Garage
leaking diff fluid from the breather

we installed 5.13 a few weeks ago, install went smoothly
got g2 aluminum diff covers too
got home after first night little oil spots under the diffs
started noticing this more often
also noticed the driver wheel well is covered with diff oil

well we did the break in didnt change the diffs but changed the fluid
800 miles later pulled the diffs re rtv'ed them with high temp rtv(red stuff) added som diff oil to the front it was low
the rear is no longer leaking but the front it from the breather tube, like wheel well is covered, front driver lower control arm...
any ideas?

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

The diffs are over filled. No matter where the fill plug is, ( aftermarket covers usually have them alot higher) you dont need to fill the diffs any higher than the bottom of the axle tube. The reason you are seeing it in the driver wheel well in the rear, is the diff vent tube is routed along with the fuel fill hose up there and with the heat generated by the new gears breaking in, coupled with the diffs being overfilled, it is blowing oil out the vent tube.

Joe
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

i dont think its overful
we put 1 and half bottles in with what didnt make it from the bottle makes about 1.4 which is what it says to put in

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

No it's likely not overfilled. The front diff uses a reverse rotation which along with high heat will cause it to spew out- especially at hwy speed. You can still take a small amt of the fluid out (since it's coming out anyway), and be safe- just make sure not to empty too much. Re-routing and/ or raising the vent tube into the engine bay will help also. It will still come out, but it will drip down the tube more instead of coating the drive side frame, control arms, body, etc. I also added a larger breathe cap to replace the little plastic OEM vent cap- which seems to help somewhat, although does not completely eliminate the overflow. JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Granite Guru

Reverse rotation DOES NOT MEAN IS SPINS BACKWARD. High pinion gears have no different oiling than do a standard set of gears. Reverse rotation is a confusing term for alot of people. We do at least 4 sets of gears a week here, and NEVER have vent tube issues unless its over filled. When we ran the JK Adventure, we had 5.38's and 40's. We ran at over 90 mph for just under 2 hours and didnt leak a drop. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
No it's likely not overfilled. The front diff uses a reverse rotation which along with high heat will cause it to spew out- especially at hwy speed. You can still take a small amt of the fluid out (since it's coming out anyway), and be safe- just make sure not to empty too much. Re-routing and/ or raising the vent tube into the engine bay will help also. It will still come out, but it will drip down the tube more instead of coating the drive side frame, control arms, body, etc. I also added a larger breathe cap to replace the little plastic OEM vent cap- which seems to help somewhat, although does not completely eliminate the overflow. JMO
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Granite Guru

Remember that this is from a FACTORY service manual, for FACTORY reference. Its a starting point. You have different diff covers, different gears, which will generate more heat, displace more fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
i dont think its overful
we put 1 and half bottles in with what didnt make it from the bottle makes about 1.4 which is what it says to put in
post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Offroad View Post
Reverse rotation DOES NOT MEAN IS SPINS BACKWARD. High pinion gears have no different oiling than do a standard set of gears. Reverse rotation is a confusing term for alot of people. We do at least 4 sets of gears a week here, and NEVER have vent tube issues unless its over filled. When we ran the JK Adventure, we had 5.38's and 40's. We ran at over 90 mph for just under 2 hours and didnt leak a drop. Good Luck.
Reverse cut- sorry. I didn't say that they spin backwards. Was just offering up an opinion anyway. Guess it's just overfilled then.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
. Re-routing and/ or raising the vent tube into the engine bay will help also. It will still come out, but it will drip down the tube more instead of coating the drive side frame, control arms, body, etc. I
little IMPORTANT INFO
when you raise your breathers into the engine bay make SURE you DO NOT leave them hanging over the exhaust manifolds. Gear oil WILL BURN, as in FLAMES....dont ask how I know this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Granite Guru

Usually too much fluid. I've seen someone overfill an ARB diff cover, it built enough pressure to leak out of both side seals. You can always add a catch can to the vent line. We use these on our KOH race car for every thing. Psc motorsports builds them. Here ya go. Adam

post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Had that happen to me as well, leak from the tube ends, turned out to be that's seal was pinched.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe4x4 View Post
Usually too much fluid. I've seen someone overfill an ARB diff cover, it built enough pressure to leak out of both side seals. You can always add a catch can to the vent line. We use these on our KOH race car for every thing. Psc motorsports builds them. Here ya go. Adam

Hey that looks sorta like my homemade one, cept mine is just made for catching any excess

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #12 of 13 Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

THAT's TOO INOVATIVE! nice job.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Rock God

This happened to me, I have a long post about it somewhere in this section, but ended up needed the front redone. Nothing was visibly wrong, but after new bearings, etc, its fine. Mine took about 500-600 miles to manifest though.

LJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode