Official "How I permanently fixed my tcase linkage problem" thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Official "How I permanently fixed my tcase linkage problem" thread

So it's happened to everybody.....including me last weekend a zillion miles from nowhere and out of cell phone range. Normally you just pop this thing back on and you're on your way. Well, not when you have a full Poly skid system. I wasn't getting anywhere near that thing....so Chrysler paid for a tow due to a 20-cent part failure.

What have you guys done for a more permanent, 'no worries' fix? I only want to have to drop that skid once. Yes, I searched, and came up with some good ideas. But it would be nice to have a thread with detailed ideas, parts and their sizes, how their holding up, etc etc. Let's hear 'em!

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

user error. just kidding

You can get a replacement bushing machined up out of metal but how it slips on but the physical loop on the cable itself is plastic too so I reckon it will fail again in the future even with a metal bushing.

Only real option would be to take the cable out and have its ends modified with some proper metal linkages, can't remember what they're called but they're the same sort of style as what most aftermarket swaybar droplink ends are.

Don't just do it at the transfer case end though - I helped a guy get his out of Low the other weekend, his was broken at the shifter inside the cabin!

goodluck

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #3 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

I have a fix.
It will require a couple hours to do & will set you back close to $200.00 but it eliminates the problem all together. Also, it works in the factory location with a better cable & rod end connections.

Shoot me an Email.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've crawled under my JK on the trail. Lucky I carry gloves in my tool bag. I used a tie wrap to hold the cable on until I could get home.

I was going to leave the plastic part inside the cable end and drill a hole in the lever and use a cotter pin. I'll probably still do that but I was just too lazy. So I put a new plastic piece on there. I always carry an extra one in the console.

I can't believe you couldn't use a stick or something to knock it back into 2wd to get home.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

What .20 cent part are we talking about here? Sounds like something I should have on hand...
post #6 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
I have a fix.
It will require a couple hours to do & will set you back close to $200.00 but it eliminates the problem all together. Also, it works in the factory location with a better cable & rod end connections.

Shoot me an Email.

Sounds like a NEW PRODUCT release. I'm down for an upgrade, I'll be a guinny pig.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #7 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
What .20 cent part are we talking about here? Sounds like something I should have on hand...
Shitty quality bushing that goes between the loop ends of the transfer case shift cable and the shift pawl on the transfer case (and lever inside the cabin). This piece of brilliant engineering is both susceptible to under-vehicle heat and slung grease, and actually contains the snap-in elements that hold it onto the pawl shafts. So when it breaks.....the cable comes off and the lever becomes as limp as Bob Dole. Usually you can crawl under there and zip-tie it while having the cat put 3rd-degree burns on your arm, with a belly pan I could not. If it breaks at the in-cabin end of the cable, good luck.

You best get you some to put into your boonie bag.

I'm going to track some down today and I'll post part numbers. Think I'm going to cut the bushing down and use a washer and e-clip to keep it from failing completely.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDTom View Post
user error. just kidding
Funny you say that! I knew from the start that you have to baby the tcase shifts on these, and that strong-arming the thing could only bring you pain. So I shifted the thing as gently as the virgin snow since the day I brought it home. Guess how much it helped? I would estimate it's been in and out of 4-lo probably 50-ish times, always rolling slowly in neutral and letting it line up and engage without resistance. This is one shitty piece of engineering.

-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have a fix.

Shoot me an Email.

Sweet. Novak Adapters, by chance?

-Milton Friedman
post #10 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
Mopar Part #68064273 AA

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I have shifted countless times in and out of 4wd with this setup. I did it shortly after getting my Jeep over a year ago. Looked at it the other day, looks just as snug when I installed it.

I pulled the cable down, ground off the plastic so it is flush with the cable end. Finagled a cotter pin over the nipple and snugged it down with pliers.

The load still rides on the plastic bushing, no slop in it because i kept the bushing, cotter pin just keeps it from flopping off. I wouldn't do anything else unless I broke the cable for some reason, which I think would be a little user error involved. Cost me about 5cents with how many cotter pins I own already.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 07-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.
post #12 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Mopar Part #68064273 AA
Thanks for the part # Stub

Anyone have an online source to purchase? The local dealer is out of the way, and won't take orders over the phone- they require you come into the shop and pay in advance
post #13 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Thanks for the part # Stub

Anyone have an online source to purchase? The local dealer is out of the way, and won't take orders over the phone- they require you come into the shop and pay in advance
The problem I found with ordering online is I can get the part for .24 cents, but get charged $8.50 for shipping.

In my case it will probably be best to just get them from the dealer or do a permanent fix myself.
post #14 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

In addition, I think replacing one crappy part with another is mildly retarded. I'm picking some up just so I can shave them down and leave the fastening part of the equation to something a hell of a lot more durable. I'd rather set it up once than crawl around in the dirt under a hot rig every few months just to replace the same failure-prone part.

I'm hitting Fastenal later, I'll report on correct clip and washer sizes and types, etc.

-Milton Friedman
post #15 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
In addition, I think replacing one crappy part with another is mildly retarded. I'm picking some up just so I can shave them down and leave the fastening part of the equation to something a hell of a lot more durable. I'd rather set it up once than crawl around in the dirt under a hot rig every few months just to replace the same failure-prone part.

I'm hitting Fastenal later, I'll report on correct clip and washer sizes and types, etc.
...looking forward to your fix.

btw- just pick up tripple of whatever you get so we can do mine before it breaks.

2016 JKU
post #16 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

You've got it.

I like this guy's idea.....scroll about half way down.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/not...y-44382-2.html

-Milton Friedman
post #17 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Rock God

I think a sleeve with two washers would work well. You might be able to find a stepped washer which would work even better. Let us know what you find. I hate that plastic clip thing too.
post #18 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Fastenal.....what a joke.

Ran over to my local Fastenal at lunch. Found a million things online with them, knew if they even had a fraction of that I could find what I needed. The place was a wreck, shit all over the floor you had to step around, empty paper towel rolls on the floor, packaging....a dump. Half the containers on the shelf were empty, the ones that had anything in them were nothing you need. No sleeves, no fittings, nothing. I thought this was supposed to be the grand daddy of fastener stores? It was pathetic.

Needless to say I'll be going to Lowes of all places, and see what I can find there. So, no updates.

^^ Need a couple of those.

-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 07-08-2010 at 01:11 PM.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Needless to say I'll be going to Lowes of all places, and see what I can find there. So, no updates.
DO you have an Ace Hardware nearby? I find Ace to be better for actual hardware needs.
post #20 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, got an Ace not too far from here. Maybe I'll check with those guys.

-Milton Friedman
post #21 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have a fix.

Shoot me an Email.

WTF? Just post the damn info already.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #22 of 33 Old 07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Fastenal.....what a joke.

Ran over to my local Fastenal at lunch. Found a million things online with them, knew if they even had a fraction of that I could find what I needed. The place was a wreck, shit all over the floor you had to step around, empty paper towel rolls on the floor, packaging....a dump. Half the containers on the shelf were empty, the ones that had anything in them were nothing you need. No sleeves, no fittings, nothing. I thought this was supposed to be the grand daddy of fastener stores? It was pathetic.

^^ Need a couple of those.
My last visit to Fastenal I found what I needed, but they only had in qty of 500... I only needed 6. Went ahead and ordered online.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #23 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So here's the fix.....

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=481844

-Milton Friedman
post #24 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

lol,,,Mine actually has a piece of clothes hanger twisted on it right now, But it works till I can or will fix it right!
post #25 of 33 Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

How hard is it to access the shift-pawl on the t-case?
I want to fix this before it breaks...have my buddies machine shop making the bushing required...going to use washers/e-clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode