HID headlight help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

HID headlight help

Quick question...I put in some HID lights a couple of weeks ago and they have been working flawlessly.

Last week I took my Jeep in to the dealer because it wouldnt start. They replaced the PMC and the TIPM.

Now the HID lights blink on/off slowly and then they shut off all together and will not come on.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Do you know if they reflashed the system after installing the new components?

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
Do you know if they reflashed the system after installing the new components?
Yes they did. They had to because the PCM and TIPM were new/blank. I have since put my superchips program back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Yes they did. They had to because the PCM and TIPM were new/blank. I have since put my superchips program back in.
ahhh...gotcha. Stumps me....hold on....did you wire them into the factory fog light harness without using the light connectors? (meaning direct wire connections) I ask because that's what happened with my Delta Lights when I put them in using the factory fog light harness. I switched the wiring to the sPOD and haven't had any issues since.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

do you have a capacitor/diode relay setup? Or some 'headlight fault cancel' deal?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
ahhh...gotcha. Stumps me....hold on....did you wire them into the factory fog light harness without using the light connectors? (meaning direct wire connections) I ask because that's what happened with my Delta Lights when I put them in using the factory fog light harness. I switched the wiring to the sPOD and haven't had any issues since.
not fogs, headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
do you have a capacitor/diode relay setup? Or some 'headlight fault cancel' deal?
yes I put in all the needed equipment. Its driving me crazy. Worked for a couple of weeks and now they dont...SUX
post #7 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
not fogs, headlights

ok....

yes I put in all the needed equipment. Its driving me crazy. Worked for a couple of weeks and now they dont...SUX
wondering if by any chance maybe the CAP (or Diode) blew in the capacitor/diode relay. with the blinking going on, sounds like an AC symptom on a DC circuit and then the completely off maybe a filled cap that is preventing any DC. Okay....really tired/loopy so I probably am not making sense cause I am confusing myself! HAHA Unfortunately still have 2 more "wake time" hours left before I can hop on the plane and sleep!

Good luck Rooster!

U.S. Army
post #8 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

i say hook the HIDs directly up to the battery and see what you are dealing with. If they still act up, then your ballast or something just died coincidentally. imo.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Rock God

Exact same thing happened to Dr. Dirty. He bought some error cancelling switches from ebay. I don't know if he installed them yet but PM him and I am sure he can help you out.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
Exact same thing happened to Dr. Dirty. He bought some error cancelling switches from ebay. I don't know if he installed them yet but PM him and I am sure he can help you out.
yeah, Ive got those installed. Im going to pull it apart and see what happens.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
JKowners Vendor

Possible problem...

Rooster,
Are these HID lights that are replacing factory headlights? Or are they offroad lights that are HID and you are using the factory foglight switch to activate?

1) Do yourself a favor and just stay clear of any factory wires and DO NOT tap into any of them!
2) If they are a set of HID offroad lights, then go directly to the sPOD.

The ECU, TIPM is utilizing a CAN-Bus / MUX system which is programmed to recognize specific voltages or voltage change range. If it sees a different reading from those simple wires that you tapped into, it will try and adjust the voltage which in turn messes with your HID's!

STAY AWAY FROM CAN-Bus unless you are a highly skilled

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #12 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPOD-guy View Post
Rooster,
Are these HID lights that are replacing factory headlights? Or are they offroad lights that are HID and you are using the factory foglight switch to activate?

1) Do yourself a favor and just stay clear of any factory wires and DO NOT tap into any of them!
2) If they are a set of HID offroad lights, then go directly to the sPOD.

The ECU, TIPM is utilizing a CAN-Bus / MUX system which is programmed to recognize specific voltages or voltage change range. If it sees a different reading from those simple wires that you tapped into, it will try and adjust the voltage which in turn messes with your HID's!

STAY AWAY FROM CAN-Bus unless you are a highly skilled
No its the HID headlights conversion kit. With the cancellers and all that crap. They worked before they installed the new TIPM and PCM. I havent tapped into anything. I am going to try and power off the battery and if that works I guess I will run my headlights off the sPOD.

John - Im running out of room on the sPOD. When you going to make a lower dash panel sPOD??? I need more switches!
post #13 of 26 Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
No its the HID headlights conversion kit. With the cancellers and all that crap. They worked before they installed the new TIPM and PCM. I havent tapped into anything. I am going to try and power off the battery and if that works I guess I will run my headlights off the sPOD.

John - Im running out of room on the sPOD. When you going to make a lower dash panel sPOD??? I need more switches!
If they reflashed the TIPM system, you will continue to have problems. It is trying to regulate the power being supplied to the HID's.
Well, if you can find a second spot for the Source, then this little sPOD will clamp onto your roll-bar and you will have another six circuits to play with!
[IMG][/IMG]

-John the sPOD guy
post #14 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If they reflashed the TIPM system, you will continue to have problems. It is trying to regulate the power being supplied to the HID's.
Well, if you can find a second spot for the Source, then this little sPOD will clamp onto your roll-bar and you will have another six circuits to play with!
[IMG][/IMG]
John, I dont see it listed on your website. What are the details? How much is it?
post #15 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 AM
JKowners Vendor

E-mail me....we havenít finished the photo shoots yet on the mini, but they are available.
e-mail me @ [email protected]
Does your roll bar have padding ?

Quote:
John, I dont see it listed on your website. What are the details? How much is it?

-John the sPOD guy
post #16 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey rooster the error cancelers i bought did not work, mine worked fine untill the dealer reflashed my tipm as well.....

www.jeepasylum.com
post #17 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Hey rooster the error cancelers i bought did not work, mine worked fine untill the dealer reflashed my tipm as well.....
Scott what did you do to fix the problem then? New cancellers? Its driving me crazy. Joker and I worked on it over the phone today and moved everything around, tried different combinations and it was the same results every time. So I put my PIAA bulbs back in until I can get it resolved.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
E-mail me....we havenít finished the photo shoots yet on the mini, but they are available.
e-mail me @ [email protected]
Does your roll bar have padding ?
email sent...no padding
post #19 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Rock God

Might be a dumb question, but have you checked all the connections. I had that happen on a different car, found out the connection at the bulb was slightly loose.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

so did you hook it directly to the battery yet?

post #21 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
so did you hook it directly to the battery yet?
Yes same thing. Im thinking its either bad cancellers or something with the reflash of the TIPM has caused them to stop working.

Joker and I worked on it over the phone. I took the HID off line and turn the lights on and it didnt throw a code to let me know they werent lighting up. So Im thinking the reflash did me in.

I sent VVME an email and they are working on sending me replacement parts.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im betting its your TIPM like mine is, I have pluged mine into another JK and it worked fine and the also work fine in my YJ. Mine were working fine for months till the TIPMM died

www.jeepasylum.com
post #23 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Im betting its your TIPM like mine is, I have pluged mine into another JK and it worked fine and the also work fine in my YJ. Mine were working fine for months till the TIPMM died
So you had to take yours out? That sux! What could they have done to our TIPM's to keep them from not working if they worked before? Thats BS but ofcourse you cant go back to the dealer and make them fix it.

Guess if they wont work I will be putting them in the tow rig or the wifes new Camaro
post #24 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
JKO Addict!

That sucks, I had my TIPM replaced and didnt have a problem. I don't have cancelers, I have a relay with a capacitor and diode.

post #25 of 26 Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That sucks, I had my TIPM replaced and didnt have a problem. I don't have cancelers, I have a relay with a capacitor and diode.
Is yours wired to a switch or off the battery? Do you mind PM'ing me your set up or if you have any pics of how your capacitor/diode works. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode