My front end feels really loose - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

My front end feels really loose

2.5" BB + MTRs on 15s with a ton of weight on them (all four of them)

I have gone back thru everything and retorqued it a couple of times but I still have this weird shimmy in my front end and a clunky feeling in my gas pedal and my steering wheel.

I haven't done the grease trick because I don't have a grease gun (believe it or not ) but I don't think that is what it is.

Could it be a steering stabilzer issue?

At highway speeds I keep waiting on something to come loose and send me packin into the wall. I can not figure out what the hell it is.

Let me add to that...my tires obviously aren't balanced. I can see it in this thing that hangs from my windshield bikini mount as well as when I have river tubes in the back and I'm on the highway. They bounce like crazy, but I can't feel it in my seat. How bad is it to have tires like this that aren't balanced?

Sounds like a newb question. LOL

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird

Last edited by MarcusRTJ; 06-23-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I would start by getting the wheels rebalanced.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

I had a similar problem and it was the draglink, it was wore out and my trackbar bushings were wearing. Going down the highway in the wind was a fight because the steering was loose and when I corrected it made me jump around in my lane. After I replaced the DL and the bushings in the TB everything tightened back up...my problem was caused by the fact that nothing is greasable so it wore things out, when I put the new DL on, we drilled and tapped it for zerks and greased it up, it was basically empty of grease and would have worn out pretty quick

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Balance and alignment sound like your problem. Get those checked and see if it helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well thanks gentlemen!

I guess I should take it back over to my alignment guy and have him toe me in a tad to try and correct that some. I didn't do that on this one, maybe thats the shimmy.

The Jeep had a 4" lift on it before I got it and was returned to stock. Maybe there is some wear on that drag link and track bar.

Where can I get the tires re-balanced and not have it cost me an arm and a leg? I got them mounted and balanced at a Firestone in Cedar Park for $55 but that was almost an hour from my house. Discount wanted $180. I'd still like to go park in their showroom for that.

Maybe I should try the airsoft BBs because of the tape weight issue on 15s?

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning

Keeping Austin Weird
post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Rock God

I don't know about TX but Discount Tires here do a super job and they rotate for free.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode