sportcage? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

sportcage?

anyone running a sportcage? i seen it while lookin around the other day through a 4wd magazine waitin on a buddy of mine. just curious to how hard they are to install and how much they run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a front bolt in OR-Fab. I felt they were the best for me because of the added floor mount and lack of intruding on space (daily driver). Mine was about $500 shipped

Other venders are Poly Performance, Rock Hard, and River Raider

I do have the Poly Performance rear 2dr weld in kit on mine as well. ~$300 plus welding if you don't DIY

I feel I walk the line of added safety and daily driving with mine. It's still not as strong as a real, to the frame cage. However, I feel comfortable. I feel it is something that is extremely overlooked by most modified JK owners. The stock setup is extremely weak. Raising the center of gravity and making it more likely to rollover without considering it is a potential issue for sure. ....and well it looks badass too! lol

My motivation, some of these are high speed rolls..but something is better than nothing imo

Here is a sport cage equipped TJ (Can't find any JK videos with one)
YouTube - Jeep rolls on "Hell's Revenge" trail. MOAB

http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

I'd say it held up well

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 07-16-2010 at 02:29 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Openly Hostile

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19710

I have the full poly kit.

Last edited by SDMF; 07-16-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the Rock hard. It is out of the way for DD, very simple to install in a few hours, provides a very handy grab point for getting in the Jeep, got it for under $500, and provides a little extra protection over the wimpy factory cab protection. Pretty much what you get with a sport cage.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I have a front bolt in OR-Fab. I felt they were the best for me because of the added floor mount and lack of intruding on space (daily driver). Mine was about $500 shipped

Other venders are Poly Performance, Rock Hard, and River Raider

I do have the Poly Performance rear 2dr weld in kit on mine as well. ~$300 plus welding if you don't DIY

I feel I walk the line of added safety and daily driving with mine. It's still not as strong as a real, to the frame cage. However, I feel comfortable. I feel it is something that is extremely overlooked by most modified JK owners. The stock setup is extremely weak. Raising the center of gravity and making it more likely to rollover without considering it is a potential issue for sure. ....and well it looks badass too! lol

My motivation, some of these are high speed rolls..but something is better than nothing imo

Here is a sport cage equipped TJ (Can't find any JK videos with one)
YouTube - Jeep rolls on "Hell's Revenge" trail. MOAB

http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

I'd say it held up well
the video is amazing.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks for the input. i've been deployed and was thinking of new mods and seen this and thought why not. just didnt know who makes them and what not. good stuff. i like the hang holds on the or fab one. mine is a daily driver and i think it would work the best due to space issues. thanks again guys.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OR Fab was my choice after lots of debate over the other companies and my inability to weld well. for a DD OR Fab is the way to go but thier rear kit is kind of a joke. Goodys got the right idea with the poly weld in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #8 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been considering the River Raider kit when money permits partly because of the way it mounts to the firewall in the front.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...der+sport+cage

You can search "<vendor name> sport cage" and probably find some more good examples of installed kits.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to own the red JK in the photos above. I walked away lucky that time and don't plan on tempting fate again. I was like you asking questions just 6 months before my wreck. I thought it could wait and .....I now have this orange Unlimited with the OR-Fab. I think I might follow Goody's style with the Poly in the back also. I have the floor mount with my OR-Fab to make a bolt in just a little more secure. Get something that windshield folds up like a lawnchair.

post #10 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I used to own the red JK in the photos above. I walked away lucky that time and don't plan on tempting fate again. I was like you asking questions just 6 months before my wreck. I thought it could wait and .....I now have this orange Unlimited with the OR-Fab. I think I might follow Goody's style with the Poly in the back also. I have the floor mount with my OR-Fab to make a bolt in just a little more secure. Get something that windshield folds up like a lawnchair.
I do really like the back addition. All in the name of "spreading the load"

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wouuld like to see the rear kit on a 4dr to see if it would work with my ORH soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #12 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

Any recommendations on where to purchase the OR-Fab cage?
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 02:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjk View Post
Any recommendations on where to purchase the OR-Fab cage?
got mine at central 4wd at the time. They had cheap shipping and no tax. Was pretty cheap. If they dont do that anymore, you can try to price match to the local 4wheel parts, they are an or-fab vendor.

There is $580 shipped with the floor kit. Some vendors are $700+ shipping...

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 07-17-2010 at 02:47 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did the orfab and I'm very happy with it
Will prob do some add on bars to brace better in the rear at some point though
Attached Images

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #15 of 20 Old 07-18-2010, 03:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhh by far my favorite kit so far! aside from the knee knockers, looks awesome! how much is the poly kit? this may be a good candidate for the wife's jeep.

jeepnick and i put his in. i wasn't that wild about self tapping bolts in the streamer bars... other than that it seemed solid. like others have said, it's better than nothing. it does bother me that it doens't tie into the fram though...

Last edited by 2k2wranglerx; 07-18-2010 at 03:43 PM.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhh by far my favorite kit so far! aside from the knee knockers, looks awesome! how much is the poly kit? this may be a good candidate for the wife's jeep.

jeepnick and i put his in. i wasn't that wild about self tapping bolts in the streamer bars... other than that it seemed solid. like others have said, it's better than nothing. it does bother me that it doens't tie into the fram though...
Poly Cage Kit

The side bars don't interfere with any of the usable space once your in the front seats BTW. Its the only way we could make it and make it strong. The tubes could not be put through the dash cost effectively and to mount the front to the dash or fire wall like most of the other kits is BS.

More info

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #17 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Thanks for postin those up dude!

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #18 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

You know, I have had this for a while now, and I have not hit my knee on that bar once. I thought the same thing the first time I saw pics, but once I hopped in and out of PIG's jeep a couple times I knew it wasn't going to be a problem.

I honestly really like that bar being there now as I rest my leg on it. It's my daily driver as well, so I am in and out of it several times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Thanks for postin those up dude!
Yup.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
Poly Cage Kit

The side bars don't interfere with any of the usable space once your in the front seats BTW. Its the only way we could make it and make it strong. Thw tubes could not be put through the dash cost effectively and to mount the front to the dash or fire wall like most of the other kits is BS.

More info
I'm not hating on it, and i see why you did it. I've been in TJ's with similar setups and it was ok.

either way, my favorite kit to date!
post #20 of 20 Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the props guys!

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode