PSC Crusher corners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
PSC Crusher corners

I am having a hell of time with these things I have stripped out about eighty percent of the nutserts had no problems with them on fenders. What the hell is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nuts and bolt compressor or are you using a good installation tool?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am using the nut and bolt compressor. I cant get to Fastenal this weekend but I will have to pick up the tool and some more nutserts on monday or tuesday.

Quote:
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If its the nut & bolt tool - they SUCK BALLS! And the one PSC sends is the worst of them all.

Good tool makes the job 1,000 times easier, and with better results. Its worth waiting to get the right tool.

Post some pics of your job when done!
post #5 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
If its the nut & bolt tool - they SUCK BALLS! And the one PSC sends is the worst of them all.

Good tool makes the job 1,000 times easier, and with better results. Its worth waiting to get the right tool.

Post some pics of your job when done!
When using the PSC tool I ended up getting some heavier/thicker washers... I used two thicker washers with one thin washer in between. AND... between the washers I used lithium grease. Worked much better. I believe I replaced the bolt once also.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #6 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
... AND... between the washers I used lithium grease. Worked much better. I believe I replaced the bolt once also.
Grease is a good idea. Also, if you have the nutsert setting gun, its a good idea to lube the threads a little on every one.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think I am going to get some mileage out if this photo...

I won't install anything else nut-zert related until I get the right tool for the job and it isn't that POS one that comes with every accessory.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I used 3M marine pannel adhesive under my rockers, the nutserts were secoundary
post #9 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have a nutsert tool that i got from Harbor Freight, and even with that thing you really have to "want" it. It is hard as a sumbitch to get that initial squeeze. There are other tools you can get with long handles that would make it much easier, but they are a bit costly.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #10 of 24 Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just dropped some cash on a good one from fastenal. should be here tuesday. I still have to put the rocker armor on and I aint fucking with that little bolt peice o shit ever again.

I broke the one from harbor freight first try bent the handle 30 degrees thank god it wasnt one the jeep just a test chunk of steel.

Quote:
post #11 of 24 Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Granite Guru

What did the tool from Fastenal set you back?
post #12 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Granite Guru

No sh!t I feel your pain on this one!!

I only have one rocker panel installed on my jeep right now because I had a hell of a time getting those damn things on. I am waiting to buy the $650 tool I saw on youtube to finish the other side and do the rear corners and the front fenders. I figure this is a lot of money for a tool but I will use it a lot on this Jeep and who know's on how many others in the so cal area once I get it. I have never been so pissed off as I was that night putting that rocker panel protection on. It was such a nice piece, made by such a good company I knew the problem was me. That made it even worse because no matter what I did that night I couldn't make it much better. The right tools are worth every penny every time. Period.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdork View Post
I only have one rocker panel installed on my jeep right now because I had a hell of a time getting those damn things on. I am waiting to buy the $650 tool I saw on youtube to finish the other side and do the rear corners and the front fenders. I figure this is a lot of money for a tool but I will use it a lot on this Jeep and who know's on how many others in the so cal area once I get it. I have never been so pissed off as I was that night putting that rocker panel protection on. It was such a nice piece, made by such a good company I knew the problem was me. That made it even worse because no matter what I did that night I couldn't make it much better. The right tools are worth every penny every time. Period.
I wish I were closer! I'd install them for you at $650. I must agree my arms were a bit sore after installing my flares and I was gritting my teeth on the last one.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #14 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchytaco View Post
What did the tool from Fastenal set you back?
126 for the tool and I had to buy new nutserts at .81cents each. new hardware was pretty pricey.

Quote:
post #15 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
126 for the tool and I had to buy new nutserts at .81cents each. new hardware was pretty pricey.
How about a part number on the tool you bought and how is it working for you? Thanks
post #16 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I used 3M marine pannel adhesive under my rockers, the nutserts were secoundary
Shit Gil, do you go full retard on everything?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #17 of 24 Old 07-05-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdork View Post
How about a part number on the tool you bought and how is it working for you? Thanks
tool is being 2nd day aired to me. I will let you know how it works once it arrives.

Here is the link. I also purchased the appropriate head for the nutserts I will be using.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0126101

Quote:
post #18 of 24 Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Alright after finding out i was strait up fucked by Fastenal (no kiss no reach around) I have ordered a different tool. https://blindrivetsupply.3dcartstore...604_p_823.html and head for it https://blindrivetsupply.3dcartstore...18_p_1036.html.

Fastenal charged me 126 dollars for a tool that has an MSRP of 75$ and it was about as usefull as the one from harbor freight. After getting the info to ship it back because Fastenal will not price match, and having a lengthy conversation with the guy from blind rivet supply this is the only tool that will actually crush this size nutsert properly. The tool normally goes for 300$ but he sales it for 137$.

Again FUCK Fastenal.

Quote:
post #19 of 24 Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Wheeler

I used a pneumatic nutsert gun for my armor and fenders and it works like a champ. It was borrowed but had it not been able to come live at my house I would have forked out the 600 dollars. It takes a little finesse to not over tighten them with the air tool.
One of the other things I did was take some longer hex bolts that were not full length threads and cut the heads off and filed a rounded point onto it. Most of mine where 3 1/2" bolts. I screwed these into the nutserts and could use them to slide the parts up on while tightening the rest of the hardware. There were a couple nutserts where they were pulled in one direction or the other sightly and in that case I would screw the stud in and give a little whack to persuade it in the right direction.

Last edited by jeepin_jay; 07-09-2010 at 11:24 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

knyland, that tool will make life much easier on you.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #21 of 24 Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks cory its just frustrating dealing with the F'n nutserts. Getting the fucked up ones out is a giant pain in the ass. I have some body work to do this weekend. hopfully i remember how to weld a patch panel.

Dont worry I will take pics. We will see how this new hobart 140 does.

Quote:

Last edited by knyland; 07-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
V8 dreams

did you ever get that tool to work for ya? i hate these fuckin things and for some reason never find these threads about how much dick nutserts suck until i've started something i cant finish
post #23 of 24 Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

150.00 for the tool from Snap on!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #24 of 24 Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

FYI, i really like nut certs. I think they work better than well nuts. Granted, well nuts are way easier to install, but i find nut certs hold better. The key to setting the nut certs is to crush them all the way. You have to squeeze those bitches til they wont crush no moe.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode