RK 3.5" Long Arm Lift on 2 Door--Drive Shaft - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

RK 3.5" Long Arm Lift on 2 Door--Drive Shaft

I know it has probably been answered before (i did a small search but didnt find anything--admittedly I took all of 5 seconds to do it---what can I say...lazy)

But what driveshafts are you guys running that have a 2 Door with the 3.5" long arm lift from RK--I'm not talking about brands, rather lengths. I can always get a custom one done but that is some $$ that I may not have--I have seen JE Reel shafts with the 1310 joints on 4wd.com for about 500ish. They are more of the universal application though (from 3.5" to 6 inch lift I think the say).

I guess the question is---do I really need to do my kit and then measure the distance for the shaft or am I fine just ordering one prefabbed from JE Reel etc.... The Jeep is my DD other than my motorcycle and it cant afford to be down longer than a weekend (hence a little bit of my problem)

Last edited by henthorn; 07-07-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: been in Afghanistan too long and my spelling now sucks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Rock God

We just did a 5.5 longarm Poly lift on our 2dr rubi we waited to put it back on the ground before we ordered the front and back shafts from Woods on there web page they show how they meshure them .We babied the Jk for a week with no problems waten for the shafts. Just dont flex it and u will do ok on the road.(front will hit the crossover pipe ) U will see what I mean when u get under there. Good luck with ur build
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
---do I really need to do my kit and then measure the distance for the shaft or am I fine just ordering one prefabbed from JE Reel etc.... The Jeep is my DD other than my motorcycle and it cant afford to be down longer than a weekend (hence a little bit of my problem)
Ive been cruising around on my stock shafts with my RK 3.5 long arm lift for a while. That includes a trip to K2. I plan on taking a measurement for the front ds after i get my rock jock 60 installed (if it ever comes in). Ill also get a new rear ds.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

hrm... interesting.

How long do you guys think I could get by with running stock shafts for? Maybe a couple of weeks with some "mild" off-road?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

I can't say much from first hand experience, but it sounds like you'll be pretty okay. If stupidface rocked stock shafts at K2 with the same lift... I think they will hold up for a while. I would just plan to replace them at some point sooner than later. You could always go for some aftermarket shafts with OEM flanges as to use your stock shaft as a spare and keep costs down a bit. Shop around a bit for drive shafts as well. Most people run the Tom Woods or the JE Reels, but there are lots of other options that are reputable. Coast driveline and High Angle Driveline come to mind. Coast is considerably cheaper than Reel (http://www.coastdriveline.com/DriveShafts.htm). HAD builds some insane shafts for rock racers, and is sort of a call or PM kind of place (http://www.highangledriveline.com/). It is still probably worth checking out.

~Casey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Still View Post
.....If stupidface rocked stock shafts at K2 with the same lift... I think they will hold up for a while. I would just plan to replace them at some point sooner than later.

~Casey
Its been posted before, but this little video kinda gives an overview of what happened at K2. The front ds did touch the crossover pipe, but nothing major. Nothing broke. That being said, im getting new drive shafts soon.

YouTube - cory who dat.wmv

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 07-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
hrm... interesting.

How long do you guys think I could get by with running stock shafts for? Maybe a couple of weeks with some "mild" off-road?
I'm running a 3.5" clayton kit, and from my experience, you will be able to get by for a few weeks easy on stock shafts. I think my rear lasted me 1000+ miles, conservatively. This was with some basic trails, mudholes, water, etc thrown in. My front I thought was going a couple months after the rear started clicking on me, so I replaced it, only to find out the clicking was coming from elsewhere.

Basically, you should be fine, but definitely plan on upgrading as soon as you can to avoid any headaches.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode