Urgent body lift help needed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Urgent body lift help needed

This is my first new thread asking for help but I need it bad. Im installing a PA 2" body lift. Everything was going fine until I got to the front core stock bushing. For the PA kit you are supposed to hammer out thse two bolts on the side.

Its pictured in step 21 at this link. http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Went over to the vice, took said hammer, and nothing. Tried a little harder while still under control and it started to bend the "wings" on the core support rather than extracting the bolts. PLEASE HELP! I have tried PB by the way.

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

22 views, someone please help me out

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Try using a flat head screw drive in the side as a wedge and go around the whole side. Have any liquid wrench or WD40? Might just have gunk pushed in there jamming it

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

have you tried using a piece of pipe or even a big enough socket to fit over the whole bolt head and sandwiching the whole thing in the vice and cranking the vice to press the bolt out instead of hammering it?

that way you push straight and are supporting the area around the bolt head with the pipe/socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Wheeler

support the wings while you hammer out the bolt. I bent my wings a bit but they straighen out when bolting up just keep whakin those bolts

37" Pitbull Rockers on 15x8 Daytonas
BDS 4.5" Long Arm Lift
PA 2" body lift
XRC Stinger with a Warn M8000
EVO C2 Gussets
Selectable locker mod
Teraflex S/T System
post #6 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
Try using a flat head screw drive in the side as a wedge and go around the whole side. Have any liquid wrench or WD40? Might just have gunk pushed in there jamming it
Neither screwdriver nor pb worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
have you tried using a piece of pipe or even a big enough socket to fit over the whole bolt head and sandwiching the whole thing in the vice and cranking the vice to press the bolt out instead of hammering it?

that way you push straight and are supporting the area around the bolt head with the pipe/socket
Its a round head

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smack View Post
support the wings while you hammer out the bolt. I bent my wings a bit but they straighen out when bolting up just keep whakin those bolts
Interesteing. Im not a small dude and I have them some good licks.

Thanks for the help! Everything went back in the box and the jeep is back together until I figure something out. Got the new rims and tires on so thats good enough for now.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I installed mine (P.A. 2") without any problem...

Used the bench vise and hammered them out...

Just hit hard, straight, with good support for the oem wings...
Good luck!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxinFish29 View Post
...Its a round head.....
Even better. Like Venom said, use a pipe or socket that is a little bigger than the head and long enough for the bolt to slide into it. Then use the vice as a press to force the bolt back into the socket.

Good luck.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode