Project: Right the First Time - Page 11 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 299 Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Wheeler

Saw that you have dogs. Do you also bring the 2 of them to your road trips? I also have 2 dogs but I only bring one since only one can fit in my crate. (Just like this https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82213729ab.html )Can you recommend any custom pet crate for 2 dogs so that I can upgrade mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 299 Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

L86 & 8L90E transmission. I've been wanting to do a forced induction kit on my 3.6L but after plenty of reading, I can't be confident that I'm not getting into a huge headache and disappointment especially with the automatic transmission.

I started watching A LOT of Motech videos then started looking into the Gen V engines and 8 speeds, and after finding a really good deal on this one, it didn't make as much sense to invest into more power from the 3.6L.

So I snagged this up and now gotta save up for the Motech install kit.

And here lies the air dilemma....I know the ORO kit obviously won't bolt up to the new engine. Not sure that I would even be able to rig it up on a belt drive on the L86 or if there is even any room. Motech has not tried this yet.

So should I put the ORO kit on and enjoy it for the time being till who knows when I will be doing the engine swap and then sell the ORO kit used.........or leave it in the box and sell the kit new and purchase an ARB Twin electric compressor?
post #253 of 299 Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejeepforever View Post
Saw that you have dogs. Do you also bring the 2 of them to your road trips? I also have 2 dogs but I only bring one since only one can fit in my crate. (Just like this https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82213729ab.html )Can you recommend any custom pet crate for 2 dogs so that I can upgrade mine?
No I don't bring them in this Jeep, it's too nice inside .
I used to bring the blue male everywhere I went in my last jeep, but have never used any type of kennel/cage thingy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 299 Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

I guess it depends on how long you think it will take to save for the install kit. If it’s going to be just a few months, sell it new. If it’s a year plus, sell it used. Just my thoughts.

Awesome motor/trans combo, I’m definitely jealous over here haha
cody48 likes this.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #255 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 04:04 AM
Wheeler

I am still working the bugs out of my L86/8L90/Atlas swap.

My experience with Motech was not the best, but it seems that the vast majority of the people are very pleased with them. I read about another company getting ready to release a gen V swap kit. I would take a strong look at them as well if it’s ready when you are.

There is no way the York will fit under the hood. I can’t find a space for my coolant overflow bottle!

The engine is a beast, I’m still working on transmission tuning. There’s a long way for me to go yet, and my tuner’s availability hasn’t matched with my schedule over the last week or so.

I asked what year because it affects the programming. Seems 2015’s have less engine issues, but more trans issues. 2016 less trans issues, but somehow my engine wouldn’t build power, I had to change the OS to get it to run right. 2017 + has the computers locked down and is more costly to unlock/license.
Attached Images

post #256 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
I am still working the bugs out of my L86/8L90/Atlas swap.

My experience with Motech was not the best, but it seems that the vast majority of the people are very pleased with them. I read about another company getting ready to release a gen V swap kit. I would take a strong look at them as well if itís ready when you are.

There is no way the York will fit under the hood. I canít find a space for my coolant overflow bottle!

The engine is a beast, Iím still working on transmission tuning. Thereís a long way for me to go yet, and my tunerís availability hasnít matched with my schedule over the last week or so.

I asked what year because it affects the programming. Seems 2015ís have less engine issues, but more trans issues. 2016 less trans issues, but somehow my engine wouldnít build power, I had to change the OS to get it to run right. 2017 + has the computers locked down and is more costly to unlock/license.
Oh man, not good to hear!
I don't really have any way of confirming what year mine is other than they told me it was a 2018. Are there any markings or numbers anywhere on it I can check? The engine/trans/t-case are all out of 1 unit at least.
I called Motech twice before buying it and they reassured me I could do it and they would help me with everything over the phone. He did suggest I go ahead and buy HPTuners.
What problems did you have with them?
post #257 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Wheeler

I am in Mexico, so that always adds a layer of issues, I don't think anyone in the US would have the level of issues I had.

1st, it took longer to ship the kit out than they said. Which took me down to the wire on timeline. I had friends lined up to come down here to help with the install, airline tickets booked.

2nd. Then when it arrived here, half the stuff was missing. May or may not be Motech fault since there were two freight forwarders involved in getting it to me, so I will not fault them on that. But in trying to figure out what was missing, I kept asking for a list of what I was supposed to receive. Never did get that. Got a few different lists, but not a packing list. I was in a huge crunch not wanting to waste the time I had friends here to help with, so I flew a person to Las Vegas and all the way down to me with what was supposed to be all the missing parts less AC hoses. It was not all the parts.

3rd. I kept needing help with how things were to go together. I'm a pretty smart guy, but between not knowing if I had all the parts, if they were even for the right engine (they kept talking to me about gen 4 stuff) and a total lack of instructions, I needed to ask questions. The first couple days they were OK with responding, but after that I literally went two weeks without them answering my phone or returning messages or anything. Keep in mind that at this point I have paid them very near 10k (half of the parts paid for twice).

4th. Once I got the thing running I thought I was golden. Not so, I had a couple wires in the harness that pulled out of their connectors which took a lot of time to chase down.

I still have some issues, I felt like it should have been a little more refined out of the box than it has been. Lots of surprise costs for me.

I felt a very clear shift in service after the credit card got whacked.

Just reading what I have typed out here makes me feel bad like I am trash talking them and I may delete this. I think they were busy and my situation was way more complex than anyone else's would be. Most of what they have is quality and well thought out. If they would take three days and document what they know and give that to every buyer, it would have been a much different experience.

Something as stupid as the radiator hoses. I didn't know there was supposed to be a hard line in both upper and lower hoses, so I try to use the hoses they sent (no hard line showed up) and no matter how I put the hoses they didn't work right.

Sorry to rant, but you kind of asked for it. I'll do my best to help anyone with the knowledge I have gained.
cody48 and Texas_Jester like this.
post #258 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I am in Mexico, so that always adds a layer of issues, I don't think anyone in the US would have the level of issues I had.

1st, it took longer to ship the kit out than they said. Which took me down to the wire on timeline. I had friends lined up to come down here to help with the install, airline tickets booked.

2nd. Then when it arrived here, half the stuff was missing. May or may not be Motech fault since there were two freight forwarders involved in getting it to me, so I will not fault them on that. But in trying to figure out what was missing, I kept asking for a list of what I was supposed to receive. Never did get that. Got a few different lists, but not a packing list. I was in a huge crunch not wanting to waste the time I had friends here to help with, so I flew a person to Las Vegas and all the way down to me with what was supposed to be all the missing parts less AC hoses. It was not all the parts.

3rd. I kept needing help with how things were to go together. I'm a pretty smart guy, but between not knowing if I had all the parts, if they were even for the right engine (they kept talking to me about gen 4 stuff) and a total lack of instructions, I needed to ask questions. The first couple days they were OK with responding, but after that I literally went two weeks without them answering my phone or returning messages or anything. Keep in mind that at this point I have paid them very near 10k (half of the parts paid for twice).

4th. Once I got the thing running I thought I was golden. Not so, I had a couple wires in the harness that pulled out of their connectors which took a lot of time to chase down.

I still have some issues, I felt like it should have been a little more refined out of the box than it has been. Lots of surprise costs for me.

I felt a very clear shift in service after the credit card got whacked.

Just reading what I have typed out here makes me feel bad like I am trash talking them and I may delete this. I think they were busy and my situation was way more complex than anyone else's would be. Most of what they have is quality and well thought out. If they would take three days and document what they know and give that to every buyer, it would have been a much different experience.

Something as stupid as the radiator hoses. I didn't know there was supposed to be a hard line in both upper and lower hoses, so I try to use the hoses they sent (no hard line showed up) and no matter how I put the hoses they didn't work right.

Sorry to rant, but you kind of asked for it. I'll do my best to help anyone with the knowledge I have gained.
Thank you for sharing! Don't delete.
How long ago did you order? They sound to have a lot of Gen V's running from all of the videos.
post #259 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

Ordered November 26, 2018 shipped Jan 9th.

I am sure they have a lot of gen v running around. I think they are doing a lot of swaps in-house.

Don't let me discourage you. But I would give a hard look at the RPM Extreme that posted up in the engine swap section. I spoke to them in November but they were not doing kits at that time.

In hind-site, I should have seriously considered sending the Jeep up and had one of those companies do the swap. I spent a ton buying things twice and flying a person all around to get parts.
post #260 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Oh not that far back huh. Hmm.
I haven't considered any other company for the kit....thought Motech were the pioneers of this stuff, but I am a but concerned that their kits are not too user friendly and that they are better at doing the install themselves. There's just no way I could afford all that extra cost. Doing this myself is big enough.
post #261 of 299 Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Wheeler

Now, all that aside. This thing halls ass!

0-70 right now!

It’s a pain, you’ll start to wonder if you ruined your Jeep. If everything is stacked against you. Then knock the items off the list one by one and one day, it’ll do a burnout. At 30 mph.
post #262 of 299 Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Oh man, not good to hear!
I don't really have any way of confirming what year mine is other than they told me it was a 2018. Are there any markings or numbers anywhere on it I can check? The engine/trans/t-case are all out of 1 unit at least.
I called Motech twice before buying it and they reassured me I could do it and they would help me with everything over the phone. He did suggest I go ahead and buy HPTuners.
What problems did you have with them?
I tried to avoid getting HP tuners, I didn’t want the expense just to turn off some lights - which is why Motech suggested it, but never told me what to do to turn off lights, and what lights to expect.

I used a remote tuner (guy) with an EFI live autocal. That didn’t work well, and most tuners will suggest to not mess with the Gen V engines in EFI live. So, had to get HP tuners anyway. I’m in just under $1,000 in tuning so far. Hopefully my tuner can get it setup right. About $175 of that was in licensing in EFI live, so you could easily avoid that. So far I have not licensed the Jeep computer to get into dash lights yet.

I suggest you power up the harness and read the computer at least to get the VIN. With the VIN you can figure out the year and with the year year you can make a plan.

Also look at the transmission computer. If it’s a t87 it’s pre 2017 and does not require a license credit. If it’s a t87a then it’s 2017+ and has to be sent to HP tuners to be unlocked and costs $200.

If the engine computer is 2016 or earlier it will require 2 credits ($100). If the engine computer is 2017+ it will require 4 HP tuners license credits ($200) license and is a more complex process to unlock. HP tuners will have to be connected to the internet and the computer the in order to unlock, but that’s just the first time.

My engine is a 2016 and wouldn’t make power. Motech said they have seen this problem before and sent me a file that is a 2015 operating system. That fixed it, but I also had to license that file for another $100. I don’t know if this is specific to 2016 or is a 2016+ issue.

These things add up quick. I didn’t plan to spend this much, and hopefully my learning curve can save someone some else money!
jvandy50 likes this.
post #263 of 299 Old 05-11-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I tried to avoid getting HP tuners, I didnít want the expense just to turn off some lights - which is why Motech suggested it, but never told me what to do to turn off lights, and what lights to expect.

I used a remote tuner (guy) with an EFI live autocal. That didnít work well, and most tuners will suggest to not mess with the Gen V engines in EFI live. So, had to get HP tuners anyway. Iím in just under $1,000 in tuning so far. Hopefully my tuner can get it setup right. About $175 of that was in licensing in EFI live, so you could easily avoid that. So far I have not licensed the Jeep computer to get into dash lights yet.

I suggest you power up the harness and read the computer at least to get the VIN. With the VIN you can figure out the year and with the year year you can make a plan.

Also look at the transmission computer. If itís a t87 itís pre 2017 and does not require a license credit. If itís a t87a then itís 2017+ and has to be sent to HP tuners to be unlocked and costs $200.

If the engine computer is 2016 or earlier it will require 2 credits ($100). If the engine computer is 2017+ it will require 4 HP tuners license credits ($200) license and is a more complex process to unlock. HP tuners will have to be connected to the internet and the computer the in order to unlock, but thatís just the first time.

My engine is a 2016 and wouldnít make power. Motech said they have seen this problem before and sent me a file that is a 2015 operating system. That fixed it, but I also had to license that file for another $100. I donít know if this is specific to 2016 or is a 2016+ issue.

These things add up quick. I didnít plan to spend this much, and hopefully my learning curve can save someone some else money!
Damnit I haven't been getting notifications from this thread.

Ok I'll go grab my ECU and TCU and get some pics. I don't know how to power up the harness....maybe it's easy. There is a portion of my harness that is cut off. The seller said that was to the o2 sensors....

I have been reading and looking at the RPM Extreme guys this morning. They are within driving distance of me and that will probably be a big factor in who's install kit I use.

I hope I won't have to go through all those tuning issues like you did. Would be nice to have a well developed kit after all with so much going on in this..
post #264 of 299 Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can say that John at RPM Extreme really knows his shit. Great guy to deal with.
cody48 likes this.

Kevin
post #265 of 299 Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Call John at OverlandPerformance @JohnPShoe he gives a shit
ALASHA and cody48 like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #266 of 299 Old 05-13-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Haha, thank you but I already called Overland a week or so ago. He is in Louisiana like me. Unfortunately he does not do Gen V's either. Sounds like the best option for Gen IV's though.

Last edited by cody48; 05-13-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #267 of 299 Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I can say that John at RPM Extreme really knows his shit. Great guy to deal with.
RPM Extreme told me over the phone today it would be 4-6 more months before they're ready to release their Gen V kits to the public. They did quote me 18k to install my engine for me though
post #268 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pulled the passenger seat sub/box out and got this 12" Rockford powered package. Ordered OEM parts to delete the OEM Alpine sub and trim as well that should be here this week so I will gain a little trunk space back.
post #269 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
RPM Extreme told me over the phone today it would be 4-6 more months before they're ready to release their Gen V kits to the public. They did quote me 18k to install my engine for me though
soooo you already have the motor/tranny, and just to install it is another 18k? did i read that correctly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #270 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
soooo you already have the motor/tranny, and just to install it is another 18k? did i read that correctly
Lol, exactly. I figure based on there Gen4 kits, the Gen5 should be no more than 8k, so that leaves 10k in shop labor??
post #271 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 09:38 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Lol, exactly. I figure based on there Gen4 kits, the Gen5 should be no more than 8k, so that leaves 10k in shop labor??
lol i guess so?? why is this stuff not going down like the tj parts did...i'm about to the point where we will just have to rip out all the wiring and do it old school

2010 Silver JKU
post #272 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Air tank and horn mounting I was doing the other day didn't work out so I drew this new bracket up and just got it ready.
Will hold both the 2.5 gallon tank and 37" Tug horn under the jeep and bolts to the frame using OEM threaded bungs.

post #273 of 299 Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OEM Alpine sub delete before and after:
post #274 of 299 Old 05-18-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The above bracket didn't work out like I planned so I still don't have the air tank and horn mounted .
Anyways, decided to use an ARB twin compressor instead of the York since it will likely not work with the future engine swap.

After reading about these compressors and their potential problems, I went ahead and took care of the connectors that are prone to burning up at the motors. I had plenty of these bullet connectors from RC crawler days that I soldered together to replace the ones that come on the compressor.

post #275 of 299 Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally got this thing ready to go in.
It's a lot of shit packed in a small space under there now lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode