Morph of a JK Slider with Power Step for the disabled - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Morph of a JK Slider with Power Step for the disabled

I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing what Rock Slide Engineering is up to with their new JK Slider with a built in power step. It is a way cool mod for making getting into a lifted rig a whole lot easier. It is cool enough that even though I don't have a JK these guy have had to put up with me pestering them for months.

Finally amputees like me, folks with other mobility issues and just any ol' person who has trouble getting in a E 350 Ford Van has a new option coming down pike!

This all began when Sportmobile & Disabled Explorers finished the WAVE (Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions) for SEMA last year (biggest aftermarket autoshow in the world for those not in the know). Sure the rig was perfect for someone in a wheelchair, but for anyone who could walk it was a challenge to step up & into.

The last day of the show I did some frantic looking around for any kind of rock slider or step that would help folks get in through the front doors but not get ripped off the rig when wheeling...and I found this thing:

It is new product created by for the JK Jeep Wrangler by these guys and was very very cool to see in person:

Here is a video from their Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12545998774725

Sure there are sliders that will protect the body of the Ford van, but the way Sportsmobile builds these things sitting on ARB springs you don't often hear of people banging up the panels. Really the issue is getting in & out of something so high off the ground.
Of course I could just go with a hoop or something like that but then I risk more damage by having something low hanging that can caatch on rocks, stumps and such.

No what is needed is a slider that has a powered step that comes out & down then tucks up and away. And that is just what Rock Slide Engineering has created.

After much back and forth talk, working on schedules, planning, wishing and praying I drove from Phoenix to Logan Utah and dropped off the WAVE for the prototyping phase so these puppies can come into the world.

Mount Logan Off Road is the shop that has Rock Slide Engineering as an offshoot. And I can say that they seem to do some wicked nice work up there. I was greeting by these toys when I pulled in.

So the project has begun...I will be returning next Friday to pick up the rig before heading off to Iowa to support some disabled riders in the RAGBRAI bike event. Watch for updates here, on the Facebooks pages of Disabled Explorers and Rock Slide Engineering and if you are local to the Salt Lake City/Ogden/Logan area stop by and visit with the guys, see the project and let me know what you think.
The guys are gonna try to send pics through the process and if so then I will update as I get'em.

After seeing how well these sliders have held up on the JK's I am really looking forward to putting them through their paces and seeing how great they are for anyone who needs a bit of a lift getting in their rig and wants to keep the body panels straight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A 501c3 non-profit working to bring independent backcountry 4wd travel to the disabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Granite Guru

how freaking cool beans are those!

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

They've been teasing us with this product since Nov. 2009
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18115

They still don't have a price set or a release date.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Wheeler

I'd like a set of these as well.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon - Black
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Reminds me of those old nights with the x-wife.
Watching her undress & get into bed only to turn & face the other way.

I wish they would get in gear. Watching the little Mrs. Fall out of the 2-door with 6" lift was fun forca while, but now she's just getting pissed. Lol

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

very cool now i can wheel forever
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

YouTube - RockSlidePowerStepSlider1

I just managed to get this together while on the road supporting some disabled bike riders.

The power step/slider isn't finished yet but at least you get to see a little bit of it in action. I will be back at Rock Slide Engineering Monday and we hope to have it done then.

Sorry about the quite audio....don't forget we are a all volunteer, donation support non-profit doing the best we can with what we have.

A 501c3 non-profit working to bring independent backcountry 4wd travel to the disabled.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very cool stuff!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode