Help with Rear Swaybar!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation Help with Rear Swaybar!!

I installed some Teraflex Control Arms today. Front Lowers and Rear Uppers.

The only thing I am somewhat concerned with now is my rear sway bar links, they look to be touching the rear bumpstops and axle frame. I am guessing this is because the axle was shifted on it's axis to the rear. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I know many people are running the same arms and would like to hear what you have done. Thanks in advance.

Here are the pics:[/SIZE][/B]

Rear Sway Bar Links after Rear Upper Arms installed:

Last edited by jason0341; 06-25-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You may have to shorten your arm a bit to give you space

From your angles I'm guessing 2 dr with 3-4 in lift.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah sorry it's a 2Dr. with the TF 2.5 Coil Lift, however I got about 3.75 front and 3" rear. I set the rear uppers to 18 3/8" like TF mentions in the instructions for a 2Dr. with 3" Lift. I guess if I was to shorten them I would have to disassemble everything, adjust, and reinstall again correct?

On the other forum, someone mentioned about moving the whole rear sway bar back to the rear some to help out. Anyone do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's gonna be either or! Just depends on how much work yup willing to do yourself. That's the issues you get with 2 drs. I have/had the same.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Rock God

With a 2 door and 3" or more in rear lift may want:
  • Rock Krawler rear coil degree correction wedges.
  • Currie or JKS rear coil spring retainers
  • relocate rear swaybar bracket back on the frame (you move the front end of the bracket to the stock rear hole and then drill a new hole for the back end)
  • Modify the stock frame side trackbar bracket and/or run a Teraflex rear trackbar (because the TF design bends out right after the trackbar mount.

Here are some pics of what Co4Lo did to his rear frame side trackbar bracket. I stretched my wheelbase by 0.75" in the back to be able to clear 40s. So, I will be doing the same.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
JKO Addict!

TF really needs to redesign their links. I had this same issue when I first installed my TF kit. It was initially installed as a 4" kit w/3" springs, but is now set up w/4" springs. With the taller springs the links will just clear.

To make their somewhat universal sway bar link design work on the rear of the JK they move them to the inside of the sway bar & lower mount. If you mount them on the oterhside they'll hit the tires & rims due to their width. This can cause the problem you're experiencing, plus, unless there's enough bump stop to prevent it the upper joints on the rear links can hit the hard brake lines. As noted in another thread, if you don't have enough rear bump stop installed they can literally rip the hard lines off, leaving you with no rear brakes. I still have the TF links installed on my rig but plan to replace them with Poly's links, a better design all 'round.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
With a 2 door and 3" or more in rear lift may want:
  • Rock Krawler rear coil degree correction wedges.
  • Currie or JKS rear coil spring retainers
  • relocate rear swaybar bracket back on the frame (you move the front end of the bracket to the stock rear hole and then drill a new hole for the back end)
  • Modify the stock frame side trackbar bracket and/or run a Teraflex rear trackbar (because the TF design bends out right after the trackbar mount.

Here are some pics of what Co4Lo did to his rear frame side trackbar bracket. I stretched my wheelbase by 0.75" in the back to be able to clear 40s. So, I will be doing the same.

Planman, I am currently running the TF rear coil retainers, I think I may move the rear sway bar to the rear some. Also I noticed that my springs are know contacting my stock trackbar some. I am running the oem trackbar with the Teraflex Track bar reloction bracket. If I get a Teraflex rear trackbar would this prevent the coils from rubbing on the trackbar?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Rock God

I have the TF axle mount trackbar bracket also and the stock trackbar rubbed the springs. Once I added the Rock Krawler degree wedges it rotated the springs out of the way. Cheap and easy fix. The bracket has 3 holes for axle centering, with a TF 3" lift mine centered perfect on the middle hole.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
I have the TF axle mount trackbar bracket also and the stock trackbar rubbed the springs. Once I added the Rock Krawler degree wedges it rotated the springs out of the way. Cheap and easy fix. The bracket has 3 holes for axle centering, with a TF 3" lift mine centered perfect on the middle hole.
Sorry, I meant I have the TF trackbar drop bracket on the frame side, not the axle mount one.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

just rip the sway bar off....... who needs it

no jeep here...
post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0341 View Post
If I get a Teraflex rear trackbar would this prevent the coils from rubbing on the trackbar?
Yes.

The Teraflex rear trackbar solved the problem for me with stock rear lower arms and JKS rear upper arms with a Tom Woods driveshaft on the OME HD springs that netted me 3.125".

Then, I later added the RK wedges and moved my rear axle back 0.75". So, I also need to modify the frame side bracket like in the picture above.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok cool, I am going go look into getting one. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode