Diff fluid question (stock rear, Dynatrac front) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Diff fluid question (stock rear, Dynatrac front)

Ok, so I changed my diff fluid today for the first time. I'm just over 500 miles since the gear swap and it was time.

The good news -- the fluid was not milky at all from what I could tell. Not that I've done any really deep water trails, but I've been a bit puckered a couple of times and figured I'd taken on a little H2O at least.

The bad news -- I cannot for the life of me figure out how much fluid to put into these diffs.

First, the owner's manual does not state a capacity from what I could tell. If it does, then someone please tell me the page number.

Second, I searched here and found this thread where Phil states 2.75 pts front, 4.75 pts rear.

I started with the rear and I had it lifted off the ground on jack stands 'cause I figured I'd be able to give it a tad bit more that way. Well, I got just less than 2 quarts (4 pints) in it before it started seeping out the fill hole.

On the front, I put what seemed like 1.5 quarts in it and it was still not seeping out the fill hole. I stopped and drove home. On the way, I called Aaron @ No Excuses who did the gear swap and front axle install. I asked him how he did it and he basically told me he stuck his finger in the fill hole and felt the level of the oil until it was level with the bottom of the axle tubes.

My first question, what's the small plug for in the Dynatrac axle below the fill plug? I was under the impression that it's to be pulled and when the fluid comes out that hole it's full. Is that right?

Second question, is 4.75 pints a good capacity for the stock rear (stock cover, too).

BTW, the lube locker for the rear was AWESOME. Too bad they don't make them for the Pro Rock 44... do they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Rock God

Pints, and math, kinda suck since they sell the shit in quarts. 1.4 front, 2.4 rear. These are stock specs, but I would guess the dynatrac is the same. If it were my axle, I would call dynatrac, but I bet its the same.

With a stock rear cover, park on a steep downhill so you can get the proper amount of fluid in or get a solid cover with a higher plug.

LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Just fill it till it pours out the fill hole. Any excess will come out the breathers.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Granite Guru

I did 1.5 quarts in my prorock and about 2.375 quarts in my stock rubi rear w/ a ARB cover.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony23 View Post
I did 1.5 quarts in my prorock and about 2.375 quarts in my stock rubi rear w/ a ARB cover.
What did you do for a gasket for your prorock? I have to change mine now after break-in, and they have a customize cover as you know.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #6 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
what's the small plug for in the Dynatrac axle below the fill plug? I was under the impression that it's to be pulled and when the fluid comes out that hole it's full. Is that right?
The top(large) hole is for fill and the lower (small) is for level.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

For the front I'd get an opinion from Dynatrac, but on a stock Rubi D44 the factory spec is 1.35 quarts (2.7 pints), the rear is 2.4 quarts (4.75 pints). Re: the front Dynatrac, I would guess it's about the same as stock, IIRC they use a very similar center section. The Dynatrac cover probably has a raised fill hole, like most custom covers, but I wouldn't just fill to that hole and let it go. It may just start puking the excess out the breather. As for the stock rear, you won't be able to get it all in via the fill hole, particularly if you've got a corrected pinion angle. Fill it to the bottom of the fill hole, put the plug back in and put in the remainder through the breather fitting on the axle tube. This is not a place to run a reduced lubricant capacity.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
Just fill it till it pours out the fill hole. Any excess will come out the breathers.
you only want to do this with the stock diff covers... other covers have higher holes and you have to do the math and add a certain amount or it could all go bad...

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #9 of 11 Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
What did you do for a gasket for your prorock? I have to change mine now after break-in, and they have a customize cover as you know.

RC
Use black RTV.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

I have the front dynatrac. There is an allen bolt about where the fill hole would normally be. Take it out when you start filling. When oil starts coming out the diff is full.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #11 of 11 Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I was wondering the same thing. I put a Riddler cover on my rear diff. Filled it with about 2.4 quarts. In my past vehicle I'd fill it to the recommended level and I could always feel the fluid when I stuck my finger in the hole (get your mind out of the gutter ). I bet I could have easily put 3 quarts in. You think I should go ahead and add to 3 quarts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode