seatbelts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

seatbelts?

has anyone changed out there factory seatbelts for some after market harness style belts? i am having issues with the passenger side hangin up and seeing how i am deployed the stealership is jerkin the wife around saying they are not covered under warranty. i call bs. i havent broke 16500 on the od yet and i know i am from tn but i dont think its out of the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty yet especially it being an 08 and all. i was just curious if anyone has swapped them out while still using the factory seats. when i get home i am pulling everything out and bedlining the floor and that would be a perfect time to install new belts. now i will be quiet and see what the pro's say about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i cant believe there hasnt been a response. well not really but i have a hard time with the fact that no one has done this or thought about at least. come on guys some one has gotta have some info on this.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
JKO Addict!

You need some sort of cage or harness bar to tie to. Without one they aren't very safe from my understanding (spinal issues in an impact?)

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO'BOY View Post
i cant believe there hasnt been a response. well not really but i have a hard time with the fact that no one has done this or thought about at least. come on guys some one has gotta have some info on this.

sorry, I tried having a life this week

you got any local boys? That dealership has not a leg to stand on, safety devices take precedence over everything.

But on the harness: you need the correct mounting for the harness, end of story. Yes it could be done "correctly" without a rear bar but you would have belts running all the way past the rear seats And a harness in my opinion is not "safer" for 90% of the drivers out there. Most people can not stand being actively restrained for long drives, so they take off the shoulder belts.
Or they have the belts slack.
or tightened incorrectly.

Now its pretty much worthless.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks for the info. i wasnt sure if it work or not that is why i asked before i shelled out for some new belts. as far as the stealership goes i will see what they tell me when i get out of the sand box and get back home. thanks again
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

And another note about harnesses - depending on where you live they may not be legal for daily road usage.

It doesn't make sense - when installed properly they are orders of magnitude more safe than a standard seat belt, but laws don't have to make sense

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
or check out my

post #7 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

It's easy and straightforward install. All you need is a rock hard harness bar and a set of harnesses.
Attached Images

post #8 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sorry can only upload one pic per post via tapatalk.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Last one I still need to completely remove factory belts. FYI this is not a daily driver
Attached Images

post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks again for all the good info. the pics were good it helped me see how everything goes together. thanks again.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JCKnauer22

i was thinking the same thing since my passenger belt is toast thanks to Rausch Creek. the dealer wants ~$250 for a new belt and after looking it up, i can throw in a rock hard harness bar and a mastercraft harness for cheaper than the new belt. only problem i see is what do you do with the stock belt? it has that damn airbag wire going to it so that would have to be addressed. could it be jumped out or what? been pondering this for quite a while...
post #12 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Side note: Make sure to check your states vehicle inspection laws. A lot of states require that you leave the factory seat belts installed at all times, even when you have aftermarket harnesses installed.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i was simply thinking about putting in the corbeau 3 point retractible harness's for the front seats and not worry about the back yet. 105 plus shipping through q-tec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode