Alignment - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Alignment

I'm my camber may be off on my Rubi. Is there a way to do the alignment myself or should I take it in. I saw a Toe-In write in the library but that's it.

When I did a 5 tire rotation after 6k miles, I put the left front on the carrier. I noticed the other day that the inside looked a little more worn than the outside. I was looking straight on at my Jeep yesterday and I can actually see the tire further out on the bottm than the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 06-30-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Granite Guru

Check the ball joints. The tires wont last long that way.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

My camber is off due to a bent c. Only fixes are to straighten it, get offset joints, or a new axle.

Balljoints going bad can cause camber to be off also.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

i just had offset joints put in.

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
post #5 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

JK only has 11k on it. HTF could the ball joints be gone.

I'll go check them.

I'll take it in to a shop to have them check the alignment.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the camber is FACTORY , you cant change or adjust it, you also cant change then caster without adjustable control arms. So taking it for an alignment is pretty much a waste other then adjusting toe it, unless u are trying to find out what is bent. Any hard wheeling? With only 11k on it I cant see the ball joints being bad but I guess anything is possible. Myself and others have had bad hub bearings that made the camber look really bad, but again not at 11K. If you did bend a C you can use a offset balljoint to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #7 of 15 Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
the camber is FACTORY , you cant change or adjust it, you also cant change then caster without adjustable control arms. So taking it for an alignment is pretty much a waste other then adjusting toe it, unless u are trying to find out what is bent. Any hard wheeling? With only 11k on it I cant see the ball joints being bad but I guess anything is possible. Myself and others have had bad hub bearings that made the camber look really bad, but again not at 11K. If you did bend a C you can use a offset balljoint to fix it.
I've only really done forest roads. But back in December it took me 5 or 6 times to get up this big hill. The Jeep was bouncing everywhere in the ruts. The steering is perfect and I have no wobble.

When you say "bend a C", what be a "C" (control arm?)

Thanks.

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 06-28-2010 at 06:45 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jacked up the front of the JK and put it on stands. Ball joints and wheel bearings are fine. Nothing under there is bent and everything is tight. I looked at the JK head-on this morning with the wheels straight and the camber looked fine. I'm going to check the Toe-in alignment this weekend.

, Granite,
post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

The inner "Cs" on JK front axles are notoriously weak, as are the axle tubes themselves. The local dealer tells me camber readings on bone stock, brand new JKs are out of spec right off the transporters. They think the process of chaining the vehicles down on the trucks puts enough load on the tubes & Cs to bend them and thus the camber issues. Only way you can tell is by putting it on an alignment rack and doing the readings.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
The inner "Cs" on JK front axles are notoriously weak, as are the axle tubes themselves. The local dealer tells me camber readings on bone stock, brand new JKs are out of spec right off the transporters. They think the process of chaining the vehicles down on the trucks puts enough load on the tubes & Cs to bend them and thus the camber issues. Only way you can tell is by putting it on an alignment rack and doing the readings.
Still unclear on the "C's". Are you talking about the yokes that the ball joints attach to?

, Granite,
post #11 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Still unclear on the "C's". Are you talking about the yokes that the ball joints attach to?
Here is the gusset for them with pics

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-21273.html

I would say check it on a alignment rack if you feel. With that many miles I wouldn't imagine the joint to be back, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Here is the gusset for them with pics

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-21273.html

I would say check it on a alignment rack if you feel. With that many miles I wouldn't imagine the joint to be back, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks, the picture helped and is what I call the yoke.

, Granite,
post #13 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Granite Guru

Mike,

The ball joints on my axle C's were shagged after only a couple of thousand KM on stock tyres.

I guess faulty batches do exist.

Tom

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #14 of 15 Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

My front axle was bent as well as the "C". I think the best fix is to send it to Poly and have them replace the tube, add the gussets bend back the C and re gear it all at the same time. Now I have a very strong Dana 44 with 3" chromoly tubes and "C" s that will never bend again. I'm happy as could be and it cost a lot less than a new front axle. I also have a new place to call and whine with stupid questions when I can't figure stuff out. Money well spent. If your going to do any kind of wheeling with your JK at all just take care of the front end now, do it all at once and fix it right the first time. So much cheaper than a new 60 and for what I'm going to do just as strong.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Seems to me it would be difficult to bend the short tube side of the axle. If mine is ever bent, and the Jeep is under warranty, they'll be replacing it.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode