Rerouting exhaust (eliminating cross over pipe) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Rerouting exhaust (eliminating cross over pipe)

Since my engine/trans skid plate has been well used and is now bowed up a bit, it hits the exhaust cross-over pipe that runs beneath the trans; which causes annoying rattles. I'm looking for ideas on how to reroute the exhaust to eliminate that, but I would like to keep my muffler (aftermarket but installed in same place as stock); so, I would probably need to run another cross-over pipe somewhere else. Question is where and how? Open to other ideas, too. Chime in and thanks in advance.

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Vidi, vici, veni
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wouldn't it be easier to replace the skidplate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to replace the skidplate?
sure if I had another $350 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. And then when that one gets bowed I can spend that much again? No thanks. I'm looking for a permanent solution.

Vidi, vici, veni

post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
sure if I had another $350 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. And then when that one gets bowed I can spend that much again? No thanks. I'm looking for a permanent solution.
Which plate are you running?

post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Kilby. but when you wheel out here on big rocks/boulders, it doesn't really matter whose you're running - it's going to eventually get bowed.

Vidi, vici, veni

post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Kilby. but when you wheel out here on big rocks/boulders, it doesn't really matter whose you're running - it's going to eventually get bowed.
I used to be stationed out there, familiar with the area.

God, I miss Big Bear...

Not sure how the 3.8 would react to a pair of straight pipes... Pretty sure that with out an X/H pipe somewhere the engine will throw a fit. Can't think of any place other than factory where you can fit a collector though. Maybe an exhaust shop can pull the pipe and put it on the mandrel and tweak the bends to raise is up a bit away from the skid.

Another idea is to pull the skid and have it pressed back into a flat(ish) shape again, weld some reinforcement the top, and maybe add some HDPE to the underside to help distribute the weight when you do come down on the skid and help you slide over instead of denting.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
I
Not sure how the 3.8 would react to a pair of straight pipes... Pretty sure that with out an X/H pipe somewhere the engine will throw a fit. Can't think of any place other than factory where you can fit a collector though. Maybe an exhaust shop can pull the pipe and put it on the mandrel and tweak the bends to raise is up a bit away from the skid.

Another idea is to pull the skid and have it pressed back into a flat(ish) shape again, weld some reinforcement the top, and maybe add some HDPE to the underside to help distribute the weight when you do come down on the skid and help you slide over instead of denting.
That's what I was thinking but I don't know who could press it back to shape. It would need one hell of a press. Even if I bought a new one and then I tried to reinforce it, I'm afraid the support rods (for reinforcement) would then hit the pipe.

I might go to my local muffler shop and see what they can come up with - they do a lot of custom stuff; so they might have an idea.

Vidi, vici, veni

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode