2 door 6 speed - If you have one please read - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2 door 6 speed - If you have one please read

So I'm looking at putting a 1 inch body lift on my 2 door 6 speed - I already have an OME Lift and do not wish to do any more of a suspension lift as I don't want to have to get new drivelines and such right now - thus I am looking at a BL

I have searched

There seems to be lots of posts about BL's being very bad on a 2 door 6speed.

So I am curious to hear from anyone who has a 2 door and a 6 speed with a body lift.

How much of a Body Lift did you use?
Do you have any troubles?
Does it pop out of gear?

Thanks!! I appreciate any and all input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what about trimming your frnders a bit instead of body lift

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

I have a one inch body lift on my 2 door and I did not trim the boot.

It sucks going into reverse no other problems and im sure if I would trim the boot on the shifter it wouldnt have any problems going into reverse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Rock God

Pass on the body lift ... just trim your fenders ..... much less hassle ...

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #5 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have a 1" daystar on mine. I trimmed the boot just because it was a little tough getting into reverse, no big deal, takes 5 minutes.

As for all saying trim the fenders, hell ya. I had to anyways because I am running a 2.5" lift with 37s and I needed to.

As for hassle, none at all. Takes about an hour and that's it. I wouldn't recommend more than an inch though, could have some troubles after that.

My sig is HUGE in Japan

Last edited by Jscwerve; 07-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Rock God

On my 2 door, 6 speed, I have a 1" body lift, and I had to trim the boot. No big deal.

I ran 37s with a 2.5" lift, flat flares, and 1" body lift.

Now I run 40s with essentially a 3.5" lift, 1" body lift and flat flares.

I really like my 1" body lift because I really like the low center of gravity on big tires.

Pics with 37s and with 40s:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Wheeler

I have a 1" M.O.R.E body lift and I trimmed the boot. It was was an easy install, the boot trim was a piece of cake, and I have had no problems with it popping out of gear..I say go for it, it is an easy way to get a little extra tire clearance and it keeps your COG low.

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Poison Spyder Boby Mounted Tire Carrier
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Shrockworks midwidth w/ winch hoop / Linexed
Warn 9.5TI / Spidertrax fairlead / Viking trail line
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
River Raider stretch corners
Smittybilt XRC front enders
post #8 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
On my 2 door, 6 speed, I have a 1" body lift, and I had to trim the boot. No big deal.

I ran 37s with a 2.5" lift, flat flares, and 1" body lift.
I know you are the man with the plan so. Do you think I can ge away with the new RK 2.5 flaties and 37s? Should I go with the body lift too? Im looking for low COG as well.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #9 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
I know you are the man with the plan so. Do you think I can ge away with the new RK 2.5 flaties and 37s? Should I go with the body lift too? Im looking for low COG as well.
With flat flares & a 1" body lift, you can run stock front bumpstops with 4" backspaced wheels or 1" extended bumpstops with 4.5" backspaced wheels. In the rear, you can do it with 2.5" extended bumpstops.

If you do it without the body lift, you will lose uptravel in your suspension because you will need to run taller extended bumpstops.

That is why I did the 1" body lift when I upgraded to 37s.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

post #10 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Personally I would not go with a body lift. From what you are saying then you could lift with a 3 1/4" Rough Country lift. You can get it for less than $400 and it will come with springs, shocks, and all hardware to get your jeep rolling right.

I have been running mine this way with 35" tires and am very happy.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Massey View Post
Personally I would not go with a body lift. From what you are saying then you could lift with a 3 1/4" Rough Country lift. You can get it for less than $400 and it will come with springs, shocks, and all hardware to get your jeep rolling right.

I have been running mine this way with 35" tires and am very happy.
If you're going 2.5" coils don't spend your money on the RC lift. The spacers are fine but when I go coils I'm going to RK's 2.5" kit.

The 2.5" RC springs don't give you 2.5" of lift. It is quite apparent looking at my wife's next to my spacer lifted 2 door.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #12 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Rock God

What matters is bumpstop length and fender clearance, not lift height.

A 3.25" lift with 2.5" extended bumpstops will fit the same tires as a 2.5" lift with 2.5" extended bumpstops.

Especially for a 2 door, a 1" body lift with a 2.5" suspension lift is preferable to an incomplete 3.5"-4" lift.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the input!

I've already trimmed the fenders and will likely go with the 1 inch body lift as I would prefer to keep as much upward travel as possible.

If people aren't really having trouble with the 6spd and BL - other than without trimming to boot having trouble going into reverse - Seems like a good route to go

as many have said "keeps the COG low"

Any hints or anything for trimming the boot? Pictures?
post #14 of 14 Old 07-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonP View Post
Thanks for all the input!

I've already trimmed the fenders and will likely go with the 1 inch body lift as I would prefer to keep as much upward travel as possible.

If people aren't really having trouble with the 6spd and BL - other than without trimming to boot having trouble going into reverse - Seems like a good route to go

as many have said "keeps the COG low"

Any hints or anything for trimming the boot? Pictures?
No one here has done a write-up that I have seen yet.

Here is a write-up from the internet magazine (scroll down in the write-up for the special instructions for 6 speed owners):

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode