My foot is about to melt..... AHHHHHH! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question My foot is about to melt..... AHHHHHH!

Okay, I removed the carpet a few weeks ago, but I haven't had a chance to herculine my tub yet. I wasn't too worried, but I drove it for the first time the other day since removing the carpet and I swear the croc's I was wearing were about to friggin' melt onto my foot from the heat.

Will the herculiner help with heat? Has anyone installed a heat shield above the transmission?

I'm sure I'm missing a good post on this topic.... but the friggin' search feature doesn't work for shit

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Get some insulated crocs....

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Get some insulated crocs....
.... or a heat shield shoe

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

problem isnt the heat... problem is that youre wearing crocs. theyre for old women gardening!!
post #5 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrunit View Post
problem isnt the heat... problem is that youre wearing crocs. theyre for old women gardening!!
x2. Serves you right for wearing crocs.

PS: you should try going for a drive through soft sand for an hour....you could cook an egg on the floor!

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #6 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Granite Guru

Just one more reason, in a long line of reasons, to not wear Crocs outside of the house.

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
or check out my

post #7 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Rock God

I just drove 9 hours from OBX back home. The floor was HOT. My son's stuffed animal was on the floor most of the way and it felt like it came right out of the dryer.

I'm considering ripping all my carpet out since it got wet when we had the top off on vacation. Do any of the bedliner treatments insulate as well?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #8 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 AM
JKO Addict!

You're Jeep is aware and attempting to do you a favor by melting those things off of your feet. Let it help you.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go barefoot, after awhile the callouses will make you immune....it works for Hobbits and Sasquatches....

/

post #10 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

From what I've read in many threads, the bedliner doesn't help with the heat.

Oh yeah, get rid of the crocs, they're

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #11 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
From what I've read in many threads, the bedliner doesn't help with the heat.
x2

The carpet is an excellent source to reduce heat on the floorboards in our jeeps and a lot of people forget about this.

Then you see people with no carpet and all drainplugs pulled and then they will complain how hot it is in the jeep when driving around town or taking long trips.

I've seen people remove the carpet and actually put it back in because of floorboards get to hot. You could get a floor mat, but that will probably melt

A lot of the spray in bedliners do little or nothing about heat. I've been searching for a good insulator spray in bedliner and the best I've found is vortex.

Good luck!
post #12 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I laid several pieces of aluminum backed adhesive heat shield before spraying. It helps alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #13 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod
post #14 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for going easy on me concerning the crocks

Okay... I pretty sure the consensus is that the crocks are and should be jettisoned from the Jeep.

The Lizard Skin stuff looks promising, albeit expensive, and I have to figure if it will be a problem to spray the Herculiner over top of it.

Scottrock - What product did you use? The type of heat shield I'm familiar with has the aluminum facing out and the adhesive side on the back..... where the aluminum reflects the heat back towards the source of heat. Is this what you used.... or is it different?

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #15 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
Thanks for going easy on me concerning the crocks

post #16 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

In my defense I wasn't wearing socks or a cape

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #17 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Rock God

I'm sorry, I really didn't want to be just another jerk only commenting to bash you for wearing crocs, but I just gotta jump on the ol' douchewagon.

Let's just assume that ANYONE wearing crocs has NOT already seen this link...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=fashion

So... get those ugly things off your feet and burn 'em. If you have to, call up your fairy godmother and tell her you'd like your glass slippers back now, princess. Just stop wearing crocs. Please... all of humanity is begging you.

Oh yeah, and on the herculiner...
You could always herculine your jeep floor with melted crocs...
post #18 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
Scottrock - What product did you use? The type of heat shield I'm familiar with has the aluminum facing out and the adhesive side on the back..... where the aluminum reflects the heat back towards the source of heat. Is this what you used.... or is it different?
That's the same shit I used. I don't know what it's called as a buddy of mine just gave me a stack of it a few years ago. He called it "dynamat heat shield" but it had no logo on it. It was in good size sheets, like 1'X2'. Aluminum on one side, black sticky gooey crap on the other. I slapped one piece on each side of the tranny hump and one over the craptastic OEM deadener layer in the cargo area (for the Jeep dog).

I'm pretty sure it was hit with a scotchbright to rough it up but the spray on is sticking fine. Oh, and I used the bed liner product called SprayMax. Make sure whoever sprays it lays it on thick over the edges or you will be able to see it through the liner (I really didn't care, there is good coverage and it does what it's supposed to do. keep my shit from rusting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

First let me start out an say I DONT wear crocs!!! I monsterlined the tub a couple of weeks ago and have no problem with heat, but then again I wear work boots 90% of the time and flip flops on the weakends!!!I still have the mopar tire tread mats in there to catch sand dirt ect so maybe they are insulating the heat but to touch it dosenot seem hot. tha crocs thing is just too easy so ill just leave it alone!!!!
post #20 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like all your questions have been answered but I couldn't let it get by without a link to this thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28962

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #21 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Thus guy said Crocs are NOT gay. Zubaz are not gay either.
Attached Images

post #22 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Wheeler

I found that the heat on the floor was greatly reduced after installing a transmission cooler. Can't comment on the crocs, though...

'10 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited
post #23 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Rock God

Is this with the automatic transmissions? I have a 6spd with Monstaliner and I drive the Jeep barefoot with just the Mopar slush mats up front with no problem with heat.

Assuming this is an auto trans problem for you guys, as I can touch my tunnel and it's only slightly warmer than the rest of the vehicle's floor.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #24 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

I've got an auto w/Rhino lined tub and I think the lining helps a little but not much. I've taken many long trips on hot days and don't feel it's too hot. Course I don't wear crocs...

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #25 of 35 Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_phil View Post
Let's just assume that ANYONE wearing crocs has NOT already seen this link...

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=fashion
Dang. I hadn't seen that one yet. Love that site.... it's been awhile since I last visited it. Loved his Quantum Solace review.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode