someone talk me out of this... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

someone talk me out of this...

So was going to buy a snorkel, but instead got the Superchips programmer and a new front bumper.

Anyhow getting to go the Jeep Jamboree in WV and was reading the documentation, it said something like "spotters" will help you disconnect your airbox. This got me thinking since I have the CAI installed on mine what if I removed the filter then rigged up a homemade extension which turns up towards the hood, is capped off with something, holes drilled on the sides and then covered with this fancy "water shedding" pre-filter I picked up from K&N.

Question, do you think I could A. Rig this up B. Would it draw enough air, or am I setting myself up for failure.

Ok ..... talk me out of it

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Rock God

You don't need a damn snorkel. Leave them shits alone.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #3 of 23 Old 07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

No idea what your fab skills are like- so dunno. Personally when getting ready for a trip, I tend to try and not do too much "What if I decided to this....engineering". Many times it just adds to the anxiety and prep time.

I would run the CAI with a pre-filter and keep an eye on it or try to avoid the water as much as possible. Cross the water slowly as possible too.

JMO. Good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-01-2010, 11:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
No idea what your fab skills are like- so dunno. Personally when getting ready for a trip, I tend to try and not do too much "What if I decided to this....engineering". Many times it just adds to the anxiety and prep time.

I would run the CAI with a pre-filter and keep an eye on it or try to avoid the water as much as possible. Cross the water slowly as possible too.

JMO. Good luck.
Guys,

I've gotta admit, I can't wait to try Fordyce with a lot of other experienced pals here on JKO, one day. Now, maybe it is because I have A LOT of payments left on my rig, that at the very same time, thinking about crossing water has me absolutely white-knuckle, scared, about driving slow, fast, angled, straight, sideways, upwards, downwards, or anywhere in between in water...

In fact, I may have to start a new thread about how damn scared I am of just that very thing!!!!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Last edited by cruzcode; 07-01-2010 at 11:30 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

spotters will help you disconnect your airbox? WTF!

u sure they didn't mean sway bar? that sounds more like what they should be doing... lol
post #6 of 23 Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

u sure they didn't mean sway bar? that sounds more like what they should be doing... lol
X2

LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 23 Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

UMMMM!!!! Don't get it
post #8 of 23 Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Guys,

I've gotta admit, I can't wait to try Fordyce with a lot of other experienced pals here on JKO, one day. Now, maybe it is because I have A LOT of payments left on my rig, that at the very same time, thinking about crossing water has me absolutely white-knuckle, scared, about driving slow, fast, angled, straight, sideways, upwards, downwards, or anywhere in between in water...

In fact, I may have to start a new thread about how damn scared I am of just that very thing!!!!

RC
What ever happened to the old school method. Drape a tarp or canvas over the front of your vehicle and push through at a steady pace. The tarp/canvas will push the water away from the front of your vehicle around the sides. As long as you keep a steady pace foreward your air box will be fine, and as long as your crossing doesnt take 10 mnutes you are at no risk of overheating.

I wish I had a pic as I have used this metod many times and has worked well every time.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-03-2010, 11:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
What ever happened to the old school method. Drape a tarp or canvas over the front of your vehicle and push through at a steady pace. The tarp/canvas will push the water away from the front of your vehicle around the sides. As long as you keep a steady pace foreward your air box will be fine, and as long as your crossing doesnt take 10 mnutes you are at no risk of overheating.

I wish I had a pic as I have used this method many times and has worked well every time.
That seems like a really clever approach. Here are my biggest two questions:

1) Can't you hydro-lock the engine by having water seep back up through the exhaust into the cylinders???

2) How in the F*** can you tell how deep it is? To me, for my thinking, it's too late to turn back once your rig falls off of a shelf in a river-bed, and the floats down the river tumbling end over end.

Thoughts?

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #10 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

1) Can't you hydro-lock the engine by having water seep back up through the exhaust into the cylinders???
1. Water shouldn't come back up the tail pipe into the heads if you stay steady on the throttle, as long as you keep exhaust pressure built up it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
2) How in the F*** can you tell how deep it is? To me, for my thinking, it's too late to turn back once your rig falls off of a shelf in a river-bed, and the floats down the river tumbling end over end.
2. Go second.

post #11 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
2. Go second.
X2 or grow some cojones
post #12 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

unless its some kind of paid event i cant imagine spotters doing anything but telling you which way to go. and sometimes they even mess that up.i get what your saying about the tube, it would prob help if water was splashed on the intake, it wouldnt make a difference if ti was submerged

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
unless its some kind of paid event i cant imagine spotters doing anything but telling you which way to go. a
Jeep Jamboree certainly is NOT FREE, personally I think most of them are a RIPOFF!!! LIke NJ Pine Barrons they charge you $275 PER PERSON, thats for each passenger also, thats INSANE!!!!! They take you on PUBLIC trails that are FREE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #14 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

didnt pay attention to that part, for 275 they better wash the jeep when your done wheeling

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #15 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

i'd put a block of wood to prop the hood up and turn the CAI so it pointed as upward as possible lol

but i wouldn't have a CAI to begin with...BUT!...thats what i'd do. Ghetto, but a non-hydrolocked ghetto rig!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't really understand your plan. So I say don't do it.
Disconnecting your swaybars on the front sounds more like what was meant to me also. I have never seen anybody do anything with another Jeeps airbox.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No crap fellas...they said due to water crossings (which are possible) they will help you disconnect your airbox....(wtf? No idea).

Anyhow, heres what I did..... I didnt make my original plan; however I made a cover for the CAI out of tin, basically I drilled a hole through the metal shroud of the CAI and placed a bolt through it then fab'ed out a cover from tin with a hole though it.... put my tin cover over the bolt applied a wingnut and away I go.

I know this won't stop the water but it will at least stop the damn mud from going onto my filter which the damn engine fan kicks up. I figure put the prefilter on apply my homemade cover on and stay the heck out of deep water

Also the idea with the canvas sounds like a good idea....thanks.

"It's inhabitants are as the man once said all the pimps, whores and sons of bitches by which he meant everybody" J. Steinbeck

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift/Shocks, 35X12.50's, Black Rock Wheels, TeraFlex Steering Stabalizer, 4.88 gears, aFe CAI, aFe throttle body spacer. Finish Line West Gen 4.0 rear bumper, River Raider Evap Skid, Superchips-tuned. Smittybuilt SRC Front Bumper.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Maybe their plan is to:

#1. Disconnect the air-boxes.
#2. Plug the air intake tubes with great big corks.
#3. Push everyone across the streams.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #19 of 23 Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here it is from the from the web site...

"We may have water crossings and water holes. Many of these crossings and holes offer a bypass. It is very important to watch and listern to your trail guide. Please be sure your air intake is disconnected. Your trail guide can help you with this if needed."

post #20 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad529 View Post
Here it is from the from the web site...

"We may have water crossings and water holes. Many of these crossings and holes offer a bypass. It is very important to watch and listern to your trail guide. Please be sure your air intake is disconnected. Your trail guide can help you with this if needed."
That's for those Jeep drivers that REALLY have no fucking idea what an airbox is.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #21 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Twisted...sounds like maybe you are right!

I just wanted to take the family along for something different, and hell yes it's expensive. Of course I also get to take the Heep into Snowshoe which is not open to OHV during the rest of the year, so thats how I'm making myself feel better. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If it wasnt 275 I would go, would be cool to wheel on a ski mountain.

Are there any places to wheel in WV? I applied to some jobs there with VZ.

do you have the stock airbox still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #23 of 23 Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad529 View Post
and was reading the documentation, it said something like "spotters" will help you disconnect your airbox.
Some old school stuff here! You new Jeepers don't know how good you have it now .

Older model jeeps sucked in air from behind the headlights so were very prone to problems in deep water. When I was younger, I remember guys disconnecting the the air intake tube and stuffing it back at a higher location when crossing water. This is probably what they are talking about.

Your JKs and TJs that suck air from up under the hood should be fine as long as you take it easy.

I agree with everyone else about the CAI, keep them OFF your JKs. Go back to your factory box if you still have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode