Fender Chop - Will I regret it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fender Chop - Will I regret it?

I'm considering chopping the fenders tomorrow but with the recent rains I'm beginning to debate this being a good idea.

As of now my tires hang out there a little and it throws shit all over the Jeep. I had to rinse it the other day after driving down the feeder road and through a construction zone. Mud everywhere.

Should I cut em off or just leave em there?

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I throw a little more mud than I used to, you will toss more water

. I personally think you will regret it if it is for your unlimited. It was the PERFECT mod for my 35s and 2.5" coil spacers. Seeing you have 33s, you may get "tiny wheel syndrome" from chopping the flares. it really opens the look of the Jeep.

If it is for the 2dr on 35s. CHOP THOSE FLARES!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I just got back from the post office. I had a guy yell at me cause he was walking and I threw a huge rooster-tail all over him. Up to you in terms of what you can live with, but if you drive the JK a lot- you might want to reconsider it.

Any time it rains- my Jeep is filthy by the time it dries. Looks really bad imo- so I wash it a lot.

You could always do a wide chop but imo- it sometimes looks better to just leave it alone. Some of the wide chops I've seen look okay- but others for some reason just look....wrong. Maybe due to tire size/ tire width/ front bumper choice- idk.

FWIW- Mine are chopped down pretty good- maybe 3" or so is all I have left.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

It is for the 2 door and I drive the shit out of it. I've put almost 3000 miles on it in the last 31 days.

If I chop them it's going to be gnarly. I like the people at work gawking at how I got this thing a couple months ago and I take a sawzall to something every weekend. Ha ha!

I'm shooting for something like PlanMan's but I cant find a pic. Similar to yours Stub. I wash it quite a bit, I just don't want it to impair driveability in the rain. If this was last summer I would have never thought of that.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #5 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

For the most part- the rooster-tails are in-line with the sides of the Jeep. It only throws water/ mud on the windshield when I am turning. But even turning at slow speed, it comes down on the windshield.

The funny/ embarrassing thing is driving along side of someone as they gawk at the four fountains spitting up into the air (especially the fronts). Add some lights and it would likely look like a Vegas attraction.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

cut em..

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Ipe
Rock God

I chopped mine and don't regret it a bit. That said I didn't chop anywhere near as much as Goody did. I ran a 1/2" wide painters tape along the edge of the flare directly below the transitional curve and then cut directly below that. That leaves a standard width flare but one with a lot more clearance underneath.

Before:

After:

post #8 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
I chopped mine and don't regret it a bit. That said I didn't chop anywhere near as much as Goody did. I ran a 1/2" wide painters tape along the edge of the flare directly below the transitional curve and then cut directly below that. That leaves a standard width flare but one with a lot more clearance underneath.
Wow man I really like how that looks! Thank you for sharing that! I think I'll start here!

I wonder if anyone sells an electric body saw? I have a compressor but it is way too loud to use at the current residence.

Keeping Austin Weird

Last edited by MarcusRTJ; 07-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
post #9 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ View Post
Wow man I really like how that looks! Thank you for sharing that! I think I'll start here!

I wonder if anyone sells an electric body saw? I have a compressor but it is way too loud to use at the current residence.
we used an electric grinder with a cutting disc on it for mine

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

That does look good! I think I might go for it.

Question- did you leave the fenders mounted when you cut them?
post #11 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
we used an electric grinder with a cutting disc on it for mine
Just got my 4" grinder last night...GOOD IDEA!

Keeping Austin Weird
post #12 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

Cut em, just be prepared to want bigger tires after you do. I had 35's on mine with 3" of lift, and after I cut the flares, the tires looked tiny. 37's filled in the gap nicely though.

And yes, you will throw water and mud everywhere. Invest in a decent set of seat covers if you haven't already. It's much easier to clean neoprene than it is to clean the oem seat fabric.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #13 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

You may want to check out this thread. Thanks to Rotorhead for starting it and all the pics and info he provided. My JK is pictured on page 3, the silver 2DR. I have the factory rubi tires and I think it looks good. I drive my JK everyday, 60 miles a day, and have no issues with the fenders or water spray. I am so glad I did this project.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3362
post #14 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cut'em
post #15 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
That does look good! I think I might go for it.

Question- did you leave the fenders mounted when you cut them?

Thanks, glad you guys like 'em.

I used a electric jig saw with Bosch TB101 blades which leave a very smooth edge. In some places a sawzall was used with a longer blade to cut the plastic base supports at the same time. For the most part I cut them with the flares on the Jeep. The rears are easy, the fronts require much more care, especially around the marker lights and where the flare meets the grille. I used a manual coping saw here and did have to partially remove the flare to make these tight curves. I cut the inner liners using a bandsaw but a jig saw or sawzall will work here too if you don't have a large bandsaw at your disposal.

In the places on the flare where the cut wasn't smooth (places I had to use the sawzall or coping saw) I used a woodworking file to smooth out the edge.

Good luck, can't wait to see the end results.

post #16 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #17 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I used a razor knife to cut mine. The flares on mine are off a friends unlimited. I cut them before i put them on.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #18 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did mine the other day, makes it look BADASS, that's one word not two together,lol.
Do not regret it at all

Poison Spyder BFH w/ TRail Stinger,Teraflex Budget Boost,Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers,Warn M8000,AEM Cold Air Intake,DIY Fender chop
Pro Comp Wheels
Pro Comp Extreme All Terrain tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaxim View Post
I won't even SQUINT, WHICH IS SAD WHEN I'm F-ING ASIAN!

Last edited by Greenfeet; 07-08-2010 at 06:06 PM.
post #19 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
VKS Fab

x2 Do it!!

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #20 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Before:

After:

Did you cut at the bottom edge of the tape? I think I'm going to do this for starters and see how I like it!

Keeping Austin Weird
post #21 of 69 Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'd cut them. You can always find a set of stock flares in the free section at times or real cheap >$50 in the for sale section.

Here's mine. I cut mine wide to I still have some tire coverage, about as much as you can have with 3.5" back spaced wheels and 12.5" wide tires.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #22 of 69 Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a set of stock flares in storage (picked up from Sasquatch a couple years ago). Been trying to decide whether to cut those (since they are just laying there), or cut my original ones since they are so scratched up.
post #23 of 69 Old 07-02-2010, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Cut them!!! I like my cheap jigsaw with a wood blade easy to control and doesn't heat up the plastic. Painters tape for making your lines just the way you want.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 07-02-2010 at 07:34 AM.
post #24 of 69 Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Before:

After:

I think this is the best looking chop I've seen, very nice!! I still want max tire cover, so this is perfect. I don't really need the space for the tires, but it looks badass.

LJ Rubicon
post #25 of 69 Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru

its a jeep... Cut 'em, get her dirty, and smile when you park next to a BMW

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode