JK Owner looking for stock ring and pinion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JK Owner looking for stock ring and pinion

Hey all, I waited to throw this out there until I had exhausted all my other resources, and alas, that time is now. I’m looking to find a JK owner (non-Rubicon) that is planning to or has recently re-geared their front axle (The infamous Dana 30 pretzel).

The short version is I grenaded my front ring and pinion a while back in an off road excursion with my 2007 JK Unlimited, and because I’ve been looking for work for the last year and a half without any success, I’m looking to pick up a cheap (or even free with shipping?!?) set of used front gears. I'm looking for a low-buck fix until I'm working again, and can invest in new axles.

Here’s the long version. I purchased the JK back in early 2008 used, back when I was a successful Public Relations Manager for a well-known Marketing firm. It’s mostly stock, but it does have a Teraflex 4-inch lift kit, 35-inc tires, Polly Performance Boatsides and a Shrockworks front bumper. I had big plans for my rig that included skid plates, new axles front and rear, lockers, a winch, rear bumper and roll cage- you know, the same sorta things we all talk and plan on doing to a daily driver/weekend wheeler. In October of 2008 I was laid-off due to my clients reducing their marketing budgets, and I have since been trying to find work in my field with little to no success. It seems that businesses aren’t looking to spend money in marketing during these though times, nevertheless in public relations/media relations. Needless to say, the last year and a half has been a rough one, costing me my savings, my apartment and my girlfriend in the process. One of the few things that I’ve allowed myself was the occasional trail run in Big Bear to escape the reality of my current situation.

About 9 months ago, I took my JK into the dealer for a CPU recall. Now I’m thinking I shouldn’t have, mostly because everything was working fine, but I tend to believe that recalls are important. Anyway, they said all my CPU needed was a “flash” which lead to the dealer frying it and having to replace it. What I didn’t know was that it was still malfunctioning- when I put the rig in four wheel drive, the EPS Traction control kicks in, and there is no way to turn if off (I’d tried all the methods listed in the owner’s manual, and I know that those programs are supposed to be disabled when you’re in four wheel drive). Of course, I didn’t find this out until I was 1/3 with way up Gold Mountain trail in Big Bear. So I tried to be careful and just get over the hill so I could get it back to the dealer to fix. That’s when everything went sideways.

I was climbing a small ledge when I got slightly high-centered. Not having lockers, I had a front and rear tire just barely off the rock. We pulled cable off two other jeeps, which didn’t help. In a last ditch effort, we tired to winch out with me giving it slight gas. Now this wasn’t the first time in this kind of situation, so I planed on butting it at about 2400 RMP and working the tires with the winch to help the forward momentum. What was new was the ESP Traction Control fighting me the whole time. What resulted was me goosing it at the wrong moment while fighting the ESP, just as the tires grabbled, pulling me free with a sickening crunching sound. The stock ring and pinion was no more.

I limped home and decided I’d try to get the dealership to pay for some of the cost of the repair, and fix the CPU so this problem wouldn’t happen again. What a joke THAT turned out to be. I'm not blaming them totally, but given the state of the EPS, I did (and still do) feel like that have some hand in the situation unfolding as it did.

They didn't share my thoughts. They claimed that the ESP was engaging due to the broken front ring and pinion, and that they didn’t hold any responsibility for the damage. Further, they would no even touch my JK until the front ring and pinion was replaced (1500 bucks I didn’t/don’t have). So that’s where I’m at. I purchased a used ring and pinion from a “stock JK” off eBay, but found out that they weren’t from a JK after all. My buddy will help me swap out the bearing and torque the crush sleeve, but the idea of spending 150-180 bucks on a stock ring and pinion for a crappy axle just makes no sense to me. So I thought I’d reach out to the JK community and see if anyone has a set lying around they’d be willing to part with.

I’m located in Orange County, CA and I’d greatly appreciate any reply or help that could be offered.

Thanks for taking the time to read the huge wall of text, and best,

Darek.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Way to many words. What are you looking for exactly? Ratio?
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

i'm going to have 4.10 gears from a dana 30/44 for sale with what's left of the install kits (so you'll have the shims that you need) for 200 bucks.

should be out in 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Welcome to JKO. You should post this in the wanted section. Not Mod section

https://jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

i dont know what you are talking about and its too many words, but if you are looking for stock 3.73s ill give you mine, you just pay shipping

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sorry for the wall of text:

Looking for a stock Ring and Pinion for a 07 JK dana 30 front (don't know what the stock ratio is).

I'll PM you joePILE- sounds like you have what I need to get running.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
Welcome to JKO. You should post this in the wanted section. Not Mod section

https://jkowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17
Thanks- posted- didn;t see that section before. Also thought this is where everyone is modifying their rigs, so odds are I'd find someone here faster ;P
post #8 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Rock God

I have a set of 3:21 gears out of our 07, let me know

Todd
2007 Unlimited
40 Toyo Open Countrys on Workz Rims
OrFab Rear Bumper, Smittybilt Front
Cree Light Bar
7.5 Long Arm Lift
Synergy Front Suspension
Artec Front JK Armor
5:13's
Tom Woods Drive Shafts
Hi-Lift & Much More
&
2000 TJ
6" lift
37 TOYO MT's on Worx Rims
$hitty Built bumpers
Air Raid
Bushwhacker Flairs & Trail Armour
Corbeau Baja RS seats
post #9 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
i dont know what you are talking about and its too many words, but if you are looking for stock 3.73s ill give you mine, you just pay shipping
That might not be possible Joe. If you recall, I took the carrier out of your mangled front 30. We didn't bother pulling the ring and pinion off of it. I just took the carrier with the gears and all still attached, I believe.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #10 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Rock God

In order to avoid future issues you'll want to determine the ratio of your rear axle so you can match it with the new gears. No good will come from having different ratios in each axle.

The default mode for ESP in 4 High is "ON". There is a temporary "OFF" mode but it will come back on depending on how fast you're driving. It is feasible that if you were in 4 High and manually disabled the ESP it could have been automatically enabled without you being aware of it. This could have caused you to believe that the ESP was off when in fact it was on.

On the other hand, the default mode for ESP in 4 Low is "OFF". Regardless of the situation, when in 4 Low, the ESP will always be disabled. This allows for the vehicle to operate without the computer fighting your every maneuver.

From your description it sounds like you have a pretty high gear ratio; something in the 3.whatever range. This will require you give your Jeep more throttle to get over even the most mundane obstacle. Since your Jeep doesn't have the Rubicon, 4 to 1 transfer case you really need to upgrade your differential gears to get some sort of decent performance when off road. With your tires you are GREATLY under geared which means more throttle and, yep, you guessed it, a greater chance of breaking something.

From your description and my experience with a X model and 5.13 gears, it sounds like your Jeep broke because it was not built for the situation. You have no torque so you're relying on horsepower which will only lead to bad things. You really need to get 4.88s (manual) or 5.13s (auto) to have any sort of control off road. To maximize that control even further you'll want to consider the Rubicon, 4 to 1 transfer case as well.

In my situation, when in 4 Low with 35s, I noticed a HUGE difference in torque and control when going from the stock 3.73s to 5.13s. A HUGE difference. It's still not as good as my Rubicon peers and their 4 to 1 transfer case but it's a hell of an improvement over stock. Additionally, the 5.13s in the differential also aid the vehicle performance in 2 wheel drive whereas a transfer case only helps in 4 wheel drive.

You can replace your destroyed R&P with stock ratio gears but if you plan on doing any sort of off road driving you really need to get properly geared. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to replace the D30 axle, I know from first hand experience that it will hold up well with 35s and 5.13s as long as you're EASY on the throttle. If you don't spin tires or hop your axle the D30 will last you a long, long time. If you're very hard on your axles and your driving style is "Give 'er more gas!" then a new axle should be in your future.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 07-19-2010 at 02:47 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Rock God

you paying shipping I and I will box up my carrier with ring and pinion from my d30 ( 3.21 )

3.21 if its a 6 speed with no tow package

4.10 tow package, auto, and rubis those were the only options for 07 for
post #12 of 18 Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Okay- I think I have more info that is needed for this-
Basics: I have a 2007 JK Unlimited, 6 speed manual with a tow package (or so I was told by the previous owner).

I yanked out the ring gear in hopes to figure out the ratio. Here is what’s stamped on the side:

01 23 07 DANA D 55641 P8L951 41 10

Does that help? Anyone know how to decode that info for the gear ratio?
post #13 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconnole View Post
Okay- I think I have more info that is needed for this-
Basics: I have a 2007 JK Unlimited, 6 speed manual with a tow package (or so I was told by the previous owner).

I yanked out the ring gear in hopes to figure out the ratio. Here is what’s stamped on the side:

01 23 07 DANA D 55641 P8L951 41 10

Does that help? Anyone know how to decode that info for the gear ratio?
Divide the number of teeth that used to be on the pinion gear, into the number of teeth that used to be on the ring gear, and that is your ratio. No super-duper, NSA, decoding is required.

And, while I'm getting wayyyyy ahead of myself, I have it scheduled to remove and replace my entire D30 (15k miles) with 3.73 ratio from my X Unlimited in the next 30-45 days, pending the order, receipt, and installation of a PR44.

So. If you're still in your dilemma at that time, we can reconnect and I will help you.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #14 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Rock God

the number you are looking for is the 41 10 = 41/10 = 4.10 gears which make the previous owner correct that you do have the tow package

which in that case my item would be of no use to you
post #15 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Mudpuppy. I bit the bullet and counted the ring and pinion gears as receomended and yep- 4.10.

So if anyone has a set of 4.10 gears for a Dana 30 laying around and woudl like to free up some space, let me know!

And thank you to everyone who's posted!
post #16 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Wheeler

I don't know if this will help, but I have the stock ring and pinion out of my 08 Rubicon with an automatic transmission with tow package. (4.10)

I don't know why you couldn't use these but you would have to do both front and rear I think.

$100.00 plus shipping if you want 'em.

Dan
post #17 of 18 Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have rubi 4.10's. I don't know if the 44 r&p will fit in your 30, but if it can they're free + shipping

I understand the Jeep thing
post #18 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Again, thanks to everyone who's replyed on this thread. I've learned that the Dana 44 ring and pinion will not fit properly into the dana 30, so for that I'm at an impass.

Should anyone with a non-rubicon JK and has a tow package (4.10) end up swapping gears and not want their old set, let me know.

Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode