Why is my D60 pumping oil out the breather? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Why is my D60 pumping oil out the breather?

I have a currie d60 in the front. Whenever the hubs are locked it leaks oil out the breather hose. I'm guessing maybe when it was installed they put a little too much oil up front and that if I just drive around with the hubs locked for a while all the extra will eventually come out? WTF? Thanks.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Rock God

I would pull the fill plug out and see if it was over filled. If so let it drain out till it stops and put the plug back in. It will make more of a mess letting it come out the breather.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm new with currie! What I have read about this problem the past couple of days: I share this

- oil get too hot
- oil foams and spews
- too short vent hose
- o-ring or air leak in the differential

These were the main culprits

BTW what brand, weight of oil you running? What carrier you running..

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by andrelopez99; 06-29-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
I would pull the fill plug out and see if it was over filled. If so let it drain out till it stops and put the plug back in. It will make more of a mess letting it come out the breather.
I'll try this tomorrow.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
post #5 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
I'm new with currie! What I have read about this problem the past couple of days: I share this

- oil get too hot
- oil foams and spews
- too short vent hose
- o-ring or air leak in the differential

These were the main culprits

I'm not sure what brand/weight of oil was used as I didn't do the install. The shop is very good and has installed a lot of D60's so I'm sure whatever currie recommends is what they used.

Vent hose is plenty long. O-ring is a tougher guess/fix. I'm going to try pulling the drain plug first before I go that far. As far as overheating, not sure how to prevent that.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
post #6 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
I'm not sure what brand/weight of oil was used as I didn't do the install. The shop is very good and has installed a lot of D60's so I'm sure whatever currie recommends is what they used.

Vent hose is plenty long. O-ring is a tougher guess/fix. I'm going to try pulling the drain plug first before I go that far. As far as overheating, not sure how to prevent that.
As fas as the heat, different forums ( desert racing, yota, etc) - have tried different weights with success.

Future note - another common issue is oil coming from the solenoid..R/T air leak in diff and/or o-ring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Rock God

There is no drain plug on the Currie rock Jock 60.

I had the same problem. At first, I let it find the level it liked and I kept it there, but it always got OVER FILLED.

I consulted with David at Currie. He went and looked at the drawings and came back with the front and rear fill levels and sent me these:

FRONT = 3" below the bottom of the fill hole.

REAR = 3 1/4" below the bottom of the fill hole.-

He also said to be sure and use the supplied vent hose, and not the factory ones.

He is on here so maybe he will confirm these findings again

Hope this helps.

I love my Rock Jocks and the service that John, David, and Travis have provided me.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post

I had the same problem. At first, I let it find the level it liked and I kept it there, but it always got OVER FILLED.

I consulted with David at Currie. He went and looked at the drawings and came back with the front and rear fill levels and sent me these:

He also said to be sure and use the supplied vent hose, and not the factory ones.

Hope this helps.

I love my Rock Jocks and the service that John, David, and Travis have provided me.

Good to know..thanks slippery!

post #9 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine did the same thing. It stopped doing it when the fluid got about 1.5-2" under the fill hole. I called Currie and was told that level is fine. No problems since.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
For ARB's:
NON-sythetic gear oil - 85W-140 - hypoid racing oil

http://www.valvoline.co.za/Documenta...%2085W-140.pdf

post #11 of 11 Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post

Hope this helps.

sounds good. I meant fill plug I'll keep this in mind in the future when servicing my diffs.

Thanks guys.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode