actually turn on or off to bypass the clutch mechanism. However, if you look where the clutch pedal contacts the "switch" on the firewall, there should be 2 wires (one in and one out to complete the circuit). I just went ahead and spliced the wires together (completes the circuit full-time) so I could start the jeep in gear for hill starts and what not without using the clutch.
Again, I know for a fact this works on the TJ, might be same same on the JK.
Just tell her to be careful while still in the garage!!! lol

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCTJ View Post
Deployed right now so I can't confirm on my JK, but I know on my TJ there was not a switch that you could actually turn on or off to bypass the clutch mechanism. However, if you look where the clutch pedal contacts the "switch" on the firewall, there should be 2 wires (one in and one out to complete the circuit). I just went ahead and spliced the wires together (completes the circuit full-time) so I could start the jeep in gear for hill starts and what not without using the clutch.
Again, I know for a fact this works on the TJ, might be same same on the JK.
Just tell her to be careful while still in the garage!!! lol
I think this would achieve your goal of starting it without the clutch, but your cruise won't work, to tired to think of what else if anything.

LJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

She can't successfully get the clutch pedal all the way down, but she's supposed to drive it? Sounds like that clutch will be slipping a lot to me. Not all the way disengaged can be as bad as riding the pedal.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

the only time she has an issue is starting it. driving it there isnt an issue. the pedal has such a long travel on it i was just looking to see if i may be able to shorten the distance the pedal has to travel for starting purposes. the clutch doesnt slip goody but i then i thought of where it engages and disengages and it shouldnt be any problem. thanks for the input guys.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Easy fix, get one of her old flip flops and screw a 2x4 on the bottom leave it on the floor on the driver side and see what happens. So a 6in lift and 40s wouldnt be a good bday gift.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
She can't successfully get the clutch pedal all the way down, but she's supposed to drive it? Sounds like that clutch will be slipping a lot to me. Not all the way disengaged can be as bad as riding the pedal.
this ^^^^

post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
Easy fix, get one of her old flip flops and screw a 2x4 on the bottom leave it on the floor on the driver side and see what happens. So a 6in lift and 40s wouldnt be a good bday gift.
Reminds me of the asian kid in Indiana Jones with several blocks of wood on his shoes to reach the pedal.

Poison Spyder BFH w/ TRail Stinger,Teraflex Budget Boost,Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers,Warn M8000,AEM Cold Air Intake,DIY Fender chop
Pro Comp Wheels
Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
I won't even SQUINT, WHICH IS SAD WHEN I'm F-ING ASIAN!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Rock God

i am sure there is a work around because you can start it in 4Lo without touching the clutch.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Rock God

A while ago someone achieved this. He did some easy electrical mod so his JK started in 2wd without the clutch. I don't remember if it was on this site or JKF... but there should be a write-up somewhere.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode