U JOINT REPLACEMENT - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

U JOINT REPLACEMENT

i noticed that the front passenger side U joint has a lot of play in it the drivers side seens snug. im sure im do for replacements. i just turnd 93000mi wondering the dificulty in doing it myself or has anyone done a write up on it? part # would be great also,,,, any help would be great thanks

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

tools needed other than the normal tools to remove the shaft:
1 big hammer
1 deep socket the same size or smaller than the u-joint cap
1 deep socket BIGGER than the u-joint cap
screwdriver or snap ring pliers.

remove shaft from vehicle.
remove/loosen snap rings
place big socket open side up on hard ground, center bottom u-joint cap over opening.
place smaller socket on top cap
whack with hammer till cap pops off into big socket.
flip and repeat as needed

Install is reversed just don't loose the needle bearings. a good glob of grease helps.

The hammer method is the best way I know and I can do it anywhere with minimal tools.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Advance Auto parts does a loaner tool program... I was never coordinated enough to use usmcdocs method. Get a U joint press, they'll charge you $100 and credit it back when you return it.

it makes swapping it a breeze. probably take about 1.5 hours per side, mainly removing tire, caliper, axle and putting it back in again, pressing the ujoint takes about 10 -15min.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

WOW youz make it sound easy some things i just never did and this is one of them and i wasn't sure how i have been looking into it and the type of u joints that are out their it seems the best to go with is the ones that fail ????? and thanks for the replies they are much appreciated

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
post #5 of 20 Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

For the d30 you can use the spicer 5-760x, they run about $20 on ebay. The job isnt real tough, since you havent done it before, it will obviously take a little longer.

You'll need the following:

3/4" deep socket for the lug nuts
18mm wrench for the caliper
13mm 12 point wrench or socket for the unit bearing
36mm socket for the axle nut
size 5 all key for the abs sensor

Its just nuts and bolts. Go slow, take your time and make sure you have your tools before you start.

First one will take a while, after that it goes quick.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #6 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i could use some quick help please got the axle shaft back in BUT when im tighting up on it the shaft nut it keeps creeping forward with every turn of the wrench do i just keep tightening it or ? thanks for any and all the help kinda stuck

post #7 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i could use some quick help please got the axle shaft back in BUT when im tighting up on it the shaft nut it keeps creeping forward with every turn of the wrench do i just keep tightening it or ? thanks for any and all the help kinda stuck
What do you mean by creeping forward.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

the axle shaft . the more im tighting the more it is pulling out of the axle shaft ? i stoped tightening after it moved about 1" and wasnt sure if something was wrong or should i keep going until i get to the torque spec of 100 ? thanks for the quick reply

post #9 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are the 3 bolts in that hold the unit bearing in place?

PM sent before your post.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yes, got them in and tight everything except for the axle nut ?

post #11 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
yes, got them in and tight everything except for the axle nut ?
As long as the unit bearing is in place and tight the axle can pull out until the stub shaft is seated. Keep tightening, there will be a 1" or so gap between the inner axle yoke and the tube at the housing.

Quote:

post #12 of 20 Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok your right i should of tighten another 3/4 of a turn it did seat and thanks again for your quick reply man-o-man you just got to love the forums you ask and boda bing you got the answer

post #13 of 20 Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's what we're here for.....That and whole bunch of other B.S.

Quote:

post #14 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yes leave the ABS on and disconect it from the conection why ...... i broke both of mine trying to get off/on took my time taped sprayed wiggled they were locked in with rust and crud , part of one tore some of the rubber boot off and the other one the pick-ups would not go back in. so the money i saved by doing it myself just went out the door. but a good thing to know . seeings how i have to get the sencor and the part that goes into the bearing assembly, anyone else do that or is it just how things go ?
one more thing, before i put the shaft back in i looked into the shaft houseing and seen the (i think) shaft seals kinda tilted /leaning and when i slid the shaft in it seened ok , so out of querisity slid it back out looked again and seen the same thing . so i guess im trying to ask if the seals are pressed in or in some type of raceway thanks

post #15 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the abs sensors are cheap
http://www.moparonlineparts.com/part...layCatalogid=0

worth it to just goto dealer and get them instead of shipping. part # 68003281AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #16 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The seals are pressed in. They have a cone shape on the tube side that may make them look offset.

Quote:

post #17 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

any idea how to remove the part in the bearing hub ?

post #18 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
any idea how to remove the part in the bearing hub ?
carefully I got mine out just took a little patience, you would think they would come out easy but no. Its a 5mm allen key bolt holding them in if i remember correctly , then unhook the wire from the bracket to give you some slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #19 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
carefully I got mine out just took a little patience, you would think they would come out easy but no. Its a 5mm allen key bolt holding them in if i remember correctly , then unhook the wire from the bracket to give you some slack.

I also had to loosen the 3 unit bearing bolts to move the dust sheild enough for the sensor to clear the bearing housing.

Quote:

post #20 of 20 Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yes but with a lil fenageling i got it through... what i ment was the part that is in the well of the bearing it shows the part (sensor) to be 1 part wereas the part that goes into the well is only 1/4" (that i got out) and it shows it to be "aprx" 1 1/2" long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I also had to loosen the 3 unit bearing bolts to move the dust sheild enough for the sensor to clear the bearing housing.

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-11-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode