Bent spring blues ! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Bent spring blues !

07 Rubison 2dr 5.5 stage 4 Poly long arm, rear rotated 15*
top of spring hits trac bar (spring bent) any fixes besides removing lower mounts and rotating them. Might want to go bigger some day and dont want to alter a good 44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
07 Rubison 2dr 5.5 stage 4 Poly long arm, rear rotated 15*
top of spring hits trac bar (spring bent) any fixes besides removing lower mounts and rotating them. Might want to go bigger some day and dont want to alter a good 44
The RockKrawler Wedges will help. I just got mine.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/images/RK02659_02.jpg

From their site:
Are you tired of your rear coil spring bowing in your JK? Are you tired of loosing effective spring rate and suffering from the associated poor handling woes? Are you tired of your rear coil spring rubbing on the rear track bar? If this sounds like you or your JK rear coils, don't worry! Rock Krawler has the answer. These simple rear coil spring correction wedges made of polyeurathane will fix all those problems!
System Benefits:
-Improve handling
-Improve rear coil stance
-Add clearance between the rear coils and the rear track bar

System Includes:
(1) pair of rear coil spring correction wedges.

Call Jeremy. He'll get you taken care of. and tell him you are on the forum, you get a discount.
518-270-9822

Last edited by The Joker; 07-21-2010 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

I had the same problem with a TF 4" lift. The wedges work like a charm. In addition to RK Poly sells them, too. These should just be packaged with all kits and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Rock God

This is a problem for anything over a 2.5" lift on a 2 door.

The RK wedges will not be enough with a 5.5" lift.

You either need the JKS relocation brackets or to cut and re-weld lower spring perches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

You either need the JKS relocation brackets or to cut and re-weld lower spring perches.
When I spoke to Jeremy at RK, he said that they would work fine with the 5.5 as well. Is there something else I should know about?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Running the RK wedges and they work like a champ and it's an easy fix.

Cut/re-weld or the JKS pads are good solutions too.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Maybe my Heep is a freak show, but on an advertised 3" lift the RK wedges didn't eliminate the problem - I still get rub on the track bar under flex. I picked up some Poly rear spring mounts and am going to have those welded on.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
When I spoke to Jeremy at RK, he said that they would work fine with the 5.5 as well. Is there something else I should know about?

They work just fine on my 5.5" lift. I have a 4 door though so that may be the difference between me and planman.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks all! Going to go with poly wedges as soon as they wake up out there. All I know is it scared the shit of the dog every time the spring hits. If they dont work well be cutting again!
post #10 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
They work just fine on my 5.5" lift. I have a 4 door though so that may be the difference between me and planman.
You are right. It is a 2 door vs 4 door thing.

Due to the shorter driveshaft of the 2 door, when you adjust the pinion angle on a lifted JK, you end up with a much steeper angle than on a 4 door.

So, it is a problem for 2 doors on any lift over 2.5".

At 5.5", you can imagine how steep the pinion angle needs to be with the short driveshaft of a 2 door.

Picturing that, you would agree that the RK wedges would not even come close to being enough.

Also, any stretch of the wheelbase aggravates the problem.

With 3" springs on my 2 door and a 0.75" rear stretch, the RK wedges are barely enough. I will probably just buy the JKS relocation brackets.

Either the lower perches need to be cut off and re-welded, or the JKS relocation brackets can be used:

Last edited by planman; 07-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

AH! Thanks for the clarification Planman!
post #12 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just talked with Polly said the wedges will work on a 2dr with a 5.5 lift, sending out a set FREE BEEEEEEE! Well see when they show up , Polys a class act allways been a big help on our build. Thanks
post #13 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Take pics for us.

post #14 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
JKowners Vendor

Our spring wedges work for 5.5" of lift on a 2 door or 4 door. Poly has ours shown on their website as well.

Rock Krawler
post #15 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I have a 5.5 lift using the wedges on my 2 door and everything is aligned and no spring 'bow'.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Poly Performance:
LINK

RockKrawler:

Are they the same pic? No.

Are they both Black Shinny molded plastic (Polyurethane)? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Our spring wedges work for 5.5" of lift on a 2 door or 4 door. Poly has ours shown on their website as well.

Rock Krawler

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

Ultimately, the better option if you have a welder & grinder available for correcting the spring bucket angle:

LINK

Mucho better imho, as they retain the coil spring in JKs with long travel shocks or coils that are not progressively wound..

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just wanna get thru the summer If Im gonna start welding on that rear y stop at spring mounts
post #19 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

The correction wedges will not get you enough to help.... ask me how I know.

What I did with mine was to weld a bracket on behind the factory bracket for the frame side track bar mount.... it's an 'L' shaped bracket that ties into the frame and rear portion of the stock bracket. Slipped the track bar into the new bracket and wala... no more rubbing on the spring.

Better yet are the PP buckets shown above.... but a little more work.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Those are just dead sexy...

I might just do those instead of the JKS brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
Ultimately, the better option if you have a welder & grinder available for correcting the spring bucket angle:

LINK

Mucho better imho, as they retain the coil spring in JKs with long travel shocks or coils that are not progressively wound..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode