PSC HighFlow Power Steering Pump - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

PSC HighFlow Power Steering Pump

Well I want to hear from people who have done the PSC Hyrdo Assit. My PS Pump makes a lot of noise when under heavy accelartion but when vehicle is running idle there is no noise.

They have sent me a replacemnet pump which is making the same noise. Yes the system is bleed properly , the hoses are correct size and smooth flow. Eveyrthing is checked.

So how many people hear the pump under acceleration ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

no noise at all here
post #3 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

come on its driving me crazy u got to have some noise when the pump is sucking oil from feed line

even after replacing the pump its exactly the same noise there are no air bubbles in the reservoir i might try bleeding the system again but not sure if it will cure anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

i get the "swirling/sucking" noise at the res but no noise at the pump that I can hear over the engine running.

I can video if it if you like
post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can u please Doc that would be great i just want to hear it while acceleration

here are few pics of install on second pump

post #6 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Granite Guru

I too having that sucking noise at the res but no other noises

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #7 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I dont have any other noises even when the vehcile is stationary and engine running no noise at all even if i rev it the pump is fine ONLY when i am driving in 1 2 or 3 gear heavy accelration the pump makes nosies weeeeeeee weeeeeee

today i jacked her up turned steering lock to lock 20 times waited 30 min checked the reservoir for any bubbles all seems good. the oil in the reservoir does not change level when i shut the engine on or off.

what oil are you guys using????????????
post #8 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
I dont have any other noises even when the vehcile is stationary and engine running no noise at all even if i rev it the pump is fine ONLY when i am driving in 1 2 or 3 gear heavy accelration the pump makes nosies weeeeeeee weeeeeee

today i jacked her up turned steering lock to lock 20 times waited 30 min checked the reservoir for any bubbles all seems good. the oil in the reservoir does not change level when i shut the engine on or off.

what oil are you guys using????????????
GM power steering fluid. NOT ATF+4, normal GM power steering fluid.

I will see if I can video tonight with me driving with the hood up to hear things better if not it will have to wait till this weekend.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can u please take video especially when you are launching from stand still mine only makes fluid noise on 1 2 or 3 rd gear after that goes quite
post #10 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
Can u please take video especially when you are launching from stand still mine only makes fluid noise on 1 2 or 3 rd gear after that goes quite

picky motherfucker
post #11 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Rock God

I have an Ipod and I hear that while I'm driving. On those rare days when I'm not listening to it, I hear my Goodyears singing with the road. I don't notice any weirdness coming from the PSC pump. I also just run the Mopar ATF +4 in it. Maybe I'm over simplifying, but hydraulic fluid is just hydraulic fluid. Why not use a synthetic like the ATF +4 that handles the heat a bit better?

Sometimes we can get too sensitive to noises. Mine's the damn rattle underneath I can't get to stop. I'm thinkin' it may be the exhaust cross over vs the tranny skid, but that's a different thread....

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hurry Up SAILOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
picky motherfucker
post #13 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
I have an Ipod and I hear that while I'm driving. On those rare days when I'm not listening to it, I hear my Goodyears singing with the road. I don't notice any weirdness coming from the PSC pump. I also just run the Mopar ATF +4 in it. Maybe I'm over simplifying, but hydraulic fluid is just hydraulic fluid. Why not use a synthetic like the ATF +4 that handles the heat a bit better?

Sometimes we can get too sensitive to noises. Mine's the damn rattle underneath I can't get to stop. I'm thinkin' it may be the exhaust cross over vs the tranny skid, but that's a different thread....
For fluid I am running the GM power steering fluid as that is what is recomended by PSC...Howe..WTO......

Hydraulic fluid is not all the same, viscosity, addatives or even lack of addatives can influence what it does. Jeep uses the ATF+4 not because its "better" but because its cheaper They can run the same fluid in multiple uses.

Don't even get me going on noises something that sounds like a heat shield that randomly rattles: check, something clunking: check, something that randomly clunks but only at speed:check
post #14 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Rock God

Man, I looked and looked through those instructions and all I could find was "fill the system with power steering fluid." Once I found out Mopar used their ATF+4 for the PS as well as their AT, that was all I needed. One less bottle of shit to carry. I only meant synth was better than non-synth for handling the heat, not that the ATF+4 was the cat's meow or anything. I've gone well over a year and a half with that stuff in the system and it's still that pretty red and smells right. I'm still thinking hydraulic fluid is pretty much hydraulic fluid, but it would be interesting to hear what the guys who have been having problems with their PSC pumps are using.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

sorry for the delay man, I am busy getting ready for this deployment and was home on leave.
YouTube - ‪PS whine‬‎
post #16 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
sorry for the delay man, I am busy getting ready for this deployment and was home on leave.
i know the feeling. one of these days, we are going to bump into eachother.

you'll it's know me at the PAX terminal or rec center, i have the Black Alienware M17x with the "Anti-JK" sticker on the lid.

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #17 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the Video Doc have the same sound like urs when idle or reving up the actual sound comes up when I am moving or accelarting from 1 to 3 gear
post #18 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Rock God

I have a PSC pump on two JK's and they are noisy MFers

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #19 of 22 Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Do you have a RHD JK?

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #20 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yes I have a RHD Jk wheel all the time with DBOR
My pump is only noisy when I am accelerating if sitting idle no noise like Doc so I can relax now bec after 3 pumps i was about to go back to stock steering setup
post #21 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Granite Guru

Lance (PSC) and I have been discussing this issue the last couple of days. He was telling me that the new CB pumps flow so much more fluid than the TC style pumps, that at high speeds the veins in the pump naturally produce more air causing slight cavitation. He said all pumps do this to some degree, thats why the system has to be vented and not sealed. They are working on a fix as we speak. I do know they build high performance products and will resolve this! Adam

post #22 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe4x4 View Post
Lance (PSC) and I have been discussing this issue the last couple of days. He was telling me that the new CB pumps flow so much more fluid than the TC style pumps, that at high speeds the veins in the pump naturally produce more air causing slight cavitation. He said all pumps do this to some degree, thats why the system has to be vented and not sealed. They are working on a fix as we speak. I do know they build high performance products and will resolve this! Adam
thats good news to hear. look forward to a future update. thanks

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode