For those thinking about "bed lining" your front grill - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
For those thinking about "bed lining" your front grill

Shot mine yesterday using the Duplicolor truck bed liner in the spray can you can get from any auto parts store for $8-$10. Surprisingly, it's a near-perfect match in color and texture to the factory fenders and (in my case) the Fab Fours bumper.

The grill comes off real easy without any tools - pop the lock tabs at the top, slide it out the bottom, and turn the turn signal lamps to remove the light bulbs (they'll stay attached to the Jeep). Once they're out you can remove the whole grill and there are two tabs you squeeze from the back to remove the shell of the yellow lights from the grill. I spent a 40 minutes prepping the surface, sanding it with 120 paper first, then 320, then cleaning it all up real good. Taped over the rubber strip on the top, sprayed an adhesion promoter over the whole surface first and let it get tacky, then sprayed the bed liner. I did 3 coats, about 6 minutes apart. You can go thicker if you want but I wanted to keep it a little light so some flexibility was retained. After about 20 minutes in the Florida sun I put it back on the Jeep.

Pretty happy with the way it came out. On my TJ it held up pretty well, the couple of times where tree branches scratched some off I just cleaned it and resprayed on top of it. But that was a metal grill, so we'll see how it holds up on plastic like this... I figured for $10 if it doesn't last I can always sand it back off and take the thing to the Line-X shop.

Last edited by Ron R; 07-17-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Was wondering how it would look on black.....now you got me wanting to do it. Looks real good
post #3 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodge View Post
Was wondering how it would look on black.....now you got me wanting to do it. Looks real good
At $10, it's the cheapest mod I've done so far. If you're going to do it, definitely remove the grill from the Jeep, don't just tape it off & shoot. It will take less time to remove it than tape anyway, and when you're spraying you can coat it from all angles to keep it nice and even and won't miss anything.

Last edited by Ron R; 07-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 03:30 PM
JKO Addict!

That looks pretty sweet.
Black here too, and I was worried that there wouldn't be enough contrast to make it really stand out. 'n

p.s. Where did your winch go?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

looks good on the black, think about tinting the ambers?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 PM
JKO Addict!

You should use the smaller lights in the bumper to replace the ambers, then do this with them:
post #7 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
p.s. Where did your winch go?
Holding out for the smittybilt xrc 10, they're out of stock until October. 10k winch with onboard air and 2.5 gal tank for $600 at summit.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
looks good on the black, think about tinting the ambers?
I wasn't, but dammit I am now
post #9 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
I wasn't, but dammit I am now
it's subtle, but made a huge difference on mine. I kinda have the whole black and white thing..AMBER didn't fit at all. Looks much cleaner up front

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

looks good.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Granite Guru

how much area does one can cover? would it be cost effective to use that to spray the interior tub versus another brand? opinions?
post #12 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO'BOY View Post
how much area does one can cover? would it be cost effective to use that to spray the interior tub versus another brand? opinions?
It took almost the full can to do the front grill. I wouldn't use it on the tub personally, I just don't see it holding up to constant rubbing. On the other hand, if it did rub off in any areas it's cheap to fix, heh. Something like Herculiner or one of the other roll-on products if you aren't doing a professional spray would be better there. It would take too many coats of this stuff for it to hold up.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Looks great!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode