detroit locker questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

detroit locker questions

hi guys!I have few questions about a detroit locker.
so in the near future I'm going to change my axles with rock jocks or prorock 60(I have to decide yet)anyway the question is:how a detroit locker will effect the ESP/ABS on normal road driving?
I,m not talking about the normal behaviour of a detroit I know that very well and I kind of like it I use to have detroit in my CJ but as you all know there is no complex electrogismos on a CJ.
The front axle will have a detroit as well but is not going to be a problem cause I'm going to have manual locking hubs.
please tell me what you think about it
THANKS IN ADVANCE IT'S A JEEP THING..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock God

if your talking about a lunchbox type locker i dont know of any company making one for the rear d44 in our jk's
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

locker

I'm talking about adetroit locker the most famous locker on earth,and is going to go in a currie rock jock 60 or a dynatrac prorock 60:detroit lockers they are always locked(when torque is applyed)then when you release the gas to make a turn they open to function as a open diff.now these lockers are notorius for there strenght an off road manners,on regular roads they are weird,noise.They did something with the new generation(softlockers)but on the road they still weird.but like I sad before I like the detroit on the road my question is:will the detroit locker work with no issues with the ESP/ABS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm running a Detroit in my front Rock Jock 60. No problems with ABS or ESP during normal driving, but you will know its up there driving on the street with the hubs engaged, especially in tight turns. The Detroit does loosen up and "break-in" over time and behaves a little better than the old Detroits. But mine doesnt affect the ABS/ESP when engaged on the street.

I went with the Detroit up front and Manual locking hubs so I can turn it off on the street. Currie gives you the choice of manual hubs at no additional cost so I went that route. I'm really glad I did, because you can really feel the difference between having the hubs engaged or free on the street - basically the difference between liking it and not liking it.

That Detroit is awesome off road; it just flat out works when it needs to and you don't even know its there. I have an Eaton elocker in the back, and this has been an unstoppable combo off road.

I had a Detroit in the rear of my YJ and hated it; turns in tight canyons or on switchbacks were very difficult. So no experience with a Detroit in the rear of a JK.

Last edited by desert dog; 06-24-2010 at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Wheeler

I am going the same route with a Detroit very very soon. My thoughts are that the ESP and ABS only "kick in" if they detect a slip in the tire. But with the Detroit there should be way less slip or I could be totally wrong. I'll let you know soon!
post #6 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lockers

amen desert dog!thanks for the info!!!I have a question for you:how hard was to mke the e-locker you have in the back to work with the factory switch?
thanks
post #7 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Id spend the extra $ for the selectable up front. 8 point turns on the trail brings the suck, and a front detroit in the snow can get scary. For the rear detroit no prob, but id drop the extra $ for the front. Just my .02 from having both up front in my 60.... I love my arb :-)
post #8 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lockers

in the front I'm not going to have problems,symply cause I'm gonna have manual locking hubs;so on the road the front wheels are going to be free
see I love the detroit because it is symple,very rugged,there is no wires,hoses
relais,compressors and so on!plus maybe you think I'm crazy but I'm going to
run only 35"s with dana 60s I guess that's the right formula to be bombproof!!
what do you think?
post #9 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rubicon View Post
amen desert dog!thanks for the info!!!I have a question for you:how hard was to mke the e-locker you have in the back to work with the factory switch?
thanks
I bought an X not a Rubi (because I knew everything was gonna come out). I'm using a Daystar switch to engage the elocker. Wiring should be easier for you because you should be able to use your factory switch.

Quote:
Id spend the extra $ for the selectable up front. 8 point turns on the trail brings the suck, and a front Detroit in the snow can get scary. For the rear Detroit no prob, but id drop the extra $ for the front. Just my .02 from having both up front in my 60.... I love my arb :-)
Never had this problem on the trail with the front Detroit, it unlocks pretty well in turns and you have your tires into the turn anyway. My front always unlocks in tight turns. Its the rear Detroit that makes tight turns hard; it just keeps pushing you straight as you attempt to turn.

With my front Detroit, I make the same turns as 2-doors with open fronts - but cant do it with the rear locked. Currie and many other teams run all of their comp rock crawlers with a Detroit in the front and a selectable in the rear. I do well in the snow too, but unlock the front hubs on ice because that can get scary!
post #10 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lockers

so what do you think if I go with both e-locker front and rear?I know a guy that install detroit e-locker in rock jocks.are you happy with your rear e-locker,is it tuff,any particular issues?and what about the rock jock 60 are you happy? I know is not big and stout like the pro rock,but do you think will be bulletproof with only 35"?
well thanks in advance and IT'S A JEEP THING.....!!!
post #11 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Unless it's a dedicated trail/rocks only rig there's no way I'd go with F&R Detroits, much as I love 'em. If you have one up front it's really necessary to have some form of ram, too. They are basically indestructible, but the handling vices will really detract from a street rig. I'd go selectable for sure.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lockers

in the front I'm going to have manual locking hubs,so on the street my ring,pinion,axleshafts,front driveshaft,they're going to stay still;if you prefer my JK is gonna be a 2WD without the front driveline drag;so if the detroit is not spinning nor connected to the front wheels on the street is not an issue.
but I will love to have front and rear selectable,that is why I'm searching info
on the detroit e-locker reliability.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Unless it's a dedicated trail/rocks only rig there's no way I'd go with F&R Detroits, much as I love 'em. If you have one up front it's really necessary to have some form of ram, too. They are basically indestructible, but the handling vices will really detract from a street rig. I'd go selectable for sure.
Moot point I think. OP stated that he is getting manual hubs up front. And on the trail, I have never had handling issues with a Detroit in the front. The ram comes into play due to large tires IMO, not due to an auto locker.

Quote:
so what do you think if I go with both e-locker front and rear?I know a guy that install detroit e-locker in rock jocks.are you happy with your rear e-locker,is it tuff,any particular issues?and what about the rock jock 60 are you happy? I know is not big and stout like the pro rock,but do you think will be bulletproof with only 35"?
I have used ARBs for many years, and I gotta say that I like the Eaton e-locker much better. I really beat on my rig in some of the toughest trails and "side obstacles" around and have had zero issues. I would have an issue or two sometimes with my ARBs when I would beat my XJ up in Johnson Valley (Lines, a dead compressor, and bad solenoids) but the ARBs were the best thing going back then.

My Rockjock has had zero issues; I beat up every weekend, then hit it all with black spray paint again. The only thing I needed to do was reinforce my spring perches because I also like to jump my jeep in the sand dunes once in a while - something that I doubt you will need to do. I think that the Currie axles are an excellent bargain. Nothing is break-proof, but take comfort in knowing that the D60 is overkill for your 35s and 3.8L engine.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lockers

I cannot thank you enough!that is exactly the answer I was looking for.
I mostly do crawling,technical stuff,the tarrain is mostly hard clay and gravel,with a lot of suspension travel and off camber.but I don't jump like dukes of hazzard and I do not like fast off road nor mud!
thanks again for everything,it was nice talking to you!!
I LIVE,I RIDE,I'M JEEP
post #15 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rubicon View Post
I cannot thank you enough!that is exactly the answer I was looking for.
I mostly do crawling,technical stuff,the tarrain is mostly hard clay and gravel,with a lot of suspension travel and off camber.but I don't jump like dukes of hazzard and I do not like fast off road nor mud!
thanks again for everything,it was nice talking to you!!
I LIVE,I RIDE,I'M JEEP
so you never drive it on the road or in the snow?

sure to/from the trails on a nice july day it's fine to have the front end with the hubs switched off.

What about on that icy morning with freezing rain and snow? are you still going to have the front hubs unlocked? I'd think you'd want 4x4. and if you're in 4x4 in those conditions with a detroit, you're going to notice it PUSHES (understeers) really badly, especially with a detroit in the front.

But hey, what do i know, i've only done it.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
so you never drive it on the road or in the snow
So everyone with a 2WD vehicle better stay home all winter
post #17 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
So everyone with a 2WD vehicle better stay home all winter
or get the Hell out of the way. no way would i DD a 2wd vehicle out here (and he's from NJ so his weather is similar to ours).

why have a jeep that's scary in the winter weather? it's not like this is a trail rig.

I'm a fan of detroit lockers. i've run them in several of the 20 jeeps i've owned, but in the front in the snow they can cause some interesting (ie scary) handling.

hey, do what you wanna do, but i'd spend the extra what? 2-300 bucks for a selectable up front.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Rock God

I've run Detroits in both axles for decades. In one of my current rigs I can't use a locking hub and I don't see any difference between that and the rig with hubs. Jeep TJs and YJs have run lunch box lockers and Detroits up front forever and you rarely, if ever, hear of any road complaint in 2wd.

I haven't heard of any ESP related complaints with Detroits in the rear axle in a JK. I have, however, had many complaints about Eaton ELockers for Dana 60s.

Dana 60 ELockers are all a 2 pinion design. They are significantly weaker than the 4 pinion design used in an ARB. The other issue is the engagement ramp design. The Dana 60 (and 44) version exerts more force (due to the design) and tries to push off the stator snap ring. Eaton has slightly modified this design but the unit is much more prone to failure during engagement with unequal wheel speeds than an ARB. Only the Dana 30 and 35 versions (4 pinion and 3 pinion) are comparable to ARB in strength. Their engagement design was also changed and isn't as problematic as the 44 and 60 designs.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm running a Detroit Locker in the rear and I haven't had any issues with ESP/ABS. Over 30K miles on the street w/ no issues.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Been running a Detroit in the front of my JK for 8 months now, no manual hubs, just the stock D30. No issues at all, on or off road. Is a bit different to drive in the snow, but if you have had Detroits before you know what that is like, just takes a little more attention to the road and how you are driving. I would have gone selectable, but at the time of the upgrades I was unemployed and couldn't afford the bling of ARB. I am happy with it, does great on the rocks, and is tougher and less expensive than a selectable. No complaints here whatsoever.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #21 of 22 Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thank you all,I will go with the mighty detroits then withmanual locking hubs!!
post #22 of 22 Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I'm running a Detroit in my front Rock Jock 60. No problems with ABS or ESP during normal driving, but you will know its up there driving on the street with the hubs engaged, especially in tight turns. The Detroit does loosen up and "break-in" over time and behaves a little better than the old Detroits. But mine doesnt affect the ABS/ESP when engaged on the street.

I went with the Detroit up front and Manual locking hubs so I can turn it off on the street. Currie gives you the choice of manual hubs at no additional cost so I went that route. I'm really glad I did, because you can really feel the difference between having the hubs engaged or free on the street - basically the difference between liking it and not liking it.

That Detroit is awesome off road; it just flat out works when it needs to and you don't even know its there......
I have this exact same setup in the front and I have absolutely no complaints. No ABS/ESP problems and with the hubs unlocked it doesn't feel any different than stock on the road. I went with an ARB in the rear. Again no complaints as it drives exactly like the stock setup on the road.

I talked to Currie quite a bit about the lockers before going with this combination. We discussed my needs and what I use the JK for and this is the setup that they recommended. I went with their recommendation and it has worked perfectly for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode