Busted brake lines - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Busted brake lines

So the snow has melted and l took off the roof and loaded up the bikes and coolers. my buddies and i were on the pavement to a trail that i wanted to wheel on. I feel my brakes loosing stoping power and the pedal goes closer to the floor each time. So i park it and do a walk around. on my rear right tire the brake line attatched to the frame had been snagged by the protruding bolt of the rear sway bar. It pulled the black steel line down so much that it broke the connector where the black steel line goes into the male end of the connector, where it attatches to the bracket

when i stepped on the brakes, brake fluid shoots out of the crack, leaving my jeep undriveable!

AAA comes and gives me a toe, the guy who picked us up happens to be the guy that told me while helping a neighbor that there was no way my jeep could pull a 1000 lb I Beam into my backyard... Easy....

heres some pics.... ive googled the problem and looks like i just need a new brake line piece

anybody have this problem??
Attached Images

2013 rubi axles. 2.5in RK max travel. coast front DS.. rockhard oil pan and tranny skid plate. xrc 8 comp winch mounted on RR XHD

south lake tahoe california.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
JKO Addict!

did you install the bolt the opposite way it should be? Kinda hard to tell from de pics.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

possibly... you can see in the last one.. the bolt just came down on the black line and pulled it down breaking the attatchement fitting thing

2013 rubi axles. 2.5in RK max travel. coast front DS.. rockhard oil pan and tranny skid plate. xrc 8 comp winch mounted on RR XHD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Are you sure it contacted the bolt, or are your lines too short for your lift. Figuring I extended my rear line mounts with 2.5" coil spacers, I'd imagine the more than "2.5" coil lift you have could potentially have a length problem..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

yes im sure.. you can see on the line the scraping from the bolt pulling on it. they are extended with the 2.5in coil lift extenders..

it pulled the line down and casued a break in the first pic where the black line goes into the metal fitting.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

where can i get a new piece that replaces the one thats broken??!

post #7 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My lift was doing the same thing. My bump stop was missing the bump stop extension pad that's part of the lift kit. This was because the axle was shifted so far back by the shop who was trying to avoid my tires rubbing the pinch seam which was not cut at the time of my install. Anyway, the sway bar bolt was rubbing the frame pretty good. Another inch and it would have caught my brake line.

I filpped the bolt around and put wheel spacers on.

Project Blue Bruin Build-Up Blog:

M416 Offroad Trailer Build:
post #8 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

i flipped the bolt also and have a spare tube coming into my stealership tomorow only 17 bucks to fix this issue!

post #9 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
My lift was doing the same thing. My bump stop was missing the bump stop extension pad that's part of the lift kit. This was because the axle was shifted so far back by the shop who was trying to avoid my tires rubbing the pinch seam which was not cut at the time of my install. Anyway, the sway bar bolt was rubbing the frame pretty good. Another inch and it would have caught my brake line.

I filpped the bolt around and put wheel spacers on.
Blue, this is another issue with Teraflex's sway bar links. Mounting them to the inside like they do puts the hard lines right in their path, even if the bump stops are aligned. I have that same rub pattern on mine (TF 4" short arm). I'm going to switch to Poly's rear links to get rid of this problem. They mount to the outside of the bar, like the stock ones.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I did the same thing and ripped bith of them off lol

so here is my fix

www.jeepasylum.com
post #11 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 AM
JKO Addict!

I run little cheap bungie cords to keep my lines up and out of the way.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-26-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

nice fix! but a new piece from the stealership is only 17 dollars.. for now itll do.

now im workin on gettin my brakes bled

post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

There is a safer way to re route ur rear brakelines, if you take your rear shocks off an look up where they mount ul see a oval hole, drill that hole out to 5/8 , an straighten out ur hard line , to go into that hole an order some stainless steel braided lines, with that kit youl get the spring clamp reatainer an youl never have that problem again, Currie ent. Has a rear brake line kit with the correct instructions to do this modification, its a very stout an resonable price fix, running them on the outside of the frame seems to be very dangerous to me, I allways wondered what if !!!!!, u answered it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode