Which bestop halfdoor? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Which bestop halfdoor?

I want to get the bestop top and bottom half doors but 4wd.com is confusing me. I see two parts that I can't tell the difference between...

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...01&groupID=766
or
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...01&groupID=63#

They both seem the same to me. Obviously the second one includes the pockets bag thing. But is there something else I'm not seeing?

I want to get the tubes, enclosures, and top half for my 2dr

If any sponsor sells bestop shoot me a PM with price

2007 Sahara 2dr, 3.5" RK X Factor Plus Long Arm, Dana 44 Rubicon front axle w/locker, Dana 44 Rear, Poison Spyder BFH w/stinger, Poison Spyder fenders F&R, Poison Spyder Rocker Knocker, 37" Pitbull Rockers Bias Ply, 17x9 Spyderlocks, 1350 Drive shafts, Hard Rock 4x4 Rear bumper w/tire carrier & gas can mounts, Poly Pro front axle tube, Poison Spyder evap skid. Upcoming: RR Snorkel, Skid plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

from what i can tell the ones pictured with the two door come with the storage bags while the ones pictured on the 4 door are just the door frame with no storage bag.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Yeah, one of them includes the bags, the other doesn't.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

I personally think the Superdoors are a WAY better idea. Very convertible on the trail (full, to half, to none.... all fitting in the back while you wheel).

If you want hard bottoms.... look at the Mopar half doors. A *real* half door at just a few more dollars than the element doors.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
I personally think the Superdoors are a WAY better idea. Very convertible on the trail (full, to half, to none.... all fitting in the back while you wheel).

If you want hard bottoms.... look at the Mopar half doors. A *real* half door at just a few more dollars than the element doors.
i second this. ive been wanting the superdoors for a while now.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

$1,100 for half doors from mopar is insane. I was wanting to get the solid bottom from bestop so I could run it permanently and not worry about the abuse I put it through. Plus I read a really great writeup on here about the element doors w/enclosures being really weather proof.

2007 Sahara 2dr, 3.5" RK X Factor Plus Long Arm, Dana 44 Rubicon front axle w/locker, Dana 44 Rear, Poison Spyder BFH w/stinger, Poison Spyder fenders F&R, Poison Spyder Rocker Knocker, 37" Pitbull Rockers Bias Ply, 17x9 Spyderlocks, 1350 Drive shafts, Hard Rock 4x4 Rear bumper w/tire carrier & gas can mounts, Poly Pro front axle tube, Poison Spyder evap skid. Upcoming: RR Snorkel, Skid plates
post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltstain View Post
I want to get the bestop top and bottom half doors but 4wd.com is confusing me. I see two parts that I can't tell the difference between...

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...01&groupID=766
or
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...01&groupID=63#

They both seem the same to me. Obviously the second one includes the pockets bag thing. But is there something else I'm not seeing?

I want to get the tubes, enclosures, and top half for my 2dr

If any sponsor sells bestop shoot me a PM with price
Too bad you're not in Texas! I'm selling the exact setup you're talking about, PLUS 2 extra Front Tube Doors without Latches. Latches are easy to get at Quadratec.

Here's my ad in the For Sale Section, with pics:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32666

But, since you're NOT in Texas, here's a link to Quadratec, where I bought mine. If you click on the small box in the boxes marked Step 2-5, it'll give you an overall cost, plus you'll get to see what they look like on the Jeep as you build it:

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/b...s/2door_jk.php

To answer your question above, the 4WD Price for the 2-Dr Jeep, is the Tube Doors plus the Element Storage Bags, which can be installed inside or outside of the Tube Doors.

The 4WD Price for the 4-Dr Jeep, is for the Front Tube Doors only.

You're looking Ballpark about $1,100 for the complete Bestop Highrock setup, with the Tube Doors, Door Bags, Door Enclosure Skin, and the Upper Doors (Windows).

The complete Factory Door setup is just over $2K, depending where you buy them..., which includes the Lower Doors, Inner Door Panels and Upper Doors.

I "THINK"..... the Door Review you read, may have been mine. Not sure though!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

'09 Yellow Wrangler X JK - "Scooter"

-Sony CDX-GT540UI Head Unit
-Alpine SPR-17C Coaxial 6.5" Speakers
-Alpine SPR-17S Component 6.5" Speakers With Tweeters & Crossovers
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 400W 4-Ch Amp
-Factory Half-Doors & Full-Doors
-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Tires
-Black Rock Viper 900 Tungsten 17" Wheels
-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!"
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I think the complete factory setup has recently come down in price... more like 1500 for everything (maybe a little less?). If the Element setup really comes in at 1100... it makes zero sense to go that route.... I am sure BLACKBEARD is the best one to tell you why.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I think the complete factory setup has recently come down in price... more like 1500 for everything (maybe a little less?). If the Element setup really comes in at 1100... it makes zero sense to go that route.... I am sure BLACKBEARD is the best one to tell you why.
Yeah, the Factory Half Door prices vary, depending where you buy them. Some other Jeepers were paying less than $900 for the Doors, about $100 for the Door Panels, and under $300 for the Upper Doors. They were buying them through their Dealers. Some Dealers, however, were charging Full Retail Price, and not giving any discounts. My Dealer wasn't taking Door orders, and still isn't. So, at the end of March, I ordered mine through JeepsAreUs, and received them about Mid-June. Mine were just over $2K, which included: Lower Doors, Door Panels, Upper Doors, Door Assembly, and Power Lock Option.

So, you just have to figure which is more $$$-Friendly for you... a set of Bestops at $1,100 a Set, or a set of Factory Halves at $2K+.

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Well... most of us are going to bypass the local dealer if they will not play ball. If I can have the doors shipped to me for 35%+ less than the local guy, he will lose business.

They can cry overhead or whatever, but in reality, the guy I order online from is most likely just another dealer (w/B&M overhead as well) that has come to the realization that to compete in this world, you have to take into account the online deals people can find out there. Often I wish I could support my local shop, but really.... especially in this economy, who is going to pass up 35% off retail?

But, costs aside... what I was getting at with BLACKBEARD being the best to say why, was to point out how much better a real set of halves are. With the Element doors, you lose all the convenience of the Superdoors (i.e. the bottom halves are not easy to store in the back while on the trail), so why have an inferior lower?

Seeing the costs have recently come down considerably... at least to me, it is a no brainer to go factory if you are looking at the two.

To each there own!
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You seem to be contradicting yourself in your recommendation. You said to go with the superdoors (the all cloth doors) over the 2 piece element doors due to their heavy weight. But you're then recommending the factory doors over both, which are going to be heavy and a REAL pain to store in the back. I guess it really doesn't matter but I'm just trying to understand your point here.

I want a door that I can use all the time as a half door, I want a top option that is weather proof and I don't want to spend a fortune because it's a luxury mod in my book and I'm still saving for more performance mods. I think the elements are the best option, UNLESS someone has experience with the 2 piece cloth doors and can verify that they are comfortable to rest your arm on and are weather proof.

Last edited by Kiltstain; 07-22-2010 at 11:57 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Sorry.... didn't mean to confuse.

The Superdoors are a compromise. They don't seal up really well. They aren't bad, but not perfect. What they do buy you (for a lower cost) is a lot of convenience. I have them, like them, and would recommend them... just know that you aren't getting a perfect fit.

The factory half doors seal like the factory full doors, with half the convenience. You are right... the factory halves are not really removable on the trail as you'd find it difficult if not impossible to store them in the back.

The Element doors (IMO) are the worse of both worlds. They don't seal very well (maybe better than the Superdoors, but nothing like the factory doors), you'd find it difficult to store them in the back while on the go (maybe better than the factories, but not by much), and the cost is close to the factory doors. Plus, I think they are the ugliest of the three.

I think, you are best with the Superdoors or factory halves. The question you should ask yourself is do you want a lot of convenience or really nice fitting/looking doors?

I'd love a set of factory halves... but am not willing to pay for them (at least at this point). Would I miss being able to toss them in the back when wheeling and would that bug me, yes. Would I have no further need for my factory fulls, yes. But at this time, I am happy with my factory fulls in the winter and my Superdoors in the other three seasons and on any wheeling trip I know there will not be a lot of rain.

Speaking of rain, we got some on my last trip to the Rubicon... With the Superdoors and bikini top.... I stayed nearly dry. Only a drip here and there, but nothing that would have made my trip less enjoyable.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Oh... one other neat feature of the Superdoors (and I assume the Element doors), is that you will gain a lot of new room to put your foot when driving.... you'll open up the entire length of space between the door and seat.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Oh... one other neat feature of the Superdoors (and I assume the Element doors), is that you will gain a lot of new room to put your foot when driving.... you'll open up the entire length of space between the door and seat.

THANK GOD! I hate the lack of space down there.

Thanks for explaining, I see why the supderdoors can be an awesome investment. I know there is a member on here in Colorado Springs with the full elemental door setup I'll see if I can pay him a visit to see them in person and then make my final decision. Thanks for everyone's input! Love JKO

post #15 of 15 Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Abendx & Kiltstain!

The assembled Bestop Doors, with Tube Door, Element Door Skin, and Door Bags, are about half as thick as the Factory Doors. Hope this helps!

The Door Skins come with an Automotive Quality Weatherstrip. However, it's not enough to completely seal the Door Jamb area on the Jeep. I added some Self-Adhesive Rubber Automotive Weatherstrip from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, to the Door Jamb itself, where the Door Weatherstrip stops. When I closed the Doors, the Weatherstrip would butt up against the Weatherstrip on the Door Jamb, making a really nice seal. Good enough to keep out wind and water. I added the Weatherstrip, placing it even with the top of the front of the Door, all of the way back to even with the top of the back of the Door. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it was nice having the extra leg space with the Bestops!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Blackbeard

-Pre-Runner Light Bar
-KC-127 6" Fog Lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode