RCV Axles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

RCV Axles

Has anyone on here broken the RCV Rubicon D44 shafts yet? Just curious, I run 39.5 Iroks, not sure how they will hold up. They are doing fine so far on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Rock God

Would like to know this too. Running 35's with mine now, but plan on going 38s. Also brickman post some picks of your sweet suspension setup.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Havent heard of anyone breaking them but they do come with a "You break it, we replace it" warranty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Granite Guru

I cant say that I have seen anyone break an RCV.

I did hear from over on pirate that a guy with a d60, RCV's & something like 49's failed one. I also heard he was pushing 500+ HP?
whether this is true or not?

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Granite Guru

I dont think your going to break them and if you do/can they replace them

post #6 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

I have seen broke 60"s with a liberal dose of right foot

anything can break
post #7 of 25 Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

you'll probably break the shaft before the CV
post #8 of 25 Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post

anything can break
Yeah look up Tim Cameron on google video. There is video of him snapping longfields and breaking rockwells.

He uhhh... has a pretty liberal right foot.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #9 of 25 Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I've heard from my local offroad shop about some RCVs breaking in a JK44. However, it was due to a bunch of mud and water (and presumably not greasing them afterward) that wore them out real fast.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #10 of 25 Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

anything can break
Doc,

Have you already broken your bad-ass 60 setup??? Btw, I used to live in Gaithersburg, MD, ever heard of it?

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #11 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Granite Guru

I think that the RCV axles are the last thing you should worry about when wheeling 40's on Rubi 44's. Time to step up to big boy axles for sure. (and I dont call 5 lug 60's with rubi knuckles and ball joints big boy axles) Think of Rubi 44's with 40" tires as a hand grenade, with the safety pin pulled, and the handle secured with 10 year old scotch tape.

Joe
post #12 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Granite Guru

Ran the RCV's in my 44 with Iroc 39.5's for about a year, never broke them but had the notorious turn and clicking noise problem.

2008 X- Red Rock, w/Rockwells on the install

post #13 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul08Wrangler View Post
Ran the RCV's in my 44 with Iroc 39.5's for about a year, never broke them but had the notorious turn and clicking noise problem.
Never heard of the notorious turn and clicking problem? What is it?

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #14 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Never heard of the notorious turn and clicking problem? What is it?
not sure but is sound like what happens to front wheel drive cars with Constanc Velocitry Joint axels. (like RCV but small and weak) when the CV joint starts to fail. when you turn rignt of left you hear the koint click.

my old subaru did it.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Rock God

Steering stops.

Did you check your steering stops? Was it only at full turn? Thats one thing RCV warned me about.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

I have gotten no clicking or any noise, how well where yours greased?
post #17 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have gotten no clicking or any noise, how well where yours greased?
Not a grease problem. It's a design problem. Just call Sean, no wait, he wont tell ya. Call and ask to speak to someone else and ask them if they have started clearanceing the bell to stop the clicking noise. But, that's not the real problem with them either. The real problem is in the cage design inside the cv joint itself. They tried to tell me my steering was causing the problem but, I built a brand new dana 44 that had never been tampered with. I took the liberty myself to disassemble the cv and found the cage to be the problem. Oh, did I mention they warrantied 2 sets and the third set Sean sent it took him 3 months to send. I had three sets of rcv axles in my 44 in a year.

Do a search on here and you'll find that there has been several people have problems with clicking on the rcv's.

post #18 of 25 Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Not a grease problem. It's a design problem. Just call Sean, no wait, he wont tell ya. Call and ask to speak to someone else and ask them if they have started clearanceing the bell to stop the clicking noise. But, that's not the real problem with them either. The real problem is in the cage design inside the cv joint itself. They tried to tell me my steering was causing the problem but, I built a brand new dana 44 that had never been tampered with. I took the liberty myself to disassemble the cv and found the cage to be the problem. Oh, did I mention they warrantied 2 sets and the third set Sean sent it took him 3 months to send. I had three sets of rcv axles in my 44 in a year.

Do a search on here and you'll find that there has been several people have problems with clicking on the rcv's.
Do you think it is all the rcv shafts or did you have really shitty luck? Saying that I have not had a problem, but you went throught three sets for a reason. Is there a way to fix the cage yourself or does it need a whole new design. Just curious. By the way love the build you got going.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #19 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Ipe
Rock God

FWIW, I've had my RCV's on for a year and change now, wheeling with 37's and have had no issues. Your mileage may vary though.

post #20 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
FWIW, I've had my RCV's on for a year and change now, wheeling with 37's and have had no issues. Your mileage may vary though.
My 08 jk is for off road use only. It has a little over 7000 miles on it and I bought it in October of 07. So another words I wheel a lot.

post #21 of 25 Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM
JKO Addict!

i am having the popping issue on mine right now...freakin drives me crazy. only when i first start out, then its fine. and tires have to be turned. thought it was unit bearing, so I replaced it, and sound was still there. pulled the diff cover to check the gears...nope they are perfect, so all it left is the pass. side RCV. will be calling on monday. oh and mine are only a month old

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #22 of 25 Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

i am sure everyone has a different story to tell and i am sure yours is mostly true but here is mine.

i too had the clicking at full or close to full turn. stuff wears out and stuff breaks, its just how long before they do. i called up the company and talked to greg at first. long story shortened i sent in my shafts the next week on monday. they recieved them on a wed. they fixed them with new cv joints and sent me two new boots and a tube of grease. i got them on thursday (the next day).

i called told them exactly what the issue was and i run a 38 X 14.50 on spyderlocks. they don't care about the abuse you put them through they just fix it. i ran mine for about a year and half before they clicked. i belive they would have lasted a lot longer but i didn't like the click. my shafts are still perfect. i spent a woping 30 bucks to ship to them and i ended up with a nearly (same shaft is all) new 1k set of axles again.

i have twisted one spline in the rear and bent 4 flanges with aftermarket shafts. the front has made it through all of those and would still be going strong if i could of lived with the click.

i personally can't think of a better manufacture right now. i am so impressed with rcv and kraig, greg and john that i want to give Rcv props. i called them on friday and told them how happy i was with them. thats what a company that charges a premium for some good stuff should do. you can slam me all you want and tell me i work for them but i don't. i am not to active on here, but this company deserves some credit.

if you have a issue be honest (they don't care how it happend) and call them up to send it in. if your a better man then me you can even have them send you a rebuild kit (for free). great product and a company that cares. way to go RCV!!!

2010 Rubicon unlimited / rock krawler long arm
ome +40 long travel lift / 17 spyderlocks / 38 bfg km2's/ 5.38 gears/ sleeves
poison spyder customs crusher flares/ body armor/ diff covers/rocker knockers
lod stubby ftont and rear/ evap skid/ coast driveshaft 1310/ rcv & superior axle shafts
warn powerplant / aev drag link flip/ currie tie rod/ reid knuckles, prosteer ball joints
c2 gussets and lca skids/ rock stars/ speed bumps/ rk tranny pan/ redneck ram hydro assist

Last edited by codysanders; 08-21-2011 at 07:24 AM.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

^^ great testament

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #24 of 25 Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 AM
Rock God

I ran 37 creepy crawlers on a d30 with rcv's. They would still be on my jeep if my daughter hadn't wrecked it and bent the axle. I swapped out to a d44 and running 37's and I do get the popping noise but as long as it's still digging who really cares? I highly recommend them.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

One of the few universally admired vendors, if you want 'em get 'em. If I had known they made them fro Spyntec conversions they'd be on my rig right now instead of the Superior evos & CTMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode