Upgrading a stock 2010 Rubicon (2 dr) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Question Upgrading a stock 2010 Rubicon (2 dr)

The last jeep I had was a CJ5 20 years ago, so...

Having just purchased a new 2-dr Rubicon I am looking at doing some basic upgrades, and am looking for advice on the ORDER in which to do things (since I can't afford to do everything at once).

Some say first order is a suspension lift for clearance and to make room for larger tires, some say first put on rock rails and new bumpers. It seems to me that if I put on rails and bumpers without doing a lift things are gonna be dragging. If I do a lift first how do I decide how much lift (I'm looking for the minimum lift necessary to support 35" tires and a good bumper & winch.)

Any recommendations on the order in which to spend for upgrades, lift size, etc.?

All advice appreciated.

Last edited by Midman; 07-02-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midman View Post
The last jeep I had was a CJ5 20 years ago, so...

Having just purchased a new 2-dr Rubicon I am looking at doing some basic upgrades, and am looking for advice on the ORDER in which to do things (since I can't afford to do everything at once).

Some say first order is a suspension lift for clearance and to make room for larger tires, some say first put on rock rails and new bumpers. It seems to me that if I put on rails and bumpers without doing a lift things are gonna be dragging. If I do a lift first how do I decide how much lift (I'm looking for the minimum lift necessary to support 35" tires and a good bumper & winch.)

Any recommendations on the order in which to spend for upgrades, lift size, etc.?

All advice appreciated.
I would start with the basic protection first then work your way from there,

Sliders & skids, save the bumpers and lift till everything is ready for the next step of the build then move forward,

As far as lifts and bumpers, there are alot of great companies that make both so take the time and do your homework, its what YOU want.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Rock God

Hey Midman, I owned one of those CJ-5s twenty years ago as well, and I just bought a 2010 two door Rubicon a few weeks ago. My Rubicon is in the shop right now getting its first mods done.

From what I have been able to gather there are just a few weaknesses on the current JK that can use improvement.

1. The evap canister is vulnerable and puts your Jeep in limp home mode if it is damaged.
2. The front axle tube is prone to bending, and the steering knuckle can also be bent easily.
3. The ball joints will fail quickly. My friend just replaced his lower ball joints with only 7000 miles on his Rubicon.
4. The 1/2 circle style c-clip on the front axle u-joint will work its way off, then the cap will come off, the u-joint will bind, and the ears on the axle will break.

If money is limited I would start with an evap canister relocation bracket, or if you prefer, an evap canister skid plate. Once that is done I would go with a 2.5" to 3" lift, and step up to the 35" tires. Your Jeep is geared too tall for the 32" tires it has now, so you'll definitely need to re-gear the differentials when you get 35" tires. At that point I would make the necessary front axle improvements. You can either gusset the front axle housing with one of several kits that are available, or you can replace the housing with a Dynatrac housing. I would save the bumper and rocker panel guards for last. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. Have fun with that new Jeep!

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

pretty much what they said...I would go with the Evap Skid Plate if I had to do it over again ( I purchased the relocation kit).

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Wheeler

interesting info, i have the same rubi (2dr standard).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
pretty much what they said...I would go with the Evap Skid Plate if I had to do it over again ( I purchased the relocation kit).
Have you had problems with the relocation?

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode