Trailer weight? Engineer's reading this?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trailer weight? Engineer's reading this??

OK so here is what I am thinking. I have a 2 dr Jeep wrangler with a 4.5 inch lift 37 " tire's and 5:38 gears with the 6 speed manual trans. Right now my trailer/ tongue weight is rated stock at 200#/2000# I plan on streching the rear axle back about 5 inches increasing wheelbase and upgrading the rear end to a dana 60 at the same time. This will also help with trailer sway because it will move the hitch closer to the rear axle. With the lower gear ratio than stock (even with the larger tire I am still lower) and the increased wheelbase and stronger rear axle my numbers should go up. I am not trying pull a huge trailer. This all centered around a tent trailer/pop up trailer. These are things that I was going to do already and after thinking about them I think they will help with towing as well. If towing is a concern the only variable that isn't covered is tongue weight that could be solved with airbags. These are all reasons I wish I would have bought the 4 door from the start but I didn't and now here I am. Jeep Liberty has a tow rating of 5000# which is crazy to me?? Or do I just not understand the mathmatics behind it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Granite Guru

you lost me when you started adding and subtracting... can you tow more with a stretch wheelbase? if the axle is closer to the hitch, yes.

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 06:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This has been discussed before and the Jeep engineers have stated that engine cooling is what limits the JK to 3500# towing capacity. Now, for the 2dr, I'd assume that the difference between 3500 and 2000 is mostly wheelbase, but I'm not sure how to figure how much more you could tow just by adding 5" to the WB. The 4dr WB is 116". What's the 2dr WB stock?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wheel base is 95.4 so I guess the max is to either use Rock Krawler's kit or build your own and do about the same in wheel base and go out to as much as 104". I was going to move the flare back to the end of the body curve and not comp cut that is why I said that original distance. I wasn't even thinking about cooling... thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

vehicle weight, cooling system, transmission or clutch characteristics, engine power, and brakes (ability to stop your load without your brakes catching fire) are all part of the figuring.

I'd say you'd be in the middle of JK and JKU tow ratings with the stretch. Since they are identical besides weight/wheel base.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

I think your insurance company would spank you for towing more than the mfg's recommendation, regardless of 'upgrades'. It's an easy out for them to point at the big trailer and low tow limit...

Though I did see a post a while back indicating that you can have an engineer of some type look at your mods and adjust the limit based on them. No clue if that is true, or who you would go to, or how much it might cost - but may be worth looking into?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

How Much does the trailer weigh?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
I think your insurance company would spank you for towing more than the mfg's recommendation, regardless of 'upgrades'. It's an easy out for them to point at the big trailer and low tow limit...

Though I did see a post a while back indicating that you can have an engineer of some type look at your mods and adjust the limit based on them. No clue if that is true, or who you would go to, or how much it might cost - but may be worth looking into?
Good point. What "you" think it can tow, and what the insurance adjuster, Department of Transportation, or the law thinks may be different. Can cause some issues! I wonder if DOT can tell you what you need to know, or find out?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

While it may be true that adding wheelbase and a stronger rear axle can be considered improvements to towing capacity, you must also factor that things such as lift, suspension alterations and larger tires would typically detract from the stock tow rating. I'm not sure adding wheelbase allows you to just assume better than stock tow rating ability when factoring in all of the other mods (especially if your brakes and drivetrain are still stock).

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I am looking at a total wet weight of around 2500 to 2800 and a hitch weight of around 250 to 280. So I am not going crazy but I am going over the recommended weights for this Jeep. I figure electic brakes on the trailer and upgraded rotors and pads. Just like everything we do to these damn things one thing snowballs into 100 more little things that change. Then again that's the fun of owning a Jeep. I am just fishing for info before shell out $14,000 for something like the Coleman Evolution E1 tent trailer and have the thing push me into the ditch. Right now the only other car I own is a 1995 Honda civic and that just won't quite pull it either! Thanks for all the feed back, this has given a few things to think about. I am still going to stretch the jeep and add the 60 and all that. I just might try to find a trailer of similar weight to rent first and see how the Jeep does before I buy one. On another note has anybody flat towed the JK with the Manual trans and 241 transfer case in Neutral. Does it lub OK or is it bad for it like the old Dana 300??
post #11 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Or you could buy an Unlimited w/ tow package. You are talking about some expensive mods there even if you do the work your self.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Granite Guru

towing

i own a 18ft bryant ski boat and pull it with my 2dr running 33's and stock gears (3.21). no issues with anything exept going up steep grades. i live in east tn so we have some hills. other than having to down shift and run mostly in 4th gear on the back roads and 5th on the highways no problem. the boat with full tank of gas and all the gear for a day will weigh somewhere around the 3k mark. i have been lookin at pop up campers myself and cant decide if i wanna go with a pop up or a smaller hybrid. i know the jeep will pull and stop it without any probs i just cant make up my mind.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I pull my Flletwood E1 with my automatic Rubicon Unlimited with no problem. Stopping is fantastic as the E1 has electric brakes. I've even had to make slam the brakes kind of stops and everything is fine. I've towed it from Miami to Tennessee and back with no problems at all and at 70+ MPH. I upgraded to 35's and with the stock 4.10 it still pulled fine but the gas mileage went to hell over 55 MPH. I recently changed gears to 5.13's and will go to 5.38's next week so everything should be fine again.

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode