Mastercraft seats - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Should I run this seat in my DD?
Yep! What're you waiting for, man?! 8 33.33%
No- you're an idiot- get this... 5 20.83%
Bacon (vote again, you dope!) 12 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003
Mastercraft seats

So I HATE the OEM seats. I do a lot of distance driving, some wheeling, and there are a lot of crappy, rutted roads up here. I'm taller (6'), but skinny (32-3" waist), and I'm looking for a comfortable seat.
I've run racing seats (non-suspension- Sparco, namely) on off-road vehicles (used to race rally), and oww. So I'm looking into running a suspension seat, but I've never run one before. I was looking for impressions of the Mastercraft Rubicon seat. The price is doable, and I don't mind a fixed back- I rarely ever recline my driver's seat (passenger side I'll get a reclining sucker).
I want to know:
How much lean-back is there? Is it gangsta-lean, or rather upright? (I prefer rather upright)
How comfortable are they for longer trips?
Any downsides (besides price, and loss of recline)?
Any other input- keep in mind, it's a DD, and on the street 85% of the time. I don't mind the rest of the rig rattling, shaking, and bumping down the road, but I want my butt comfy, at least
Thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

mark check out twisted stitch. heard only great things about them and they are a vendor.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
post #3 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I kinda like their stuff, but I can't find any pricing info anywhere! I'll check in with them after the 4th- Mark W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

P.S.- Adam- happy 4th! Call me back sometime, dude! Mark W.

post #5 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Poly is a retailer for them here. I have their Apex seats, SUPER Comfortable!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

im about your size, 6'3" and slender, i have the corebu racing seats in my JK, only thing i recommend is getting the lumbar support for at least yourself

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Rock God

do any of the suspension seats sit lower than our stock seats? I'm 6' 5" with about a 38" waist, and I have head room problems as it is. Would I fit ok in something like a mastercraft rubicon seat?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #8 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The wife went and talked to the guys at mastercraft when we lived in east san diego county. She sat in the Baja RS and told me that was the only seat I could ever put in the jeep. it had lumber optional heat and the thing reclined. Thats where my vote goes seemed to hold my 6'8" ass in it too.

however i have never heard anything bad about twisted stitch and i believe you can get damn near the same seat from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #9 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I was considering Corebu or Mastercraft as Twisted are way out of range with their pricing for my interest, especially after having had the opportunity to sit in each seat the twisted seats are not anything special over the Mastercraft or Corebu seats.

Last edited by d'sjk; 07-04-2010 at 10:22 AM.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
I was considering Corebu or Mastercraft as Twisted are why out of range with their pricing for my interest especially when having had the opportunity to seat in each the twisted are not anything over the Mastercraft or Corebu.
I have to ask- were you drinking while, or before you wrote that? Took me a solid 2 minutes of looking at it to sort that into English Mark W.

post #11 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I guess I'm weird. I think the stock seats are pretty darn comfortable, even more than the Mastercraft seats I have used. Those twisted Stitch seats look very nice, but too pricey for me too.

I want after-market seats too, but only to get side containment and to run a 5-point harnesses. I find the factory offering very comfy, way more than the seats in my TJ. I find most of the fixed (non-reclining) seats sit too high (straight up) for me on long drives. I don't lean back full gangster, but like a little bit of recline on long trips.

You should attend an off-road show to try the seats. Even many 4WheelParts stores have seats on display. My local store has Mastercraft seats in the showroom. Seats are a very personal and expensive investment, so its best to try it out first.
post #12 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I also am looking for these to get the 5-point-ability
As for trying them out...
Local shops? HAH- none for a WHILE, and certainly none that would have ANY of these- nearest 4wd store is Ohio- at least 7 hours drive. As for local shows- take a wild guess...

The joys of living in the boonies! I completely feel you on this, and I totally agree, BUT- reality vs. my dreams- I'd spend the price of the seat in gas just to test it out. Worst case, if I DID hate them, I could always slap the stocker back in and re-sell the sucker Mark W.

post #13 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Granite Guru

my corbeu seats were so low i had to raise them up, and im 6'3" im preaty sure you could be 7 foot and have head room in them

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #14 of 33 Old 07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
JKO Addict!

The plain ole Mastercraft Rubicon's are crap IMHO. Sorry... my honest feeling. I bought my JK in Nov'07 with them already installed and they have the fabric covers also.

I purchased the JK in CA, flew in, and drove it to TX. Didn't really have any problem with the seat, but recently they have been bothering me. I'm 6'2" and 260# 40" waist. Needless to say my weight impacts my back and I've had my share of accidents over the years.

NONETHELESS... the design of the Mastercraft is poor... it's like a hammock... NO lumbar support... curves your back the wrong way!

So... I would suggest the Mastercraft, but only with the options lumbar support. Or, luckily for me with the seat covers I was able to get a cheap lumbar support and install them under the seat covers. So, NOW, I am content... the seats are fine.

I believe I bought my lumbar support on Ebay maybe $11ea... similar to this one on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Sales-Po.../dp/B000AP0HY4
Then, after I buy them... in the garage waiting to be installed my wife brings home some lumbar supports from Walgreens... about $11 for two... same DAMN lumbar support, but I already paid plus postage.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #15 of 33 Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

For a daily driver I would actually step up to the Baja RS Mastercraft. The model fold forward for access to the back seat as well as reclines. I would think as a daily driver this would be the better seat.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #16 of 33 Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAX View Post
For a daily driver I would actually step up to the Baja RS Mastercraft. The model fold forward for access to the back seat as well as reclines. I would think as a daily driver this would be the better seat.
I would go a step farther and get the adjustable headrest. I considered doing so, but I doubt I would even recoup half the cost of that seat selling my current Mastercraft seats. I'm thinking I may just modify these seats incorporating an adjustable headrest with DVDs for the boys.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #17 of 33 Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I have to ask- were you drinking while, or before you wrote that? Took me a solid 2 minutes of looking at it to sort that into English Mark W.
Yeah I am not sure what was going on when I wrote that...I have fixed it for you though.

post #18 of 33 Old 07-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Rock God

I completely agree with others that are saying to test fit a seat before you buy. I understand your position though, not having any dealers near you. That makes it very tough.

I have MC Rubicons in one Jeep and Baja RSs in the other. I actually like my Rubicons better but I like the abilty to recline on longer trips.

Lumbar is totally up to the user as I don't have them or need them in either seat. It's a cheap option so if you use lumbar in other cars you probably want to consider it with your MC seat. I really recommend the seat heaters. Sometimes I just use it when my back is tweaked.

MC can make a wider seat if you're a bit broader in the beam and they also make a 'tall' version.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah- lacking/misplaced lumbar support is a HUGE part of why I'm ditching the OEM seats- I'm 26 and in decent shape (and a strong back), and those things kill me on long (or even moderate [1-2 hour]) trips! Optional lumbar support boxes are CHECKED

As for seat heaters, they're an expensive ($99-175, depending on brand) option, but being here in the frozen north (upstate NY), worth the $. I want to find out if they can be installed later, as it's summer now, and I'm still poor from the wedding.

VERY tempted to get either the Rubicons, or the TS Apex- my biggest concern is ordering a custom-look TS seat, and either hating it, or having it come out not how I like it. I'll be talking to them tomorrow to see if they can send me a pic of one similar, or somesuch.

Thanks for all the input! Mark W.

post #20 of 33 Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Seats of choice

I've owned a JK with the Twisted Stitch front and back seats

The JK to be built next will have a set of their Vortex seats,
http://www.twistedstitchinc.com/gall...jeepvortex.jpg
http://www.twistedstitchinc.com/prod...ry=seat&id=116

They recline and the back seats they have many options available.

They will build them to your needs as far as how you want them built.

Last edited by PUDDLZ; 07-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
post #21 of 33 Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Rock God

Puddlz, is right (for once... )
The Twisted Stitch seats are really nice. Give them a try, they're a great company to work with too.

Ben

Ben Hedrick
Projects:
2011 6.4L VVT SRT8 HEMI Rubicon

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep

Last edited by Ben Hedrick; 07-06-2010 at 06:29 PM.
post #22 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

Some Options
Attached Images

post #23 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

We also manufacture all of the brackets for the front and rear seats and our rear seats are short cushion for extra leg room.
post #24 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok, ok ya bastards Called Kenny at River Raider- order placed- Ben, I stole your style, except I got the wings (above the hip) black CF instead of the silver- bangin' Thanks, all! Twisted Stitch dude, can you get mine done extra nice? Mark W.

post #25 of 33 Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
JKowners Vendor

Twisted Stitch Seats are comfy and easy to keep clean. They are the ones we chose for our Victim Build...

Rock Krawler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode