Lost in a sea of lifts - need advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lost in a sea of lifts - need advice

I've got an 07 2dr Rubi that I'd like to raise a little. I want to be able to fit 35's (actually KM2's so I guess about 34"). I'm looking for a good basic kit that will ride like stock and be easy on the wallet. I've been searching and reading and I think I'm more confused now than when I started. I'd like to go about 2.5" +/-. I've read posts about the drive shafts giving up the ghost very quickly after lifting. How much can I get by with and still run the stockers? The TF BB seems to be a popular choice, but I see it comes with/without shock/swaybar extentions and so on.

Basically, I'm just looking for some input to point me in the right direction. I don't think I'll be doing any hardcore, full flex wheeling as this is my daily driver and I can't beat it to death (at least not right now ). It will be seeing some trail use and of course it's fun to stuff a tire now and again, but I don't see any immediate trips to Moab in my near future.

Any input is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Teraflex, Poly, and the new Rock Krawler lifts are where I would start looking. Do a search on this site, Literally hundreds of reviews to look at.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Teraflex, Poly, and the new Rock Krawler lifts are where I would start looking. Do a search on this site, Literally hundreds of reviews to look at.
I ABSOLUTELY concur with desert dog. These three manufacturers, are arguably the best designed and manufactured lifts for our JKs, on the market. Not to mention, Poly & RK have excellent customer service (I can't speak for Teraflex, as I haven't worked with them personally.)

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My 3.5" Rubicon Express Standard has worked out great ...no issues, great ride.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Rock Krawler

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #6 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

We have used the Tera Flex 2 1/2" and its been very good to us and our customers. The new Rock Krawler sounds interesting....

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Granite Guru

Leave it stock and cut the fenders. I am running 37's on a stock rubicon that I drive 60 miles a day.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Leave it stock and cut the fenders. I am running 37's on a stock rubicon that I drive 60 miles a day.
Agree! You can cut the fenders and run 35s all day long. If you still want a lift, you need to ask some questions:
1. What are you going to do with the JK (rock crawling, mud pits, light trails, mall crawl)
2. How much do you want to spend
3. Can you install it or do you need a shop (if shop add cost)

In your case based upon what you have already told us I think trimming the fenders is your best option. But if your hell bent on a lift you need to understand that a "mild" lift is going to cost you more money if you want to get back to stock driving feel.
I have a Procomp 4" Stage 1 lift that came with the JK from the dealer. I have spent well over $2500 in shocks, track bars, steering stabilizers, HD tie rods, HD drag link, drag link flip kit, track bar relocation brackets, track bar reinforcement brackets, wheel spacers, etc... just to get back to somewhat of a stock feel. I am going to have to spend $1000+ more on adjustable control arms and springs to finish my lift off and get back to a stock feel.
Now I beat the crap out of my JK and daily drive it also so I have to invest a lot more money and time into mine that you would.

post #9 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Wheeler

"Agree! You can cut the fenders and run 35s all day long"

How about tube fenders or (flat flairs) and 35's with no lift.

Can you still have fun on trails and rocks with sway bar disco'd or are you gonna have rub problems?

I'm thinkin you could run your stock tires-rims for town, and then put on 35's and offroad-rims for a wheelin trip.

You will have already paid for both sets. Both would last longer too.

Sound resonable?
post #10 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input. It gives me a lot to think about. I really hadn't considered trimming the fenders or getting flat fenders so now I have another option to throw in the mix.

For now, the most I think it will see would be some light/moderate trails once in awhile. Not so much mud, though. I got that out of my system when I was younger and had more time to spend a day laying under my truck cleaning and lubing everything after an afternoon of wheeling.

I'm over all happy with the stock suspension for the most part. I'd just like a little more clearance. It sounds like (for my situation anyway) that I may be best off with with some flat/trimmed fenders and a set of coil spacers.

At least that way it would be a cheap way for me to get a little lift and make everything all warm and fuzzy for a set of 35's. Then, when I've decided for sure what kind of actual lift I want to get (or if I even need one) I can just upgrade that later.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
We have used the Tera Flex 2 1/2" and its been very good to us and our customers. The new Rock Krawler sounds interesting....

Jason
What lift are you running on your Jeep ???
post #12 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsarob View Post
"Agree! You can cut the fenders and run 35s all day long"
Yep, you can run 35s with no lift and a fender trim all day long. But say goodbye to any kind of usable flex on the trail and be prepared to drag the underside on everything. I was not happy with it. The 2.5" TF lift made things perfect for 35s.

IMO, go with a 2.5" lift - even if its just a budget boost. That way your rig can have the added flex and ground clearance on the trail, but retain good street manners.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

x2 on the Budget Boost.... it will give you all and more than you seem to be after, is inexpensive, and is pretty easy to install.

I vote for the TF kit as it is the most complete, but don't buy directly from TF... they have issues.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Yep, you can run 35s with no lift and a fender trim all day long. But say goodbye to any kind of usable flex on the trail and be prepared to drag the underside on everything. I was not happy with it. The 2.5" TF lift made things perfect for 35s.

IMO, go with a 2.5" lift - even if its just a budget boost. That way your rig can have the added flex and ground clearance on the trail, but retain good street manners.
I had originally been looking at the budget boost. I see that it comes in 3 flavors. If I went that route, I'd probably go with the middle ground that comes with shock extensions. Is there anything else I'd need to be concerned about right away (brake lines, etc), assuming I'd either be running wheel spacers or 4.5" BS wheels with the 35's?
post #15 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb75 View Post
I had originally been looking at the budget boost. I see that it comes in 3 flavors. If I went that route, I'd probably go with the middle ground that comes with shock extensions. Is there anything else I'd need to be concerned about right away (brake lines, etc), assuming I'd either be running wheel spacers or 4.5" BS wheels with the 35's?
No, once you solve the backspacing issue, everything else you need comes with the kit.

IMO, since you have a rubi, the kit with the extensions is a good choice because your factory Rubi shocks are worth keeping.

Be forewarned though: You will want to rip this kit out and go bigger within a year .
post #16 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
No, once you solve the backspacing issue, everything else you need comes with the kit.

IMO, since you have a rubi, the kit with the extensions is a good choice because your factory Rubi shocks are worth keeping.

Be forewarned though: You will want to rip this kit out and go bigger within a year .
A whole year!!? I doubt that

LJ Rubicon
post #17 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Can u post a pic of your JK? Thanks-

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #18 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

2.5 tera on 35's...p.s. you can get away with stock drive shafts for awhile. Pics on this thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33018

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
post #19 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Wheeler

"factory Rubi shocks are worth keeping"

This something I've wondered about.

How do the shocks sold with lift kits compare with the factory rubi shocks?
Similar, better, just as good so keep the rubi's?

I know the brochures talk highly of rubi shocks, but what is the real difference when compared with lift kit shocks?

I know how my stock rubi shocks perform which seems just fine, but couldn't tell you anything about the lift kit shock performance.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsarob View Post
"factory Rubi shocks are worth keeping"

This something I've wondered about.

How do the shocks sold with lift kits compare with the factory rubi shocks?
Similar, better, just as good so keep the rubi's?

I know the brochures talk highly of rubi shocks, but what is the real difference when compared with lift kit shocks?

I know how my stock rubi shocks perform which seems just fine, but couldn't tell you anything about the lift kit shock performance.
The Rubi shocks are equal or better than the shocks that come with most of these small lifts. Now the X (or Sport) shocks are pretty crappy; definately upgrade those if your going to lift it.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSteve View Post
A whole year!!? I doubt that
Yeah... I agree. Mine lasted a few months before I needed more.

When those H2s start looking big, you get intimidated at the mall.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Can u post a pic of your JK? Thanks-
These are the only two I have:

Last edited by Hammered; 07-21-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode