Jeep build is done! (Basically :) ) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Jeep build is done! (Basically :) )

Alright guys! The Jeep build is basically done with a few exceptions. I'm either going flat flares or cutting mine before the upcoming MOAB trip. Here are a few pics. Let me know what you think!

2010 JK Unlimited (2wd to 4wd Conversion):
Front ProRock 44 with ARB, 5.13's, RCV shafts, Reid Knuckles
Rear RockJock 60 with ARB and 5.13's
Atlas II 4.3:1
Coast shafts
Poly 3' springs
King shocks from EVO
Teraflex Speedbumps
Teraflex controls arms
EVO rock rails
LOD front and rear bumpers with tire carrier
AEV Pintler beadlocks
BFG KM2's 37x12.5x17
Warn Powerplant (will be adding synth line soon)

I use an ARB style rocker switch to disable ESP when in 4-low since this is a conversion and I use the Flashpaq's crawl mode to correct the throttle response. Overall I absolutely love the Jeep and the progress of the build. I'll be testing it all out in Moab in about 3 weeks. This will be my first trip to Moab so I'm super excited. I live in northern Louisiana so we don't have any terrain like it here.

Alright guys let me know what you think! I know it's nice and clean right now

Last edited by jdahlum; 12-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Granite Guru

Looks great! Smart starting with a 2WD.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #3 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, it just made sense going that route knowing I would be putting the atlas in and the new axles. I did it all in my garage so I saved a good bit of money too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I forgot to mention the Currie anti-rocks front and rear. Love them!
post #5 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bad Ass get some flat fenders on there and you will be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Looks good. Do you know what basically done means? It means not done.... Where are you in Louisiana?

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Rock God

BAD ASS

In 2009 a crack commando wheelin' unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the South Florida underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as wheelers of fortune. If you have a problem. If no one else can help. And if you can find them. Maybe you can wheel with The 50/50 Off-Road Team.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ha! That's why I said "basically" My old Jeep had coilovers front and rear and I know I'll go that route with this one in the future but right now I'm happy. I'm up in Monroe. Where are you?
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Rock God

The two angles you just showed me of those LOD bumpers might have just sold a couple of them. I really like that!

Man, your Jeep is fantastic. I am super jealous of your trip to Moab too. I have been there once but I was in a 2wd Dodge Dakota company truck. Made my heart hurt so bad. I'll never forget how those red rocks made me feel.

How are you transporting?

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #10 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Looks great!
post #11 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

looks very good.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well the wife competes in women's figure/bikini competitions and she's doing a show in Vegas so we're actually driving the Jeep from here to Vegas and then heading up to Utah after the show. Lots of miles but what a great way to see the country! We did the same drive to Vegas last year as well and had the time of our life!
post #13 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahlum View Post
Well the wife competes in women's figure/bikini competitions and she's doing a show in Vegas so we're actually driving the Jeep from here to Vegas and then heading up to Utah after the show. Lots of miles but what a great way to see the country! We did the same drive to Vegas last year as well and had the time of our life!
Hrmm...I can see where this is going. LOL

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #14 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yea I figure the comments on the Jeep are done Here's a pic of the wife from a recent photo shoot Enjoy guys!

Last edited by jdahlum; 12-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Great looking jeep! and your wife ain't bad either Check out the will I regret trimming thread, a black unlimited in that thread has the perfect chop! Do it.

I used to live in Shreveport, loved it down there, but the wheeling terrain does suck unless you like mud.

LJ Rubicon
post #16 of 27 Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Wheeler

Jeep looks GREAT wife will ...... yes is BETTER.

I wish I would have gone the 2 to 4 conversion route when I bought mine.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

How are the Poly 3" springs treating you? Is there a lot of rubbing or have you significantly increased the bump stop spacers and added the speedbumps on top of that. I really like your set up and hope everything is working well for you. Make sure to take some pictures in Moab to post up!

~Casey

post #18 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

looks great! i want that rear LOD bumper...

and bullshit, no ones ever done!

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So far I'm really enjoying the Poly springs. I'm a fan of keeping the Jeep as low as possible to fit the right tires and the 3" springs fit the bill well. I've tested flex with the standard Dynatrac bump stops and the speed bumps and I need an inch and a half additional bump stop. I just ordered the Bushwacker flat flares in hopes of NOT increasing the bumpstops and allowing more up-travel so I'll let you know. I might still need a small amount of bump stop increase.

I'm not caring for the shocks much at all. It's hard to describe but I don't care for the valving. I've tried all sorts of various nitrogen charges, 125, 150, 175, and 200 and I still can't get it where I want it. On the compression side it feels nice and smooth at 125-150 and I like the ride but the rebound side seems to be the problem. It's almost like the shocks lose control of the springs and I get a front to back bounce or rock. A good example is stopping at a red light, if I come to a light with any speed and stop I will rock back and forth a second or two before the Jeep settles. I hope that makes sense and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it let me know! I really want to like these shocks but I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the coilovers I had on the old Jeep.

I guess I might not be done.......
post #20 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahlum View Post
So far I'm really enjoying the Poly springs. I'm a fan of keeping the Jeep as low as possible to fit the right tires and the 3" springs fit the bill well. I've tested flex with the standard Dynatrac bump stops and the speed bumps and I need an inch and a half additional bump stop. I just ordered the Bushwacker flat flares in hopes of NOT increasing the bumpstops and allowing more up-travel so I'll let you know. I might still need a small amount of bump stop increase.

I'm not caring for the shocks much at all. It's hard to describe but I don't care for the valving. I've tried all sorts of various nitrogen charges, 125, 150, 175, and 200 and I still can't get it where I want it. On the compression side it feels nice and smooth at 125-150 and I like the ride but the rebound side seems to be the problem. It's almost like the shocks lose control of the springs and I get a front to back bounce or rock. A good example is stopping at a red light, if I come to a light with any speed and stop I will rock back and forth a second or two before the Jeep settles. I hope that makes sense and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it let me know! I really want to like these shocks but I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the coilovers I had on the old Jeep.

I guess I might not be done.......
You should look into new King coilovers with compression adjusters... http://www.kingshocks.com/king-produ...sion-adjuster/
post #21 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice, but never done! Only tell the wife it's almost done.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #22 of 27 Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
JKO Addict!

That is a very impressive rig! I like the silver, with the pinter wheels and the 37s. Is that really an LOD front stinger??? It looks like the new PSC stinger!

One question for you: Since you just bought a new (2010) rig, why did you elect to buy 2WD, and convert it to 4WD? I am building mine, and I opted to go with an "X model" 4WD, because when I was done, it would far surpass that of a Rubicon, so the extra money up front, didn't make sense. But having it already be a 4WD, saves a lot of money and trouble.

I'm just curious, that's all. Nice build!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #23 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Granite Guru

Not positive on this one, but if you plan on replacing the stock 4WD transfer case with an Atlas then it makes a lot more sense to buy a 2WD. I'm not sure if there is much modification needed besides a 4WD transfer case, a new front axles, and a driveshaft. I'm convinced this is the way to go if you plan on swapping out the axles for something a little more..... . Correct me if I am wrong though...

~Casey

Last edited by Living Still; 07-14-2010 at 01:03 AM.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
That is a very impressive rig! I like the silver, with the pinter wheels and the 37s. Is that really an LOD front stinger??? It looks like the new PSC stinger!

One question for you: Since you just bought a new (2010) rig, why did you elect to buy 2WD, and convert it to 4WD? I am building mine, and I opted to go with an "X model" 4WD, because when I was done, it would far surpass that of a Rubicon, so the extra money up front, didn't make sense. But having it already be a 4WD, saves a lot of money and trouble.

I'm just curious, that's all. Nice build!

RC
I believe there is roughly a $2000 difference between a 2wd and a 4wd so since he decided to go with an atlas trans case and prorock/rockjock axles he saved money when it is all said and done. I have been told that the 4wd parts to convert from 2wd are only about $200 so it turns out to be about an $1800 savings which can be put towards the upgraded parts. If you are going to stay stock then you should def buy 4wd from the factory.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thats correct. I knew right away I would be installing the new axles and the atlas so it didnt make sense to buy 4wd and rip it all out. I got a good deal on the 2wd since it's not a real hot commodity so it made the choice easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode