"Milky" Differential Fluid? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
"Milky" Differential Fluid?

Does anyone have a photo of what "milky" differential fluid would look like? I went through some deep water, maybe 3ft deep, 150 yards long, and am wondering if I should be concerned. I have a 6" lift with 37" tires. Anyway, I checked the dipstick and stuck a clear pvc piece of tubing in there to check the clarity. Looks pretty clear, but how "milky" is "milky" before you are concerned?

Side note - I have D44's and the ARB diff covers. Anybody know for sure how many quarts front and rear you need? I may go ahead and do a change. Can't seem to find the instructions that came with the covers and its not listed on the ARB website.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go pick up a Carmel Frappe from McD's looks about the same

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 PM
JKO Addict!

similar to this. This one would be a blown headgasket/cracked head where water got into the oil of the engine

Any signs of water is bad. It is not a lubricant and separates the oil from where in the running gear. I think 3 quarts should cover both diffs, it did for my riddler covers. Not sure if the ARBs are more capacity, but 4 maximum quarts

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would change the fluid... can't do anything but help - and you will be sure.

(did someone mention to raise your breathers?)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

plan to raise the breathers, just haven't gotten to it. Only 1k on this fluid, seems like a waste to drain it. Based on that pic, I'd say mine is nowhere near that. Definitely still "clearish". thanks

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
post #6 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Granite Guru

just check the breathers to make sure they are still there period. after the first time i swam mine they fell off at the axle... o yah it was like a crappy frap from brokebucks

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #7 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Granite Guru

Found this in the front diff when I swapped to synthetics at 4k. No water crossings at all. That's from the factory - or rain/carwash - or ?

post #8 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
just check the breathers to make sure they are still there period.
I'm going with this one. Get some hose clamps on the axle side. You also should get longer hoses, even if you don't raise them 6" of lift have to stretch the heck out of them.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

After a week of owning the JK I took it through a water crossing up to about the bottom of the doors...like a month later I decided to check the thing just in case and she looked like this:

It was a dark grey/green color, metallic looking. Not really coffee color like others have experienced. Perhaps I only got a small amount of water in mine...however I'm not sure how a clean fluid from the factory looked to begin with...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandov99 View Post
After a week of owning the JK I took it through a water crossing up to about the bottom of the doors...like a month later I decided to check the thing just in case and she looked like this:

It was a dark grey/green color, metallic looking. Not really coffee color like others have experienced. Perhaps I only got a small amount of water in mine...however I'm not sure how a clean fluid from the factory looked to begin with...
Brownish.. like honey but darker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode