Question about installing Wheel Spacers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question about installing Wheel Spacers

Instructions say to use "thread lock OEM wheels studs using Loc-Tight" to secure the bolt on to the rotor face.
If I ever wanted to remove the spacers, I'll have a bear of a time doing so.
Is it necessary to use the Loc-Tight?

I don't want the things flying apart on me, but I also don't want to use the force of Conan to get them apart (if I ever decide to do so).

2010 Unlimited Rubicon - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not 100% necessary, but recommended. Also, probably covers their end as far as telling you to do it so it won't seem like a fault of their under failure. Note: Hadn't seen a wheel spacer failure yet and we use them all the time.(Spidertrax)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

O.k., Then let's say that in a year I want to take them off.
How hard is that going to be with the Loc-Tite gooped on there?
Pretty much impossible, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

A drop will do. It doesn't make them hard to remove. The key is to break them loose by hand.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Granite Guru

Use it, I did. I would rather have the peace of mind knowing I followed the directions and have to use a little extra muscle to get them off. They will not be impossible by any means to get off!

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

o.k., this might seem like a stupid question but, would it be better to put the Loc-Tite on the ends of the bolts (if that would even make a difference), or should I go ahead and put a dab on the threads.
I completely agree with the peace-of-mind thing, just wondering it it would make things a bit easier down the road.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Loctite blue isn't that strong, so it's not hard to remove. It just takes a bit of extra torque.

Just don't use the red because that's supposed to require heat to remove!

The green is interesting because you apply it after the nut/bolt is assembled but I've never tried it.

end threadjack
post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Rubicon1 View Post
o.k., this might seem like a stupid question but, would it be better to put the Loc-Tite on the ends of the bolts (if that would even make a difference), or should I go ahead and put a dab on the threads.
I completely agree with the peace-of-mind thing, just wondering it it would make things a bit easier down the road.
Put a drop on the threads.

Like MaJiK hat said use the blue 242 Medium Threadlocker (don't use the red).

Here's a good description of the differences and how it works:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Locti...t_465271361156

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Granite Guru

Uuh guys, I know the Spidertrax ones come with red. It comes off fine.

And to the OP, it isnt welding them on. You can crack them with your OEM crowbar.

"And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyolfknip View Post
Uuh guys, I know the Spidertrax ones come with red. It comes off fine.

And to the OP, it isnt welding them on. You can crack them with your OEM crowbar.
That's totally up to you. I'm sure when I use it on a threaded connection that I will be able to remove the 242 if needed.

Here's what the loctite website has to say about it. YMMV

Quote:
Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.
Quote:
Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...er-Red-271.htm

crowbar

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awesome.
It comes with the Red, but I'll pick up some of the 242 Medium Blue.
I really appreciate the feedback!

post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Rubicon1 View Post
Instructions say to use "thread lock OEM wheels studs using Loc-Tight" to secure the bolt on to the rotor face.
If I ever wanted to remove the spacers, I'll have a bear of a time doing so.
Is it necessary to use the Loc-Tight?

I don't want the things flying apart on me, but I also don't want to use the force of Conan to get them apart (if I ever decide to do so).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrain View Post
Not 100% necessary, but recommended. Also, probably covers their end as far as telling you to do it so it won't seem like a fault of their under failure. Note: Hadn't seen a wheel spacer failure yet and we use them all the time.(Spidertrax)
Mine came apart doing 80 down the freeway. Use loc-tight. I didn't.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
post #13 of 15 Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post

crowbar

GK, I hate you It was last night on a shitty internet connection here in Afghanistan. You KNEW what I meant dammit...LMAO...LUG WRENCH...GFY

But ya the red stuff comes off of threads too.

"And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #14 of 15 Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyolfknip View Post
GK, I hate you It was last night on a shitty internet connection here in Afghanistan. You KNEW what I meant dammit...LMAO...LUG WRENCH...GFY

But ya the red stuff comes off of threads too.
lol, you know I had to

Quote:
post #15 of 15 Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Wheeler

I used locktite when i did my spidetrax install. Still came loose after 2 months. Cars started honking at me on expressway. Left rear tire was wobbling. the other 3 spacers I was able to get at least a half turn on all studs. Please check torque every few months when first install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode