What does Forum think? Painted Hardtop - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
What does Forum think? Painted Hardtop

Decided I wanted to paint the hardtop to help reduce some of the cabin heat. More of a functional mod then asthetics for me. It is an issue here and will be an even bigger issue in Arizona. My kids sweat their asses off when the Jeep has been sitting for awhile and it takes some time for the dash vents to cool the whole cab.

Instead of taping off a square on the top section like another forum member did I decided to tape off at the lines of the hardtop. This makes the white visible from the sides but since my JK is white I thought it would be fine.

The prep...

Just after spray..

Here is the top back on the Jeep and my dilemma. As you can see in the pics, the back part of the top does not look right. With the top part white and the qtr panel white, the black square around the window looks ackward.

My question to the forum is should I paint the entire top white? I think I am going to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hrrrmmm... might end up lookin too much like "white boy"

I've got a different idea.

What about creating a two tone by painting the tops of your doors black.

Where's 'shop artist when we need him??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think it looks bad. Pictures kinda suck though so it's kind of hard to tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

I like it! the only part that looks goofy to me is the very back section above the rear glass. I would extend the paint there only to the same level that it is on the sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

Wow. I didn't know you were going ghangster! Or are you trying to look like a hummer?
post #6 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post

I've got a different idea.

What about creating a two tone by painting the tops of your doors black.

Where's 'shop artist when we need him??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
I don't think it looks bad. Pictures kinda suck though so it's kind of hard to tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
I like it! the only part that looks goofy to me is the very back section above the rear glass. I would extend the paint there only to the same level that it is on the sides.

and i'm going to agree with all three mentioned here. might look cool.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #7 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM
JKowners Vendor

I like it! Of course, I painted mine exactly the same. What you fail to understand is that most people can't SEE the top of your Jeep from ground level!

Carry on.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #8 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

Well...you indictated in your original post that aesthetics weren't your objective. With that in mind you certainly accomplished your goal! Personally, attention to detail is important to me and going to all that trouble, I would have painted the entire top. It would have looked MUCH better IMHO. To each his own, though...
post #9 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Rock God

“That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.”

Holden Caulfield right?
post #10 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I think it would look better all white cause even if you paint the top of the doors black to match the back you'll still have the white top strip above them from the roof.
post #11 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

I think it looks pretty decent. I'm sure it's much "cooler"!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch Hand View Post
“That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.”

Holden Caulfield right?

yep, & the rest of the quote from "The Catcher in the Rye"

"Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say 'Holden Caulfield' on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say 'Fuck you.' I'm positive, in fact."

/hijack

I still want to see the two tone chop...

Quote:
post #13 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Garage

Whelp..

I don't know about painting the whole thing white. I think you should have left the edge black.. other words just painted the square. The edge black would have match the black border of the armor on the rockers and flowed into the black around the rear window much better.

Now, you might take that two tone idea and paint from the door handles up.. kinda like a half door look.

Other than than that.. paint the edges of the top back to black.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #15 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

x2 on Scott's request. We need photochops, or you could just keep painting stuff until WE are happy with it

I wonder how it would look if you finish painting the whole top white, then paint the flares and grill black??

BTW you're parked awfully crooked in that handicap space

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #16 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Garage

MS Paint Skillz..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like that.
post #18 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
MS Paint Skillz..

Yup, readin my mind Hit. Ya got the windshield frame too.

Quote:
post #19 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Rock God

I think either paint it all white or just the square on top, definately looks goofy like that & with the hard doors painted half black since there really is no dividing line on them. If you paint it all white, you still have the windows dark tinted so I think it'd still flow ok with the Jeep.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #20 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Give me a minute... going to photoshop the doors.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #21 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Shitty far away...my bad

Did a little better close up

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #22 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

just paint the rear section to match the top, Don't like paint the rest, like HIT so nicely paint shopped... MASTER PIECE ...

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #23 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!

This is what it would look like white...

Quote:
post #24 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't like matching hardtops, but I think you should go ahead and finish yours. It doesn't look that bad in white.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #25 of 105 Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Honestly, there are sooo many awkward lines, I'd just paint the whole thing white. Painting the doors, and windshield header black is just going to result in a white line above the doors that ends in a weird angle at the windshield and back section above the tailgate glass. You're going to have to colormatch the black hardtop if you paint the doors, but will look different since it is a different material. This means your going to end up painting the hardtop around the windows to match the doors. By the time you're all done with that, you'll end up with the thing you were trying to avoid to start with (center section being the only part painted white). I'd just paint the whole top white.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode