Need Help with Hemi Swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Need Help with Hemi Swap

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but I've read a lot on here and I'm now in a position where I need some assistance. I'm not new to Jeeps at all, my JK is my 3rd one now so I've always had them but to the point, I'm looking to do a 5.7L Hemi swap (VVT Motor) and I can get the tranny and engine and swap kit from Burnsville offroad and do the swap myself but I'm kinda uncertain on my abilities to do it myself as I've never done much engine work before. Some of you might say have Burnsville do it and that'd be awesome but it's $22,000 to have them do it, but If I do it myself, parts & shipping last I checked would be between $12,000-$13,000 which is WAY better. I was wondering if anyone in Ohio (more of the Central Ohio Area) would be willing to assist me with the swap. I'd understandably compensate you for your time spent helping me with the swap. If anyone could possibly help me with this, please let me know asap. Thanks

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
RK X Factor Plus 3.5" Mid Arm
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti

Last edited by BA Rubi; 07-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

IIRC Jeep Speed Shop does a Hemi swap for about 10K complete. They're not really local to you, but for the price it may worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey daspes, ive read about Jeep Speed Shop before, their install prices are awesome but Calif. is literally the opposite side of the U.S from where I am, so thats kind of far for me to drive and would be expensive to ship the Jeep there...Thanks for the advice though

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Rubi View Post
Hey daspes, ive read about Jeep Speed Shop before, their install prices are awesome but Calif. is literally the opposite side of the U.S from where I am, so thats kind of far for me to drive and would be expensive to ship the Jeep there...Thanks for the advice though
200 in gas and a 300 plane ticket for trip... And a nice Break in run back when they are done with it.

post #5 of 27 Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Rock God

if you find some folks to help on the technical part Id be glad to ride the bike up and serve as an extra pair of wrenching hands. Your about 3 hrs away from me. I really dont know anything about the swap but I would love to learn more about it

No more Jeep
post #6 of 27 Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

I dont believe JSS is doing VVTs.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

You might want to PM DSY. I don't know if he would physically help. But he probably was the first person to do his own swap.

Here's his thread on it. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3373
post #8 of 27 Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Look up TheBigTMan here...he did his own as well.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #9 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
200 in gas and a 300 plane ticket for trip... And a nice Break in run back when they are done with it.
This is true, but a long drive to Nazifornia it is....

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #10 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Where is plain city? I might be able to help, but my wife has just about every weekend this summer booked up already... let me know when you start and I'll try to make it.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Granite Guru

I personally installed all the Hemi's at Screamin Lizard, and now own my own shop. Is Texas too far for you to drive??

Last edited by Tribe4x4; 07-14-2010 at 07:10 AM.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This is true, but a long drive to Nazifornia it is....
2 days vs 2 months of building.... i'm just saying...

where are you in ohio? you coming out to 4wd's jamboree next weekend? If you're not too far out i'll help ya put it in. I'm solid on everything except wiring. i HATE wiring lol.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Where is plain city? I might be able to help, but my wife has just about every weekend this summer booked up already... let me know when you start and I'll try to make it.
Its 30 mins east of columbus...

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #14 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe4x4 View Post
I personally installed all the Hemi's at Screamin Lizard, and now own my own shop. Is Texas too far for you to drive??

So...you would install it for me, or help me install it? I'm trying to avoid the expensive labor charges......

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #15 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Its 30 mins east of columbus...
Cool, I'm about an hour north east of columbus, so not too far.

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #16 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Cool, I'm about an hour north east of columbus, so not too far.
BTW, Did u have a shop do your hemi or did u do it yourself? Also, is it a 5.7 or 6.1?

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #17 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Rock God

Burnsville did the swap. It's a little of both, 5.7 block w/ 6.1 heads & intake.

Have been thinking about doing a swap in my dad's 2 door, but we'll probably wait until he retires so I don't get stuck doing all the work. Haha.

Fenders & Rockers -
post #18 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Burnsville did the swap. It's a little of both, 5.7 block w/ 6.1 heads & intake.

Have been thinking about doing a swap in my dad's 2 door, but we'll probably wait until he retires so I don't get stuck doing all the work. Haha.
Nice, that puts your 5.7 around 380-385 HP Rated, right? Thats cool....I'll give you a heads up when I begin the swap.

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #19 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Nice, that puts your 5.7 around 380-385 HP Rated, right? Thats cool....I'll give you a heads up when I begin the swap.
Not sure... I would guess that would be close. I put true duals (high clearance) to get some more out of it. Helped with low end torque and have more power clear through the RPM range. But.... still seems a bit sluggish and I think that's due to the electronic gas pedal. It's fine on the trail, just on the street where I'd like a little more... I guess it's never enough, right! Haha.

On the other hand, I drove my buddies 6 cly. 4 door the other day and I felt like I had to get out and pedal it!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #20 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Not sure... I would guess that would be close. I put true duals (high clearance) to get some more out of it. Helped with low end torque and have more power clear through the RPM range. But.... still seems a bit sluggish and I think that's due to the electronic gas pedal. It's fine on the trail, just on the street where I'd like a little more... I guess it's never enough, right! Haha.

On the other hand, I drove my buddies 6 cly. 4 door the other day and I felt like I had to get out and pedal it!
Yea, thats why I'm doing the VVT Hemi, TQ curve is supposed to be awesome

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #21 of 27 Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

I could definitely help you out, price is always depending on what install kit is used. I can promise you this, my labor rate is a lot lower than most! Adam 817-343-4551

post #22 of 27 Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bringing this thread back...i'm still planning out the swap and all parts including the engine can be bought through Burnsville (Dan's the man) but unfortunately the 6-speed getrag is no longer manafactured therefore i must find one that never sold which according to Dan at Burnsville would be impossible so I must now find that impossible tranny or find one from an 05 or newer dodge dakota 4x4 that is a 6-speed so if anyone could assist in finding tranny or a salvaged dakota with the proper tranny, that would be greatly appreciated...Stupid Getrag

09 2dr Blk Rubicon

Fully Built D44
LoD Bumpers
35" Toyos
Warn 9.5ti
post #23 of 27 Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Bringing this thread back...i'm still planning out the swap and all parts including the engine can be bought through Burnsville (Dan's the man) but unfortunately the 6-speed getrag is no longer manafactured therefore i must find one that never sold which according to Dan at Burnsville would be impossible so I must now find that impossible tranny or find one from an 05 or newer dodge dakota 4x4 that is a 6-speed so if anyone could assist in finding tranny or a salvaged dakota with the proper tranny, that would be greatly appreciated...Stupid Getrag
I am looking for a getrag as well. I search several sites every couple of days. I have even looked into converting a 2wd model to a 4wd, but I have not made that work quite yet. About ready to call it a day and get gears instead.
post #24 of 27 Old 11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe4x4 View Post
I could definitely help you out, price is always depending on what install kit is used. I can promise you this, my labor rate is a lot lower than most! Adam 817-343-4551
How much do you charge for the 5.7 and trans turn key?

JKOutcast
post #25 of 27 Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Rock God

BA Rubi,

If you run into any problems, you can PM me and I'll give you my cell. I'm a bit too far to help with the labor but I'll try to lend some advice if you run into a snag.

I don't have a complete list of guys that did their own hemi swaps but DSY, N30EX, TheMike and myself did our own swaps. I think Rodicon may have done it himself too. Anyway, there are several guys on here that can at least give you advice even if we can't help with the labor.

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode