Superchip vs. 5.13's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Superchip vs. 5.13's

So im ready for my next project. Not sure which route to go. i have an 09 sahara auto on 35's. Which one should i do first save a bit more and go with the gears and then get a superchip down the line, Or get the superchip now and start saving for my gears. Not sure what the price on 5.13s are plus installation. But if someone can give me a ballpark figure that would help. i know it would be alot more that the superchip thou. Thanks for any input and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

IMO- re-gear first- then down the road you can tune with the Superchips.

I've seen gear installs as low as $800 and as high as $1200. I would think around $900 would be a descent price. Over price though- I would make sure that you use someone that has done a lot of gear swaps, and that has experience doing a JK swap. JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
JKO Addict!

mechanical advantage of the gears versus the playing with spark and fuel are on two totally different levels. Gearing is much more productive.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

I would go with gears first as well. I know some guys have had good results using 5.38s on the 4dr w/35s. But get that superchip as soon as you can, its awesome. Install at $1,000 is a good price, any lower is a great deal.

2007 Sahara 2dr, 3.5" RK X Factor Plus Long Arm, Dana 44 Rubicon front axle w/locker, Dana 44 Rear, Poison Spyder BFH w/stinger, Poison Spyder fenders F&R, Poison Spyder Rocker Knocker, 37" Pitbull Rockers Bias Ply, 17x9 Spyderlocks, 1350 Drive shafts, Hard Rock 4x4 Rear bumper w/tire carrier & gas can mounts, Poly Pro front axle tube, Poison Spyder evap skid. Upcoming: RR Snorkel, Skid plates
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input would i need to replace the dana 30 in the front or should i be fine just the way it is i dont do any wild offroading.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Rock God

Off Road Evolution in SoCal is running a regear special for $999.99

http://www.offroadevolution.com/specials.html

Do the gears first.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
JKowners Vendor

Do the gears first. Your Sahara has an auto, and if you go REALLY easy on the skinny pedal, your D30 can last for a while. That said, I would be very reluctant to drop a grand into gears for a D30, but my Jeeps get used hard. After putting 5.38's in with 35's, I didn't feel the need for a superchip anymore.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Granite Guru

Re-gearing is the cake.....Superchips is the icing.

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad529 View Post
Re-gearing is the cake.....Superchips is the icing.
well said
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

gears.......you'll still need something to correct your speedo though. When you changed over to 35s did you update your jeeps ecu or is your speedo just off now? It will be more off when you re-gear.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

my speedo is correct now it was recalobrated. just to make sure all i need is the ring & pinion and an installation kit. Is there anything else i need to purchase in order to re-gear. Thanks
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Rock God

The $900 number is that one rear or two?
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Rock God

The Off Road Evolution special is parts and labor for both axles at $999.99.

There is no need to buy the gears separately.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

WOW...that is a smokin deal!!! Good job EVO. If thats the price with the master install kit i would jump on it.

I agree with all the above gears, gears, gears.

1-800-341-7757 Ext. 123
Ask for Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode