RR Smiling Bob's Breather Tube - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

RR Smiling Bob's Breather Tube

So I installed the River Raider Smilin' Bob's Breather tube kit today. While it's a pretty cool idea to tie your breathers into the airbox, I think if I could go back I'd just go down to the local auto parts store and buy a whole bunch of 5/16 fuel line hose and just raise the breathers. The kit comes with limited directions, which, it is pretty self explanatory...but a general way to run the tubing would've been nice. I just ran it down the passenger side frame, and up over/through the fuel tank to the rear tube.

Also, I wasn't really keen on running my front breather tube over to the passenger side, so I ended up going to NAPA anyways and purchasing about 10' of 5/16 fuel line hose so I could run it up and around the engine bay rather than underneath the engine and over to the passenger frame rail. The other no-no is you end up placing a few of the breathers lower than stock. Which isn't really a problem unless one of the tie-in connections comes undone somehow.

It's fine, but the reason I bought this kit was for the convenience of not having to go to the auto store and pick up this and that. It just suffers from poor directions. I know there's not a whole lot to it, but a little guidance on how to route everything would go a long way I think. For me, the convenience was lost and I ended up having to pay more for a kit (including shipping) and an additional 10' length (own preference) than if I had just run to the store and picked up 25-30' of 5/16 fuel line in the first place and routed them all into the engine bay. Not knocking RR, just if I could go back for this mod I might do it "the other way".

It is an interesting concept to tie everything into the airbox (no...i'm not afraid of overflow), however, and if I ever got a snorkel it pretty much axes any chance of taking on water into these areas even when completely submerged. That I find the plus. Some are afraid of potential overflow into the airbox, but I'm going to trust RR has run this kit a good amount of trail time and not found it an issue when maintaining proper fluid amounts.

And that's that. Take it for what it's worth. At least my breather tubes are no longer susceptible to taking on water.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the review.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

Yes great review. You have swayed me to buy the line and do it myself. I will report my review of a DIY here once finished...THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Granite Guru

i thought about that kit too and I guess if you live somewhere that has alot of water and getting submersed is a big concern then do the airbox tie in. I did the cheap extension tube from napa and its been perfect. besides I was able to run my extension tubes high enough that if I get that deep in the water my rig will float away.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Bought a full roll of fuel line and did it myself. T-case and front diff are tied into air box, rear diff is routed inside and up the pass side rollbar about half way to the top. If it sucks water, the diff is the least of my worries. (Running an AEV snorkel too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode