Hemi guys, have you used a programmer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hemi guys, have you used a programmer?

Like the title says. Looking to squeeze some more power out of my Jeep as I'm getting a bit bored with it on the street, trail is perfect(other than I don't like the pedal being jumpy, but I'm used to this as all my old Jeeps had jumpy pedals too.

Currently my setup is:
BOR 5.7 swap w/ 6.1 intake and 6.1 heads
True (high clearance) dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow X-Flow muffler
4.88 gears

Has anyone tried or had any luck with programmers, I don't want to F anything up?

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not here , but if you're bored I don't think a programmer is going to do it for you.

Super charger

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Rock God

Its not going to add power but you could add the Sprint Booster and it should help a lot with the throttle response and sensitivity. http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-113-at.aspx

you could add water methanol injection and you would gain 15hp-25hp without a tune and a significant drop in air intake temps. It will help a whole lot with heat soaking which the hemis are known for. http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...w/ISG-A10.html

Then you could add long tube headers from 4WS which should gain 10hp-20hp. http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/72939
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Ok I have always wondered this as well. From what I have read kits like the AEV start by using the stock PCM from a Grand Cherokee which THEORETICALLY means you can tune it with the DiabloSport Predator/Trinity but I wouldnt test that unless I was near AEV/BOR to have it reflashed in case anything goes wrong.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by edivebuddy View Post
Not here , but if you're bored I don't think a programmer is going to do it for you.
Super charger
Definitely not bored enough for a SC. I'd end up really tearing it up, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
Its not going to add power but you could add the Sprint Booster and it should help a lot with the throttle response and sensitivity. http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-113-at.aspx

you could add water methanol injection and you would gain 15hp-25hp without a tune and a significant drop in air intake temps. It will help a whole lot with heat soaking which the hemis are known for. http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...w/ISG-A10.html

Then you could add long tube headers from 4WS which should gain 10hp-20hp. http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/72939
Good ideas, I haven't heard of the sprint booster, maybe that's all I need!?

The headers are sexy & I thought about that before I put the new exhaust on but didn't know 4WS made a set for us! The grand cherokee ones were the only ones I thought would work and they are hard to find and over 1500 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Ok I have always wondered this as well. From what I have read kits like the AEV start by using the stock PCM from a Grand Cherokee which THEORETICALLY means you can tune it with the DiabloSport Predator/Trinity but I wouldnt test that unless I was near AEV/BOR to have it reflashed in case anything goes wrong.
x2, I don't want to be a guinea pig. Haha.

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had a DiabloSport predator on my 08 hemi Dodge Charger - lots of positives, but a couple of negatives that made me end up taking it off.

1. Yes, it did make a noticeable difference in acceleration on 93 Octane.
2. Made the throttle feel more like a cable, so it was a steady acceleration.
3. Allowed me to adjust the transmission to shift more quickly.

Overall I was happy with it for about 3 months, then I noticed the transmission started making a strange noise when decelerating from 2nd gear to first. I had the autostick option and it DIDN'T do it when I would shift manually between 2nd and first. Ever blow over a bottle and it makes a sound? Kind of like that in rapid succession, followed by a vibration. Did this consistently every time. Since it was new and under warranty I decided to remove the tune and take it to the dealer to have them check it out. First time I drove it after removing the tune the sound and vibration was gone and it drove normally. Put the tune back on and the vibration and sound was back with it. Removed it and never put it back, and never had a day of trouble with the Charger after that.

I also had a DiabloSport Predator on the Corvette (2005 Z51) for a couple months and I just removed the tune from that car last week for two different reasons - 1, it was TOO powerful for the stock tires. If I put it to the floor from a dead stop it would spin the wheels like my 68. If I was already traveling around 30-40 and hit it, it got really squirrely. A stickier tire may have solved that, but I wasn't about to throw out $1700 worth of Goodyear F1's away. The other issue was that I started getting a "Service Charging System". Every 3rd or 4th start it would come on while the tune was installed, and never came on since it's been removed. Dealer inspected the charging system and both the battery and alternator are fine.

So while I can't speak for what it would do to a non-performance vehicle, those have been my experiences on two different vehicles with Predators. The performance was certainly there, but for me the side effects outweighed the benefit of the extra power.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the info Ron!

Fenders & Rockers -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode