And the other project...Monstaliner!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

And the other project...Monstaliner!!!

So I started on the ol' Monstaliner project. Let's get this ball a-rolling!

Here's the baby all tore apart and tidied up with some MEK. Nice...Nothing like taking a brand new 2010 vehicle and completely dismantling it. That's what you call...SMART.

Ooops! Looks like we ran into a problem with the driver side rear seatbelt! Apparently the factory wanted to partially strip my bolt on this side...I helped them finish it as I got about 1 1/2 turns before there was nothing left. Thanks JEEP! I swear my Wrangler was built the Monday after St. Patrick's Day weekend. Welp, I don't use the rear seat anyways, and rather than have to run to the store and pick up the proper tools and waste a couple of days while I really just want to put the damn thing back together......I mangled my factory seatbelt and pulled out the trusty Sawzaw to hack the bolt. Fixed that Jeep right up. Good luck to me if I ever decide to get it out of there!

This is where you realize you're committed to this idea. You've just used a scuff pad on your whole interior. Congratulations.

Taped off and ready for the Monstaliner tomorrow! I'll be keeping you all updated on the next mistakes I make! Until then, enjoy!

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...

Last edited by Jagrmaister; 07-02-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Granite Guru

looks great, I did mine last week seemed like it took forever to cut in!!!The roll out went pretty quick though.THE BIGGEST PAIN was taking the bolts under the rear seat out(do they really need to be that tight).took about 3 hours or so to be ready for second coat, and its where you can really start to see it all come together.Its been about a week now and could not be happier w the product,do as the instructions say and you should be happy with the results!!! Good luck!
post #3 of 21 Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good job! Aint much a sawzall and some duct tape wont fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Alright, she's all back together finally. Went downtown yesterday to the dog beach instead of putting the Jeep back together. Figured it could use the extra cure time anyways. Here's the finished pics, everything back in...except carpet.

Here's what the actual texture looks like rolled. It's pretty sweet. Word to the wise, though, give yourself plenty of time for that second coat. I was in a rush as I had to apply it before I went to work, so I wasn't really able to take the time to make sure boogers weren't in the second coat. I'd recommend straining it on the second application. It still came out fine, just a couple rough boogs that can just be cut or smoothed by either fingernail or blade...

A peek through the back straps. Also decided to ditch both rear belts, as I never have the rear seat in anyways. Only dogs are passengers now...

TADA! Now even the dog's checking out the Jeep. Great product. Love the look personally. And after only a couple days of cure time it seems like it's going to be very durable as I dropped a few tools while putting it back together and it held up fine. Just the one good tip is strain the stuff before applying the second coat and it'll come out much smoother than mine. I think these pics show a truer finish to the Monstaliner than other pics I've seen. A lot of guys' pics come out super glossy. These were taken in the sun, and very little sheen comes off the product. All in all, it just looks like it's meant to be in the Jeep, honestly. Very happy I decided to do it, and now it'll be super easy to wash it out when need be.

post #5 of 21 Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That turned out really good. Great looking Jeep man.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Looks great! good call on the straining of the second coat! I know what you mean most of my posted pics looked glossy but its not at all! great job!!
post #7 of 21 Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

Wow! That looks great. How much Monstaliner did you end up using? Also, what do you mean by straining before the second coat? Do small clumps develop in the gallon once mixed?
post #8 of 21 Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

great job man! looks awesome.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Any worry about some weird chemical residue hurting the dogs? Does anything rub off after it cures? I wanna do this asap.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejk09 View Post
Wow! That looks great. How much Monstaliner did you end up using? Also, what do you mean by straining before the second coat? Do small clumps develop in the gallon once mixed?
You can go to any paint store and find paint strainer bags. Because this product uses a catalyst, over the 10 hour pot life this product will change from when you first began...The small clumps are the same that form once you use a gallon of paint, meaning as you pop off the lid, poor some out, the sides of the can will dry, when you mix it with a stir stick you will get the residuals that have already begun to dry...i.e. boogers in your paint. I also did mine on a 90*+ day just because I had to get it back together so I was expecting more boogers. Just strain it, and you won't have that problem. It's not a problem anyways, as you can pick them off once it's set up for a day or so.

I used all but about a finger's worth or so in the gallon pot on a 2dr. That was two coats on the whole tub, the inside of the tailgate door, and the lip that the hard top rests. Remember though, this is on a super hot and humid day, so there was quite a bit wasted along the side of my bucket (would recommend using a paint tray as they suggest) and I was very methodical in making sure every last inch had coverage. I know the 4dr guys say they get away with one gallon.

I'm also in no way worried about this stuff hurting the dogs. I was climbing all in the Jeep putting it back together after a day and a half of cure and it wasn't rubbing off or anything. They say light duty use after 3 days, and full use after it's fully cured at 7 days. It hasn't been a week, so the dogs have yet to be in it. I was actually going to just put the two pieces of carpet that are on the rear floor back in just for the dogs comfort, though.

This stuff gets super durable. After a day and a half I was able to drop wrenches and everything else on the tub (by accident) without anything happening to it. The CB when mounted on the driver side trans tunnel (via center console Torx bolt) actually scraped along the side of the Monstaliner as I twisted and turned it to get it to fit. This caused only a white line to appear...which then rubbed off. No harm done. I'm pretty confident in the fact this stuff is going to last at this point. Best part is, this stuff cost me $130. I did have to go buy some MEK ($20), an extra brush for the second coat as the first coat left the provided brush toasted ($3), and some latex gloves ($.50). That's a fraction of the cost of having someone spray-in...and in my opinion, looks just as good. As long as you have the time to do it yourself, it's a great product. We'll see how it holds up to the dogs and such over the next couple months.

post #11 of 21 Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Nice write-up.....very detailed. The product looks great. No doubt this stuff is going to hold up over time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 21 Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

Is the Monstaliner itself textured or is the texture from the roller? Do you think it would it be possible to use a smooth brush/roller in order to get no texture once it is applied?
post #13 of 21 Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejk09 View Post
Is the Monstaliner itself textured or is the texture from the roller? Do you think it would it be possible to use a smooth brush/roller in order to get no texture once it is applied?
Being a roll-on product, the texture will depend on your application of it. I suppose you could get a smoother texture than mine if you used a different roller sleeve. The smoothest texture would probably come from spraying it, though.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Granite Guru

save a little $

So after reading Squirrel Killers write up on monstaliner, and this thread, I decided to do monstaliner. Just before hitting the pay button on their website I decided to google "monstaliner coupon code" and came accross this:
http://www.monstaliner.com/jeepforum_promo.htm

It will get you free shipping and a free quart of chassis saver.

and for those who are concerned, I did PM the monstaliner guy and mention that I heard about the product on JKOwners forum. Maybe he should become a vendor on here
post #15 of 21 Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTHRUU View Post
So after reading Squirrel Killers write up on monstaliner, and this thread, I decided to do monstaliner. Just before hitting the pay button on their website I decided to google "monstaliner coupon code" and came accross this:
http://www.monstaliner.com/jeepforum_promo.htm

It will get you free shipping and a free quart of chassis saver.
I actually got the free s&h and quart of chassis saver when I ordered mine. They must've extended the special or they just keep flipping it to the next month...either way, good deal! Not sure what the hell I'm going to do with the quart can of chassis saver, but the free shipping was definitely a plus.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=Jagrmaister;479464]INot sure what the hell I'm going to do with the quart can of chassis saverQUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. thought about putting it under the monstaliner as an extra line of defense. maybe leave it on the hood of the next rusted out jeep I see in a parking lot
post #17 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

update

So after Jagr and Squirrel killer https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29462

I decided to go with monstaliner. I am really pleased with the results. There are just 2 things I will add to the prior threads.
1. I decided to order 2 gallons for a 4 door. After finishing the first gallon it looked "good enough" but there were some areas that I was not completely happy with. In my opinion about 1 1/4 gallon is needed for best results in a 4 door.
2. I had some mixed product sitting in the sun while bs'ing with a buddy. I used this as a final coat in some heavy traffic areas... after sitting in the sun the consistency had changed and the cured product was much more shiney than the rest so it doesn't look quite right. I have left over un mixed so I can fix it in the future. I just wanted to point out to any future Monsatliner's that the sun will mess with it during application (like the directions mention--Yes I'm a dumb ass )
post #18 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Rock God

Any body try to grind that shit they put on the floor ( black glue shit) with a flapper wheel? Would really clean up the look. Nice job, like cutting up new shit too.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Granite Guru

I used a 2-21/2 flexible putty knife and a hammer ! sucked but came off pretty quickly and easily!I think a flapper wheel may make one hell of a mess inside and on oneself! It may be good to clean up after one chips it off?The monsterliner pretty much covers up what is left after chipping

http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/a.../monsterliner/
post #20 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

Awesome. Do you have a hardtop? If so, does it still sit well with the Monstaliner application on the lip (where the hardtop sits)?
post #21 of 21 Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

Just got done with my first layer of Monstaliner. I laid it on pretty thick. I hope I have enough left for all of the second coat. I'll try to get a picture of it and report more info tomorrow. But I chiseled out the black barrier material as well. I then used a wire grind wheel on the remaining remnants of the black barrier. Then took a cordless drill and a wire brush bit and scruffed the whole tub and walls. The bedliner starts to get thick and sticky after 2-3 hours of applying so use gloves. I will not be able to get my hands clean for a month.

Second layer did not take nearly as long. I thought I laid the bedliner on pretty thick and still had some left over. 1 gal can will be plenty to do the job on a 4 door.

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!

Last edited by jeepRcreepR; 12-22-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode