Driveshaft question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Driveshaft question

I have searched and read "lots" of posts here and elsewhere about driveshafts. I know I am going to need them at some time. I am probably suffering from info overload right now.

First the Jeep:
09 JK 2DR 6 speed.
3" TF lift with adjustable LCA's front and rear.
35" Nitto Terra Grapplers which actually measure just over 34".

The contenders in no particular order:
Online vendors:
Tom Woods
J.E Reel
Coast
Tatton

There are also several local driveline shops that have good reputations.

J.E Reel and Coast provide a direct, no need to change yokes or flanges, bolt on replacement. I have decided I don't want those. I have decided on getting the replacement flanges/yokes from whichever company I decide on so I am comparing apples to apples.

What are the pros and cons of the above options? I know everybody has a favorite and depending on where you ask, you get a bunch of support for Woods or Reel or Coast. Sites like these tend to not be local in nature and may not have a local option.

How do the local shops compare to the brands listed above?
Are there advantages to the online vendors?
All things being equal, I would rather buy local. Down side of that is 9.3 % is tacked on for tax so the local price is not too much cheaper than some online deals.

For quality, service and best bang for the buck, where would you buy your driveshafts from?

I really only want to do this once so I think a little research up front will pay off in the long run.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by MTPOKETS; 06-27-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

drive

try to check the poly performance site,they have je reel and poly driveshafts,they give you three choices,ome replacement(with cv joints of course)1310and the 1350 HD,now the last two with the possibility of an upgrade;use the site to check them out and then give them a call they can work and make all the combinations you want.
If you wanna do it right the first time go straight with 1350 hd(+/-1500 bucks for both front and rear)that is peace of mind there!!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

drive

I forgot to mention the the shafts come with diff and t case yoke replacements,so is true they cost little more but you get what you pay for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Just head over to Phoenix Rack & Axle, 114 N 32nd St (just north of Washington) 602-252-8255 and they'll build you a custom set of driveshafts for the same money as mailorder. Dropped off my 4dr JK in the morning and it was complete mid-afternoon. Couldn't be easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode