HD Customs Bumper...Buy one. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

HD Customs Bumper...Buy one.

Never posted my HD Customs bumper actually installed, only before it was sent to powdercoating. It's a pretty sweet piece. Costs a fortune, but nice. HD Customs Sport with integrated hitch, standard carrier, and D-tabs.
Kind of dark out, but you get the idea.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...

Last edited by Jagrmaister; 07-21-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm really loving that bumper, been checking it out for a while now.

Is the tire mount adjustable or do you have to mount it in a set place? I noticed it seems to take up a lot of the rear window
post #3 of 64 Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

I would, let me know when I can get a front one, been waiting on a date for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Granite Guru

Looks great Jagr - well worth the wait!

vwang - the tire carrier insert is offset - here's a pic:

The offset center tube allows you to flip the insert to raise or lower the spare - just another awesome detail that Jarrett incorporated into the design of his bumper.

As Jarrett has said before in his posts - the "customs" in HD Customs means he can and will make changes based on your desires.

Like Jagr said - buy this bumper, you won't be dissapointed.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #5 of 64 Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

very nice, i like that. and I like that the option for custom work is there.

think this might be the bumper i go with.
post #6 of 64 Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ooops...Typo...My original post said integrated winch...that is not an option for the Sport bumper, but is on their Switchblade. I meant to type integrated HITCH. Fixed that. What I get for coming online so late. Anyways, as RedRock said, you can flip the insert to be either higher or lower. The position I have is the lower option of the two. The tire's a KM2 35, and does take a good portion of the window, but you can see out of it. I think where I took the pic from is what's making it look worse than it is. Definitely lost some window, but it's a larger tire...I expected that.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #7 of 64 Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
JKO Addict!

It is a SWEET bumper, isn't it?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 64 Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

do you think you could get a pic from behind from a higher angle? i'm curious how much window is left, because in other pictures I had seen there was basically no rear window left
post #9 of 64 Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagrmaister View Post
Never posted my HD Customs bumper actually installed, only before it was sent to powdercoating. It's a pretty sweet piece. Costs a fortune, but nice. HD Customs Sport with integrated hitch, standard carrier, and D-tabs.
Kind of dark out, but you get the idea.
Sweet bumper but I have a couple of questions.

How sturdy is the tire carrier part? I am looking for a rear bumper and carrier that does not rattle at all on or off road.

I have been looking at allot of rear carrier options on the form and this bumper looks like a great design. How would you rate this bumper compared to others
post #10 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcally View Post
Sweet bumper but I have a couple of questions.

How sturdy is the tire carrier part? I am looking for a rear bumper and carrier that does not rattle at all on or off road.

I have been looking at allot of rear carrier options on the form and this bumper looks like a great design. How would you rate this bumper compared to others
Not to speak for Jagr, but I figured I would throw in my answer to your question.

I have the Switchblade Sport - no receiver hitch, no winch provision - as bare bones as you can get it, which is exactly what I was looking for in a bumper/tire carrier. The tire carrier swing arm is bigger than any other out there that I have seen. It does not rattle - at all, on or off road (edit to add tire size )with a 37" Nitto Mud Grappler hanging on it. I wheel strictly in the rocks, and have bounced my Jeep around pretty hard since getting the bumper, and haven't heard a sound out of the carrier or bumper.

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for as far as a rating. I rated it high enough to buy it - it was a "10" in my book after I saw the pictures of the first prototype. Based on the info provided by Jarrett and PBach, I had extremely high expectations when I ordered it, and it has exceeded those expectations - now it's an 11!

JD

Quote:
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.

Last edited by Red Rock; 07-30-2010 at 06:57 AM.
post #11 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
The tire carrier swing arm is bigger than any other out there that I have seen. It does not rattle - at all, on or off road. I wheel strictly in the rocks, and have bounced my Jeep around pretty hard since getting the bumper, and haven't heard a sound out of the carrier or bumper.

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for as far as a rating. I rated it high enough to buy it - it was a "10" in my book after I saw the pictures of the first prototype. Based on the info provided by Jarrett and PBach, I had extremely high expectations when I ordered it, and it has exceeded those expectations - now it's an 11!

JD

Doesn't rattle at all... with a 39.5" spare.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Not to speak for Jagr, but I figured I would throw in my answer to your question.

I have the Switchblade Sport - no receiver hitch, no winch provision - as bare bones as you can get it, which is exactly what I was looking for in a bumper/tire carrier. The tire carrier swing arm is bigger than any other out there that I have seen. It does not rattle - at all, on or off road. I wheel strictly in the rocks, and have bounced my Jeep around pretty hard since getting the bumper, and haven't heard a sound out of the carrier or bumper.

JD

Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I am looking for a very high quality bumper and carrier that will hold up and not drive me crazy with rattles.

My buddy has the rock hard bumper and carrier and all it does is rattle.

Can you post up some pics (their website is under construction)? I will probably also get the Switchblade Sport. How much cash is the bumper and carrier?
post #13 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Granite Guru

Pics:

I got one of the first, and received the intro pricing. I don't know what the price is now. Best bet is to contact Jarrett directly - he can answer all of your questions. His number is on the website.

JD

Quote:
post #14 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagrmaister View Post
HD Customs Bumper...Buy one.
Funny you say that. I'm heading down today to eyeball and most certainly order one. I'm about shit sick of my Hard Rock rattletrap.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #15 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
Funny you say that. I'm heading down today to eyeball and most certainly order one. I'm about shit sick of my Hard Rock rattletrap.

Keep up updated on what you decide and what type of options they are offering now.
post #16 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Pics:

I got one of the first, and received the intro pricing. I don't know what the price is now. Best bet is to contact Jarrett directly - he can answer all of your questions. His number is on the website.

JD
Looks great, exactly what I want. Now I need to find a front bumper. I was looking at the new Bluetorchfab ones.

Where did you get the license plate relocator bracket and what did you use to plug the old hole where the plate used to be.

Last edited by gcally; 07-30-2010 at 07:19 AM.
post #17 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The rattlehard bumper is the worst aftermarket accessory I have ever bought.

It's a big rusty hunk of shit.
post #18 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Looks great, exactly what I want. Now I need to find a front bumper. I was looking at the new Bluetorchfab ones.

Where did you get the license plate relocator bracket and what did you use to plug the old hole where the plate used to be.
The license plate relocator is the Off Road Only LitePlate LED. The plate delete plug is is from the dealership - Mopar Tag Delete Cover (plug) part # 55397112AA.

Jarrett is also working on a bolt on front bumper. I've seen pics of the prototype, and it's bad ass! Ask him for some pics when you talk to him - I deleted them from my email already. He made me promise not to show them to anyone.

JD

Quote:
post #19 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Bring some extra cash. If you see the front bumper, you will most definately want one of those as well.
post #20 of 64 Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Can you post up some pics (their website is under construction)? I will probably also get the Switchblade Sport. How much cash is the bumper and carrier?
You can find alot more pics scattered in this thread:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21806
post #21 of 64 Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Thumbs up HD Customs visit

Quick update on my visit with Jarrett @ HD Customs. We've all heard from various other members here that the Switchblades are impressive bumpers. I had never seen one in the flesh before, and you really don't get a feel for just how impressive they are until you've got one right in front of you.

All I can say is that there simply cannot be a more innovative and well-constructed bumper available. I was floored by this thing. I have a feeling that if you took the people complaining about the price to actually see one, you could hear a pin drop. They are worth every penny.

Yes, they look great on the outside.....but I need to prod Jarrett to post some pics of the inside of one of these things, because that's where the magic happens. The substructure is ingenious, and the spindle.....the massive spindle extends the full height of the bumper internally, welded not only against a vertical rib for the entire length but also to horizontal crossmembers inside the substructure. Of course, everything is welded on both sides inside and out with typical Jarrett precision.

The tire carrier is another part of the story.....rock-solid, redundant safety mechanisms including a massive grade 8 bolt and a burly latch, plus being able to easily lift or drop a spare without killing yourself. Adjustable Delrin ramping and contact mechanisms to keep everything tight and quiet...The rifled bronze bushing is a nice piece and looks fit for aircraft duty.

OP is right. Buy one. I am!

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #22 of 64 Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Quick update on my visit with Jarrett @ HD Customs. We've all heard from various other members here that the Switchblades are impressive bumpers. I had never seen one in the flesh before, and you really don't get a feel for just how impressive they are until you've got one right in front of you.

All I can say is that there simply cannot be a more innovative and well-constructed bumper available. I was floored by this thing. I have a feeling that if you took the people complaining about the price to actually see one, you could hear a pin drop. They are worth every penny.

Yes, they look great on the outside.....but I need to prod Jarrett to post some pics of the inside of one of these things, because that's where the magic happens. The substructure is ingenious, and the spindle.....the massive spindle extends the full height of the bumper internally, welded not only against a vertical rib for the entire length but also to horizontal crossmembers inside the substructure. Of course, everything is welded on both sides inside and out with typical Jarrett precision.

The tire carrier is another part of the story.....rock-solid, redundant safety mechanisms including a massive grade 8 bolt and a burly latch, plus being able to easily lift or drop a spare without killing yourself. Adjustable Delrin ramping and contact mechanisms to keep everything tight and quiet...The rifled bronze bushing is a nice piece and looks fit for aircraft duty.

OP is right. Buy one. I am!
Did you get to see any front bumpers?
post #23 of 64 Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Did you get to see any front bumpers?
I'm afraid that's confidential information.

Let's just say that if you're in the market for a front bumper....you might want to wait a short while until the HD front is released. If you don't, you're probably going to end up regretting it!

-Milton Friedman
post #24 of 64 Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Wheeler

Define "short while".
As I am in the market for a front bumber, and would liek to pull the trigger in the next 60 days, unless I have some eye candy to tempt me into waiting longer.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon - Black
post #25 of 64 Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Rubicon1 View Post
Define "short while".
As I am in the market for a front bumber, and would liek to pull the trigger in the next 60 days, unless I have some eye candy to tempt me into waiting longer.
719-357-0270
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode