2Dr and muffler question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2Dr and muffler question

IM looking at getting an exhaust and would like to relocate it while im at it. HOWEVER I do have a 2 Dr and REALLY want to get the Dominion Offroad enalrged storage tub. This rules out re-locating the evap to the stock muffler location.

Also I want some refinement . . .so simply deleting the muffler isnt an option. Are there any mufflers small enough to fit in the 2 dr w/o relocating the evap? . . what if i had a heat shield made?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Cherry Bomb/ Walker Glasspack. Not sure

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

just so you know, i haven't heard one aftermarket exhaust on a 3.8L that gave it any balls...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Rock God

In installed the enlarged storage tub and like it.

I run the Cherry Bomb. It sounds pretty close to my wife's Rancho exhaust.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Good deal, do you know which one you got? . . . there are alot of sizes on their site.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post
Good deal, do you know which one you got? . . . there are alot of sizes on their site.
Maybe planman will confirm, but I think it is the Cherry Bomb Pro- part # 300653.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Maybe planman will confirm, but I think it is the Cherry Bomb Pro- part # 300653.
I went to my local muffler shop & told them what I wanted.

They had a good inventory of Cherry Bomb mufflers. They measured the space I had available & the pipe diameter to decide which one to use.

I think the muffler was under $40, & they charged me about 1 hour in labor for the install.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I went to my local muffler shop & told them what I wanted.

They had a good inventory of Cherry Bomb mufflers. They measured the space I had available & the pipe diameter to decide which one to use.

I think the muffler was under $40, & they charged me about 1 hour in labor for the install.
Nice, what does it sound like? I don't know what the rancho sound like and couldn't find any decent clips.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Nice, what does it sound like? I don't know what the rancho sound like and couldn't find any decent clips.
Deep and sort of loud. I like it.

For a clip, search on youtube:

April 5 Behind the Rocks

post #10 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Rock God

my relocation of the evap can put it nowhere near the storage tub, it's over the axle. I then went with a flowmaster 40, used the old heat shield and was done with it. Nice growl.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
my relocation of the evap can put it nowhere near the storage tub, it's over the axle. I then went with a flowmaster 40, used the old heat shield and was done with it. Nice growl.
Did your relocating force you to drill into the floor and use carriage bolts? . . I dont oppose to drilling its just that i've linexed so everything is nice and black lol . . What kit (if any) did you use?

Thanks for all the help guys . . ATM I may just cherry bomb it to see how i like it (it cheap enough why not). I love the Flowmaster 80 series I just need to figure out plumbing after that.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Did your relocating force you to drill into the floor and use carriage bolts? . . I dont oppose to drilling its just that i've linexed so everything is nice and black lol . . What kit (if any) did you use?

Thanks for all the help guys . . ATM I may just cherry bomb it to see how i like it (it cheap enough why not). I love the Flowmaster 80 series I just need to figure out plumbing after that.
I know you're asking JohnL - but I relocated mine without any kit. Just used 4 stainless bolts/ washers/ lock washers (3/4" or 1"- can't remember), and about 2 ft of marine grade fuel hose. No codes/ no issues.

I'm also running a Flowmaster Hushpower II in place of the stock muffler. Everything is tucked out of harms way.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:

i used the woods relocation kit, but no carridge bolts. I used the same hardware as Stu. I called flowmaster and discussed which would be the best muffler for the motor, they said the 40 was a great match. Whatever you get, keep in mind that free flowing does not always equal more power. These little 3.8's need some back pressure. You don't want to lose any low end power.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode