Just when I thought I was done...Cutting the flares! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just when I thought I was done...Cutting the flares!

So I started this project on a whim today...was eyeballing a few old threads and started looking at the fender mod ones..Well...actually, I was testing my flex before this up and coming weekend to the Badlands and ran into a rubbing problem. Decided at about 6 to just see what some taping of the lines would accomplish...then I just busted out the sawzall on the front. Mind you, I was doing this in the dark, and it was ugly. Have to do the rears tomorrow after my day's done, and pick up some door trim to do the edges. Pics to follow.

Word of advice to those thinking about it...use a more precise tool than a sawzall. I'm making do, just because I don't care.

OHHhhhhhhhhhhh!...and my 35s are puny now...

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...

Last edited by Jagrmaister; 07-19-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

lol_ yea- a razor blade actually woks quite well. I still want to door-trim mine, but don't really need to.

Looking fwd to seeing the finished pics.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

I masked and marked my lines then used a pneumatic cut of wheel... Like butter! 2 minutes a flare maybe.

**EDIT** use a roll of black automotive door edging to hide the edge of your cuts, cleans the look up greatly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

i cut mine with a jigsaw and it did good im not even going to put the door trim on mine the cuts look good after a little sanding

Cutting the bumper will be next maybe b4 long ill have a little money to buy some parts instead of cutting stuff off lol

Last edited by lol jk; 07-20-2010 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol jk View Post
i cut mine with a jigsaw and it did good im not even going to put the door trim on mine the cuts look good after a little sanding

Cutting the bumper will be next maybe b4 long ill have a little money to buy some parts instead of cutting stuff off lol

I too used a jigsaw. I just did mine Saturday in preps to put on my 35's I have the door molding stuff but didnt put it on. Looked fine without it (well that and I really didnt care that much. I used the sawsall to cut the front fender support though.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
I masked and marked my lines then used a pneumatic cut of wheel... Like butter! 2 minutes a flare maybe.

**EDIT** use a roll of black automotive door edging to hide the edge of your cuts, cleans the look up greatly.
Same, HIGHLY recommend using an electric or pneumatic grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. Way better, accurate and cleaner cut than any other tool.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

#1, you are never "done"
#2, I bet it will look damn good, and as has been said - you can hide the crappy sawzall cut with some door trim.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

And so...Here she is...all done! I did go out and buy a jigsaw to finish the rear and try and straighten up the front a bit. Worked like a charm. The rears are perfect. Not sure if the fronts are equal...but at least they're eyeball good. Couldn't find a door trim with the adhesive already applied after stopping at 4 automotive stores today while out...Guess I'm going to have to order some. I also couldn't find a damn amber lens to replace my sidemarker light as a "hidden" marker. Oh well...going to have to do some online shopping.

I'm rather pleased with the final results! In fact, I'm ecstatic about it. My Jeep is officially a man's Jeep...or something the like. But now I'm ready for 37s.......

The other part that these kind of gave away is the fact my HD Customs bumper may be causing a bit of a sag in the rear. I'm going to have to take a measurement, but a coil spacer for the rear may be in my future.

Again, all in all, SATISFIED!

post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

looks good
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
I too used a jigsaw. I just did mine Saturday in preps to put on my 35's I have the door molding stuff but didnt put it on. Looked fine without it (well that and I really didnt care that much. I used the sawsall to cut the front fender support though.
i also used a sawsaw for the fender support did you put inner fenders back in the front??
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol jk View Post
i also used a sawsaw for the fender support did you put inner fenders back in the front??
Not yet but it is planned for this weekend. Looks easy (I Hope)
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I put my inner fender liners back in the front. I'm not sure if I cut a little too much, or if it's just the shape of the liner (I just eyeballed the fronts real quick) but it leaves a bit of a gap. Not that I care really. Was thinking of possibly just using some leftover scrap I cut and some zipties to close it off but probably will just leave it as is because the minor gap isn't that big of a deal to me.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoJack View Post
Not yet but it is planned for this weekend. Looks easy (I Hope)
yeah it only took me a min cutting the fenders is the hard part... mine also has a little gap but not bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode