Front axle strengthening advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Front axle strengthening advice

I've had fun in the mud, but I'm hooked on the rocks. I know I'm going to bend something besides my draglink sooner or later.
  • I'm running 35" KM2s on the stock Rubicon D44.
  • I'll never go larger than 37"
  • This is my daily driver
  • I want to keep my ABS, and Rubicon electronic lockers (for now)

Should I :
  1. Weld on gussets, trusses, and insert sleeves
  2. Buy a Dynatrac Pro Rock D44
  3. Buy a Currie or Dynatrac 60

Thanks.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

I know exactly how you feel. Damn that South Jersey Sugar Sand Mud.

I just went thru that after I destroyed my 30. It all comes down to preference. I ended up sleeving/gusseting/rcv'ing mine instead of buying a new axle, since there was nothing wrong with my housing/tubes. I am more than comfortable for when I move up to 37's. It's more affordable than buying a new axle, however, joePILE was in the same spot and ended up with a dynatrack 44. He's happy, I'm happy. Either way it is a win. If you can afford to do a new axle, go for it, otherwise, save your pennies and beef the hell out of yours. You can put the loot saved towards some bigger tires...

I know everyone else will say to go 60, but, we aren't exactly in moab out here...

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #3 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

very simple...

If you can afford #2 or #3- go for it.

If you can't afford those, do #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Rock God

I did the gussets, sleeves, external shell from R-SE, PSC diff cover, Poly lca skids and RCV shafts. Basically, it's similar to what Doc did in his D44 writeup. I think it will do well even behind the Hemi. If I were you, I'd do the same...unless of course you have lots of extra cash floating around.

The 60 is certainly a very nice option but I didn't feel the need to go that route as I only plan to run 37"s max.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiZealot View Post
I've had fun in the mud, but I'm hooked on the rocks. I know I'm going to bend something besides my draglink sooner or later.

Should I :

Thanks.
Do THIS.....

Its 1/2 the cost of a new front end (about 1K) and better cause it addresses the pinon/castor adjustments. You also don't need to reset the ring and pinion so it will save even more $$$.

Another write up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #6 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

PIG, have you guys gotten any donor / exchange housings going yet?
post #7 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Wheeler

Here's what I've done so far to my 44 front axle: Teraflex C-gussets, EVO LCA skids, Rock Krawler axle gusset, and RK trackbar gussets (don't think they make these anymore). I believe I've addressed the major weaknesses of the axle with these mods. It only cost me about $150, but I was fortunate enough to not have to pay for labor. I may upgrade to cromoly axles in the future.

I do like PIG's option the best, I think that would make a hell of an axle, I'd go that route over a Dynatrac any day.

Kevin

2008 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
35" Goodyear MTR's on 16" Black Rock Steelies
3.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift
5.13 gears
EVO 1/4 Pounder front bumper
XRC 10 winch
LoD Shorty rear bumper
LoD Sliders
EVO rockstars, LCA skids, C-gussets, RK axle truss, RK trackbar gussets, Riddler diff covers, Benchmark evap skid

Last edited by Rubi 2sday; 07-08-2010 at 06:08 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Rock God

I went with a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 in my Rubi. I was lucky enough to have a great shop recommended to me, and they had a new un-installed Pro Rock 44 in stock that another customer had ordered in, and then decided to do something different. They sold me the Pro Rock 44 for a great price, and gave me $600 for my still straight Rubi 44 housing. I had figured out how much it would cost to buy the inner and outer sleeves, the C-gussets and the ball joints, and then have the axle disassembled and the new parts welded on. The price of the Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 was $100 LESS than the cost of re-inforcing my Rubi 44. I think it is a much better axle as well.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 07-08-2010 at 06:18 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Rock God

ugh.

42K miles on my Rubi, I wheel hard, but smart. Just blew my left front ujoint. Who the hell decided to make all the easy shit (everything) on the chassis "maintenance free?" I want to kill them. Seriously, how expensive are zircs?

Next time Im buying an oldsmobuick.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #10 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've done the reinforcement, but in hindsight I would have gone the full polyperformane treatment

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #11 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Should I :

Thanks.
I know you are on the east coast but I am sure you have heard of the "Hammer's" out here on the west coast. 100dollarman has the poly performance retube upgrade on his which is under $1K. It's the post from Pig. 100dollarman runs 40" tires and plays on these trails. That is way more tire than a dana 44 should have and way more trail than it should survive.... and it does just fine. I have done the same up grade and run 37's with ZERO problems and it's my daily driver and weekend 4 wheeler. You just can't go wrong with Poly on here you just can't. It's cheap and strong and it works.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I'm doing option #1 for now (using some of Pig's products). I'm in 37"s but wheel pretty smart and am typically light on the gass. Later, when the kids are out of college I'm goind D60's all around.... and I'll have hooker $ again lol

Does anyone do anything to beef up the rear D44? I have the RK 3 link so I have a truss welded on, that should make it a bit stiffer.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 07-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Pig,
just add me to the long list of people who overlook Poly Performance's quality kit in every list. That picture is exactly what I want.

Are you doing the core swap program still?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #14 of 16 Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

One more thing real quick. I know everybody here knows the difference between DOM and Chromoly tube, but even with knowing how much stronger Chromoly is the size alone of tube just makes this axle look so much better. It should have been 3" tube from the start. Pictures don't do it justice on how nice this axle is. I know I keep going on about this, but I have spent money for a 60 that built by some great guys down by the beach for a little over $6k for the front alone. This one was less than $1k. That just makes me happy!!
post #15 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Pig,
just add me to the long list of people who overlook Poly Performance's quality kit in every list. That picture is exactly what I want.

Are you doing the core swap program still?
It's OK man.... More and more are catching on to our Synergy Suspension line of parts. Give me a call and we can get going on your front end.

Dave
x203

//
//

//
//

post #16 of 16 Old 07-10-2010, 02:04 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
PIG, have you guys gotten any donor / exchange housings going yet?
Nope, and we are not really planning on it. 99% of guys want to use their factory front ends so they don't have to pay to reset the ring and pinion gears.

//
//

//
//

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode