Painting the grille today - question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Painting the grille today - question

I'm planning to sand it with 600 grit to knock the shine off.

Then I'll spray it with Duplicolor Bedliner, then clear.

Sound like a good plan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I'm planning to sand it with 600 grit to knock the shine off.

Then I'll spray it with Duplicolor Bedliner, then clear.

Sound like a good plan?
Just hit it with a red scotchbrite you could even go as course as 180. The liner will cover

|
|
post #3 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Just hit it with a red scotchbrite you could even go as course as 180. The liner will cover
I would go 180/200, the bedliner likes a "tooth" to grab on to. if you can get an automotive clear it will work better as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I never cleared over mine, should i? Whats the advantages?

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #5 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

no need to clear coat it. i used a red 3m scuff and cleaned it then put about 2-3 coats o duplicolor. looks good
post #6 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wouldn't clear it.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #7 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I started hitting it with 320 and said "fuck that". Got some 180 grit and it took me an hour to scuff it up. I put 2 coats on the inside and 4 on the outside.

Jeepersheart told me that he put clear on his which is why I was going to do that. But I think it will be harder to touch up so I'm not going to do it. Plus I'm impatient and want to get it back on the JK tomorrow.

I'll post pics in the morning!

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 25 Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I never cleared over mine, should i? Whats the advantages?

corey d
keep it from getting chalky/fading and evens out the sheen.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Some shots of the black grille

, Granite,
post #10 of 25 Old 07-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Granite Guru

Looks great! I would love to do this to mine I just havent grown a pair yet to take off, scuff and paint on my new jeep.

2008 RUBICON UNLIMITED
Teraflex BB : VSS Shocks : PSC Evap Skid : FlashPak
post #11 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Some shots of the black grille

nice I did mine about a month a go, used 4 coats of primer and 6 coats of dupi color, black on charcoal gray jeep. looks good but yours shows up great.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #12 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not sure it looks good on every color JK, but it sure looks great on yellow- especially with black wheels. Nice job.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #13 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I did mine about two years ago, used red scotch brite and 4 coats of duplicolor rattle can... After this winter I noticed it's looking faded and there are a few bubbles popping up. Gonna have to tear it down, re-sand and respray I guess

post #14 of 25 Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Just don't use the Rustoluem bedliner, I've had about four cans of them. For painting non-important things (skids, sliders, etc). Every damn can I've had quits shooting when vertical and you have to hold it upside-down and be on your head to get successful spray out of it...screw that! However I'd consider rolling it onto the grille, it comes in paint cans...I've rolled a car in primer before, it can workout awesome if you take your time. Durable as hell too

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 25 Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Wheeler

if you wanted to clear it but keep the flat black duplicolor makes a flat clear which is what im going to do mine with
post #16 of 25 Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

Wow...I gotta say that looks really good. Half temped to do mine. I really like how the Sahara Tan (my color) is offset by the black trim. Can't wait to go all black rims.

Again, nice work.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Not sure it looks good on every color JK, but it sure looks great on yellow- especially with black wheels. Nice job.

By itself it can look out of place. But with the right accents Id say it would look sweet on most colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
I did mine about two years ago, used red scotch brite and 4 coats of duplicolor rattle can... After this winter I noticed it's looking faded and there are a few bubbles popping up. Gonna have to tear it down, re-sand and respray I guess
Best part about it, easy and cheap fix. Even if you have to do it all over again. Time is money and it can be a PITA but easy to touch up. I did my wheels and if I need to touch em up or even redo it once a year Im happy. I dont mind workin on the jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
Wow...I gotta say that looks really good. Half temped to do mine. I really like how the Sahara Tan (my color) is offset by the black trim. Can't wait to go all black rims.

Again, nice work.
Def get some pics. I dig that sahara tan reaaal bad. Love it with the black accents. Saw one with a trektop. Giggity

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #18 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

With my recently installed AEV front bumper...
Attached Images

post #19 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Just don't use the Rustoluem bedliner, I've had about four cans of them. For painting non-important things (skids, sliders, etc). Every damn can I've had quits shooting when vertical and you have to hold it upside-down and be on your head to get successful spray out of it...screw that! However I'd consider rolling it onto the grille, it comes in paint cans...I've rolled a car in primer before, it can workout awesome if you take your time. Durable as hell too
I just had that problem with the cans the other day painting my front bumper, f'n annoying!

I have found with the rustoleum that a bit of clear helps keep it from staining from mud. Around where I live we have that thick red mud and it is a bitch to clean. (yes..I am one of those weird people that actually clean my jeep) if you dont mind the dirt and water stains then I wouldnt bother clear coating
post #20 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I took an even simpler route than the rest of you guys. And it'll probably be temporary, but looks great for now.

I used about a can and a half of black Plasti-Dip. About $6/can at Lowe's and a trick I learned in the VW scene. Turned out pretty nice I think. And the nice thing is when you need to redo it, or get tired of it, just peel/pressure wash it off.

And no, those aren't chips. They're bugs. Summer here in NTX sucks ballz!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
I took an even simpler route than the rest of you guys. And it'll probably be temporary, but looks great for now.

I used about a can and a half of black Plasti-Dip. About $6/can at Lowe's and a trick I learned in the VW scene. Turned out pretty nice I think. And the nice thing is when you need to redo it, or get tired of it, just peel/pressure wash it off.

And no, those aren't chips. They're bugs. Summer here in NTX sucks ballz!

Did y'all get a volume discount on AEV hoods? It looked like an AEV hood showcase at the last JK meet! Nice. I think if I feel up to it, mine will get painted in September when it cools off a bit.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #22 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
Did y'all get a volume discount on AEV hoods? It looked like an AEV hood showcase at the last JK meet! Nice. I think if I feel up to it, mine will get painted in September when it cools off a bit.
No, actually, my AEV hood only cost me about $250 out of pocket. Insurance paid the rest. I had about $7k worth of hail damage from that first big stom in April that swept through. We had some big ass hail and about 90 mph winds a little after midnight. My Jeep looked like a golf ball for nearly 2 months. There's no way I'd have paid that much for one on my own.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Warning! Thread hijack underway!

Well, as my friend the Dentwright the paintless dent repair guy says: HAIL YES! Guess I will park my jeep at DFW next time hail rolls through Dallas.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock

Last edited by jocrazy0; 08-05-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add text
post #24 of 25 Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Wheeler

Talking

I did mine a while ago on deep water blue. I've gotten nothing but compliments on it. I bought a second grill used off of a metallic green JK, sanded it down with coarse sand paper, primed and bedlined. 2 coats of each.. And no clear coat. It's held up really well. Best part is, I hung my original blue JK grill on the wall in my "man den" (after washing off the dead bugs and picking wasp carcasses out of the mesh I installed behind it).
post #25 of 25 Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 AM
JKO Addict!

looked better when it was yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode